Signal Mountain

I'm not sure who the bigger coward is between them and South Pitt.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

eh, at least South Pittsburg is playing in the correct division. That school is tiny. How they convince families to move there though, I have no idea. There is no way everyone on all those teams grew up in that town.

They got so good so quickly because they recruited players away from Baylor and Red Bank. And they stole a state championship last year playing 2A when they should have been in 3A.

What's hilarious is that when TSSAA forced them to move up this year, they were supposed to be in 3A, but they voluntarily moved up to 4A because they wanted no part of Alcoa.

Not so much Baylor, most of the kids that left Baylor to go to Signal when I was there already lived on Signal. I know they have a bunch of kids from Chat Central and Howard though through some zoning loophole

If by recruiting you mean "offering a great education without tuition" then I would agree.

You might have to take this back soon. TSSAA is investigating SM over a player who "transferred" from north GA, is playing for SM now, but doesn't live in SM's zone.

the spin, or legit excuse, depending on your side, is that he moved to chattanooga and was permitted to attended signal because no child left behind grants that a student living in a failing school zone may transfer to a non-failing school in that district. tssaa approved the move before the year and someone complained, so they have to investigate.

if it's a joke it's a joke that goes on all over hamilton county. plenty of the the non-failing schools (failing per nclb) in the county have benefited from athletes in various sports transferring in using this federal rule, as i understand it. .

the spin, or legit excuse, depending on your side, is that he moved to chattanooga and was permitted to attended signal because no child left behind grants that a student living in a failing school zone may transfer to a non-failing school in that district. tssaa approved the move before the year and someone complained, so they have to investigate.

if it's a joke it's a joke that goes on all over hamilton county. plenty of the the non-failing schools (failing per nclb) in the county have benefited from athletes in various sports transferring in using this federal rule, as i understand it..

As I'm understanding it... I think where they will get into hot water is the fact that the kid is still living in catoosa county, GA. I think even if you change school due to a failing AYP in your county, you still have to live in your new school's "zone" to be eligible. Also the player in question participated in the spring game in May with his old school in GA, which thickens the plot a little. I could be mistaken.

In other news I think the TSSAA is a joke. (not because of this situation)

As I'm understanding it... I think where they will get into hot water is the fact that the kid is still living in catoosa county, GA. I think even if you change school due to a failing AYP in your county, you still have to live in your new school's "zone" to be eligible. Also the player in question participated in the spring game in May with his old school in GA, which thickens the plot a little. I could be mistaken.

If LFO is a failing school, then no public school in Hamilton County should be passing.

if it's a joke it's a joke that goes on all over hamilton county. plenty of the the non-failing schools (failing per nclb) in the county have benefited from athletes in various sports transferring in using this federal rule, as i understand it. .

So it's Bush's fault?

it states in this article he lives in brainerd.

before i read this article it was my understanding after the 11pm news that he was ineligible because he played spring ball with lfo. if the tssaa standard is that a student has to live in the school zone of which he plays athletics, they have a gigantic widespread problem throughout the state.

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association has notified Signal Mountain High School that its football program is guilty of playing an ineligible player and must vacate all six wins this season.

According to Executive Director Bernard Childress, two TSSAA assistant directors spent several hours at the school conducting interviews Thursday. The TSSAA staff met early Friday morning and Childress faxed the official letter of notice Friday afternoon.

The ineligible player is 6-foot-2, 240-pound running back and linebacker Tim McClendon, who transferred form Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe during the summer and started for Signal Mountain in all seven games this season.

He will not be allowed to play in any more football games for the Eagles.

“Whoever at Signal Mountain filled out the online transfer form made a mistake,” Childress said. “All of our eligibility forms are submitted by the administration of our schools. In this case whoever filled it out clicked ‘yes’ that the student-athlete’s new residence is inside Signal Mountain’s zone. It’s not. Once we checked to see exactly where his house is, we realized he’s in Brainerd’s zone, not Signal Mountain’s, and declared him ineligible immediately.

“He had originally been ruled eligible, but the original information we had received was incorrect, so we had to come back and change the status.”

Childress added that McClendon’s athletic eligibility status had nothing to do with the No Child Left Behind law.

VN Store

Back