Sling TV for watching the Vols

I tried sling and went back to a basic cable with HD. When I cut the cord, the local channels through the antenna came through pretty bad until I bought a pretty expensive antenna that I had to wire around my living room and hang it up where my wife didn't like. That didn't last too long. I'm going to upgrade my cable package when football season starts. Just wasn't a fan of not having dvr with sling and didn't like the reception of the antenna nor slings format.

I currently have Sling TV with every sport channel, which includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News and SEC Network. Unfortunately you cannot get FOX Sports 1 with Sling TV at this time. Everything all together is $25 a month, so not bad at all.

That's the good, but the bad news is I'm switching back to cable for football season. I want FOX Sports 1 but also I really have to have a DVR to record games and I love the ability to pause games and rewind to watch replays. You cannot do that with Sling TV, that's the major drawback in my mind.

Great for the price, and I plan on jumping back to Sling TV once football season is over but I have to have a DVR.

I don't have SlingTV, but I do have a Sling Box and love it. I can watch anything that's on my cable box wherever I am.

I have an Amazon Fire TV box that I side loaded Kodi to. Kodi is great for on demand shows and movies. I just don't trust it for live streaming. I have been using Sling TV via the Amazon Fire TV. It was a little glitchy at first, but they seem to be ironing it out pretty well. I have been watching the top 20 SEC games on the SEC Network. The picture is great for me. When you have Sling, you get access to the Watch ESPN apps. Only 2 concerns. 1) what if a game is on the alternate ESPN channel? 2) I am not sure if you will get the in game highlights of other games. Sling works like ESPN 3 during commercials (ESPN logo with music or ESPN promos). Kind of annoying.

How much $$$?
I don't have Sling TV but have been contemplating making the switch. I believe the base channel package (w/out ESPN channels) is $20/month and then to add the ESPN channels (including SEC Network) it is an extra $5/month.

I don't have Sling TV but have been contemplating making the switch. I believe the base channel package (w/out ESPN channels) is $20/month and then to add the ESPN channels (including SEC Network) it is an extra $5/month.

You get ESPN and ESPN 2 with the $20 deal.

I stream all of the games, not using SlingTV but via the WatchESPN website. I have a much older Netbook attached to my HDTV via HDMI and it works pretty well. My Netbook is connected to my Comcast cable modem via a cat 5 cable but I can also do it wifi. Works great.

I currently have Sling TV with every sport channel, which includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News and SEC Network. Unfortunately you cannot get FOX Sports 1 with Sling TV at this time. Everything all together is $25 a month, so not bad at all.

That's the good, but the bad news is I'm switching back to cable for football season. I want FOX Sports 1 but also I really have to have a DVR to record games and I love the ability to pause games and rewind to watch replays. You cannot do that with Sling TV, that's the major drawback in my mind.

Great for the price, and I plan on jumping back to Sling TV once football season is over but I have to have a DVR.
Ever think about buying an outdoor antenna and adding an OTA TiVo. That's what's what I do. TiVo over the air only cost 49.99 plus 14.95 month. That's all I need and got sling tv it has ESPN 3 for replays but one draw back you can not pause sling tv.

Last edited:
I called Directv today and I am sticking with my dish. No DVR and the buffering issue while trying to watch other games is a no go for me.

I called Directv today and I am sticking with my dish. No DVR and the buffering issue while trying to watch other games is a no go for me.

This is what killed the idea of Sling TV for me as well. When I watch CFB, I watch 3-4 games at once and change the channel constantly. But trying to switch "channels" on Sling means waiting a minute or longer for the feed to buffer and the resolution to change back to 1080p. No bueno.

This is what killed the idea of Sling TV for me as well. When I watch CFB, I watch 3-4 games at once and change the channel constantly. But trying to switch "channels" on Sling means waiting a minute or longer for the feed to buffer and the resolution to change back to 1080p. No bueno.
I use my iPad or iPhone at times while watching my Apple TV. The key word is multiuse not multitask.

VN Store

Back