Smith and Solomon starting status for The opener.

Will Smith and Solomon start the opener?

• Both will start

Votes: 103 29.9%
  • Neither will start

Votes: 122 35.4%
  • Smith yes, Solomon no.

Votes: 49 14.2%
  • Solomon yes, Smith no.

Votes: 71 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact that fields, and Martell got approved within weeks is complete bull****. No organization should be able to tell a kid where he can and can't play football. Should be entirely up to the student-athlete's decision.

The fact that fields, and Martell got approved within weeks is complete bull****. No organization should be able to tell a kid where he can and can't play football. Should be entirely up to the student-athlete's decision.
I’m more and more coming around to Jay Bilas Plan (even though he really annoys me at times).
He thinks the Power Five football schools should break away from the NCAA and write a set of rules that are much more cut and dried concerning violations and punishments. That way the “super elite” big money schools can’t exert as much pressure as they currently do.

Reactions: SmokyRiverDog
NCAA is trying to send a message I guess. If you look at the NBA this off-season, you see what’s happening with players jumping ship and reaping benefits. It’s like players are getting rewarded for leaving their teams.
I’m fine with it either way but I think It’s unfair to change course in the middle of summer after others have been granted waivers for no apparent reason other than playing time.

I have been asked to pole our fan base for predictions.
CJP just said they are still waiting to hear any day now from the NCAA concerning Solomon’s eligibility this season.
CJP also said that Smith is practicing with the first team OL but doing no contact work.

So, what say you VolNation, will either and or both play in the opener?

Deer Lord

Didn’t Tavian Feaster transfer from Clemson to USC? Anyone know if he got approved to play yet?

Great points...

But two counterpoints:

If Solomon wasn't going to be cleared, we would know by now. And it Trey Smith couldn't play, we would know by now.

What a conundrum.

Maybe your right about Solomon but who knows. Predicting the NCCAA for us bottom feeders is like plowing the sea.

I don't follow your logic with Smith. If he wasn't going to play then Pruitt wouldn't have him practicing. Even if it was a long shot, I don't think be would be getting that many 1st team reps. Why keep a new guy out of the mix?

Great points...

But two counterpoints:

If Solomon wasn't going to be cleared, we would know by now. And it Trey Smith couldn't play, we would know by now.

What a conundrum.

Maybe you need to quit counterpointing just for the sake of counterpointing. I will stick with my points as stated.

Neither. If Solomon was going to be cleared, we would know by now. And if Smith was going to be medically cleared? Same notation.
Honest question: Would Smith be getting so many reps in practice (I know mostly without contact) if the coaches didn't think he would be cleared? Why wouldn't they give someone else the experience?

Maybe I'm mistaken, and hopefully the football gurus on here can correct me, but I'm starting to feel optimistic that Trey is about to play. Two practices in a row hes been running with the ones. I'm not, nor have I been a football coach, but I would assume that if you were not fairly confident that an injured guy was going to be good to go, youd give those reps / line cohesive snaps to the next man up. Especially if it winds up being one of our freshman.

Maybe I'm mistaken, and hopefully the football gurus on here can correct me, but I'm starting to feel optimistic that Trey is about to play. Two practices in a row hes been running with the ones. I'm not, nor have I been a football coach, but I would assume that if you were not fairly confident that an injured guy was going to be good to go, youd give those reps / line cohesive snaps to the next man up. Especially if it winds up being one of our freshman.
Pruitt...
"In fall camp, we’re coaching everybody the same way. Deangelo Gibbs is not going to play. He took the same amount of reps as Marquez Callaway.”

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
Pruitt...

Oh I certainly understand giving out the reps. But I was thinking that you obviously want your lines to gel, so one would think the starters would practice together and they would bump Trey down to the 2nd or third lines if they just want to get him reps. That's my hope!!!! Trying to be optimistic!!!!

Exactly. Starters need reps TOGETHER. And yet the crowds are supposed to be quieted by the press release “all of our players get the same amount of reps...so and so took the same amount of reps as Callaway.”..... erroneous Pruitt. completely irrelevant. starters need to practice together to devoelop continuity, rapport, and overall comfortability playing with one another. Still waiting on eligibility waivers to be approved three months after the big boys were already approved, and we we had not even filed? Pathetic

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back