Singing Rocky Top throughout the Stadium as a fanbase

The throwing stuffing I agree with. There's no place for it. However, after attending sporting events for 43 years a "boo" doesn't bother me nearly as much as things I've heard and been called at other places.

What? Stuffing? This has got to stop.

I think playing the visitor's fight song is classy and booing their team coming onto the field classless. There is nothing intimidating about it anyway and just shows the classless of our student section. People get on here and say other schools do it. But we should not act like other schools. We are Tennessee!

Agree so much! We should ignore the other team when they enter the stadium & just cheer on the Vols! I think singing Rocky Top all the way thru accapella would be cool at the end of the 3rd qtr (as the team sprints to the other end!)Everyone knows the words & if they don't they could put them on the Jumbotron or ribbon board like they do with the alma mater

Reactions: 1 person
I think playing the visitor's fight song is classy and booing their team coming onto the field classless. There is nothing intimidating about it anyway and just shows the classless of our student section. People get on here and say other schools do it. But we should not act like other schools. We are Tennessee!

Wow! Your comment is so mannerly! Fans booing other teams at a competitive sporting event, now that is the real definition of classless!

It's a football game for goodness sakes, not a formal dinner! Lighten up bro!

Reactions: 2 people
How about we leave the organized singing and chanting to the Catholic church and we just concentrate on making a lot of noise and winning?

Booing the other team will always be a part of my Neyland game day experience.

Don't care how classy / classless it is - sounds like something a Bama or Nebraska fan would complain about.

Booing the other team will always be a part of my Neyland game day experience.

Don't care how classy / classless it is - sounds like something a Bama or Nebraska fan would complain about.

Shows how little you know about UT history. It has not always been part of Neyland game day. It is still classless.

Hey everyone---

Last year we did the checkerboard...I think this year I would like to start up something cool---if we could all synchronize at say 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter and get the entire stadium to sing Rocky Top in its entirety without the band's help or any music being piped in---I think it could create a really awesome environment.

As a musician, this would make my ears bleed.

With no accompaniment, who knows what key it will end up in. The tuning effect will eventually come to being (well, hopefully, it's a lot of people).

I just don't see a bunch of musically untrained people making a good sound. Even trained people in small groups have a difficult time sounding good! (Accapella especially. I did a barbershop QUARTET and it took us 4 months to be performance ready. It still wasn't perfect)

Last edited:
You guys nailed it booing the other team is the most classless thing that we have ever done as a fan base. It's right up there next to making noise while the other team is trying to call plays. How can they hear if we are being loud during that time? It's common courtesy people you don't talk while other people are talking classless to the highest degree....[/bluefont]

Seriously though, its booing the other team, its what you do regardless of the sport there's nothing classless about it just like you don't cheer when they score, its called a hostile environment for a reason. The only time booing is classless is if you are booing your own players, that's indefensible.

Reactions: 5 people
Shows how little you know about UT history. It has not always been part of Neyland game day. It is still classless.

What your post tells me is you do not know much about the history. Let's just say I have been going to Neyland Stadium, off and on, since 1960 and during the "big games" there is not one time I did not hear UT fans boo the opposing team!

Like I said before, it is a competitive sporting even and all in good fun (for the most part)! Get over it! Fans are fans! You need to get off your high horse if you think UT fans are any different than any other fan base with regards to booing.

All fans show emotion! Our fan base is no better or worse than any other fan base in showing emotion on game day.

:loco:

Last edited:
Booing fama and Lk dbag is a pleasure, keep up the good work!! Plus I don't care for playing the other teams school song, at away games do they play RockyTop for us?

Ok, but that's also something different.

I'm talking about when the pride of the southland plays the opposing school's fight song before the game, and in turn our fans start booing. Done before the other team runs out on the field.

While there may be times that call for booing at the other team, I feel that when our band is playing their fight song, that is a sign of sportsmanship and should be boo-free. Again, my personal opinion that it is a sign of sportsmanship, and I would want them to respect their own band when playing our fight song at their stadium if the gesture was offered. If they booed their own band for playing our fight song, then I would consider them classless (whether Bama, Kentucky, or anyone else). I would expect it from Florida, as they threw out all hope for class back when they hired Spurrier.

And sorry, to me, Rocky Top didn't need a "woo" back in the 70's, 80's, or early 90's, and it doesn't now. Again, just my opinion.

Hey everyone---

Last year we did the checkerboard...I think this year I would like to start up something cool---if we could all synchronize at say 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter and get the entire stadium to sing Rocky Top in its entirety without the band's help or any music being piped in---I think it could create a really awesome environment.

I'm game, but I'm not doing the "WOOOOOOOO", and I'm not dipping the "me" at the end of "home sweet home to Me." Both of those say, "I is ignurnt and PROUUUD of it."

Last edited:
If we have to have a guitar solo on the jumbotron... make it AC/DCs "Thunderstruck: after each score. Then Rocky Top at the end after we have kicked their rear ends.

VN Store

Back