Slice helps builds Cromp a hunting cabin.

Exterior metal building being put together 9/27 to avoid it being stolen by meth head scrapers. Lol

Awesome. I build homes in Dickson and work commercial construction in Nashvegas. I'm getting tired of it but maybe helping friends is the key to finding the passion for it again.

Awesome. I build homes in Dickson and work commercial construction in Nashvegas. I'm getting tired of it but maybe helping friends is the key to finding the passion for it again.

Tullahoma inspection is about the most backasswards group in the state.
I've gone to remodel, metal roofing, siding ect. I turn jobs faster and am so much happier than house builders. If I could find a way to do small commercial buildout without the BS of inspection I'd be set.
What I need to do is hire and train someone to deal with permit and inspectors so I don't have to. Lol

I've gone to remodel, metal roofing, siding ect. I turn jobs faster and am so much happier than house builders. If I could find a way to do small commercial buildout without the BS of inspection I'd be set.
What I need to do is hire and train someone to deal with permit and inspectors so I don't have to. Lol

Gotta make them uncomfortable so they'll leave fast. Do like I do with telemarketers when they call me, tell them you like what they're wearing, they sound sexy, etc. it works for me! Your inspectors may get away fast.

an architect, we exist for a reason.

I don't know if being on Pinterest makes you gay but I've been accumulating ideas for the interior. Search "Mark Compton Cabin Ideas". Lemme know what you think.

an architect, we exist for a reason.

No offense, but I have yet to ever see an architect onsite to deal with a codes official. I always have plenty of help from them, with pushing plans through the approval process, but never an inspector and architect meeting onsite.

My biggest issue with construction today, is money. Of course everything is driven by it which is a bigger issue, but the construction/architectural world is getting the raw end of the deal.

Owners pay architects to design. The owners (who try to save money) don't won't to pay for an in-depth design of a building so architects can only put so much into it for a proper design. This means less detail, less site visits and a difficult build for the contractors. It's a crazy process and one I understand from each end but it always seems to come back to bite the owners as CO's pile up due to lack of detail.

But owners don't see it that way. They see a contractor money grabbing which causes stress between the contractor and owner/architect team.

It's a crazy process and one I frankly, am getting tired of.

Last edited:
No offense, but I have yet to ever see an architect onsite to deal with a codes official. I always have plenty of help from them, with pushing plans through the approval process, but never an inspector and architect meeting onsite.

My biggest issue with construction today, is money. Of course everything is driven by it which is a bigger issue, but the construction/architectural world is getting the raw end of the deal.

Owners pay architects to design. The owners (who try to save money) don't won't to pay for an in-depth design of a building so architects can only put so much into it for a proper design. This means less detail, less site visits and a difficult build for the contractors. It's a crazy process and one I understand from each end but it always seems to come back to bite the owners as CO's pile up due to lack of detail.

But owners don't see it that way. They see a contractor money grabbing which causes stress between the contractor and owner/architect team.

It's a crazy process and one I frankly, am getting tired of.

we have been out a couple of times, i don't know where you work but maybe with Atlanta being a lot bigger we are more likely to be out there down here than elsewhere. and usually we try to have premeetings if we know there is a questionable area. and as the architect there isn't much we can do in field if it wasn't built to our drawings.

from our stand point its always the contractors fault. :)
most of our answers to their rfis go the same way: "did you see drawing 2 on sheet A4.0?", "hm, no, well start there and call me back if you have questions." "oh you didn't look at our plans on Sheet A1.0 so detail 1 on A4.0 doesn't work? Yeah thats an issue."

good contractors are our best friends, bad ones will end our careers.

and because I have to, I am not an architect yet. dang tests still in my way.

we have been out a couple of times, i don't know where you work but maybe with Atlanta being a lot bigger we are more likely to be out there down here than elsewhere. and usually we try to have premeetings if we know there is a questionable area. and as the architect there isn't much we can do in field if it wasn't built to our drawings.

from our stand point its always the contractors fault. :)
most of our answers to their rfis go the same way: "did you see drawing 2 on sheet A4.0?", "hm, no, well start there and call me back if you have questions." "oh you didn't look at our plans on Sheet A1.0 so detail 1 on A4.0 doesn't work? Yeah thats an issue."

good contractors are our best friends, bad ones will end our careers.

and because I have to, I am not an architect yet. dang tests still in my way.

Well played on the GC part!

We are in Nashville and its a huge issue here.

didn't see slices other thread on stuff he builds but figured i would put this here.

ALL pools are required to be ADA accessible with ramp or lift to the bottom. even if the bottom is 7'-0" down and the MF in his wheelchair drowns trying to get to the bottom he has to have access. I figured there would be a mile and a half of exceptions for pools, but no.

This thread has just about convinced me to desert my old buddy squirrel, as it seems there are some real plans here.... all squirrel got is PBR

sorry H

Will this place have indoor plumbing, or an outhouse?

Build tree-houses and sheds maybe?

VN Store

Back