Should we be happy?

Wylo

Nega what?
I'm actually being serious. I have no damn clue any more. I thought I was going to be happy when we got a new coach. I thought there was no way Tennessee could fubar this up.

Boy was I wrong.

I honestly have pretty much checked out. I haven't had the stomach for the last few days. I am ready for the nightmare to end.

Fulmer? Is this a good thing? Please someone tell me if I should be happy.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm actually being serious. I have no damn clue any more. I thought I was going to be happy when we got a new coach. I thought there was no way Tennessee could fubar this up.

Boy was I wrong.

I honestly have pretty much checked out. I haven't had the stomach for the last few days. I am ready for the nightmare to end.

Be happy we didn't get Schiano rammed down our throats Sunday. Be happy Doeren said No. Be happy Currie can't bury our program.

Everything else is debatable I guess.

Reactions: 3 people
It's a good thing. Tennessee did not screw it up. The AD and his puppet master screwed it up just like the puppet master has done to Cleveland.

Fulmer is dedicated to UT. He might not succeed but he will give it 110% to find the right coach.

It's a good thing. Tennessee did not screw it up. The AD and his puppet master screwed it up just like the puppet master has done to Cleveland.

Fulmer is dedicated to UT. He might not succeed but he will give it 110% to find the right coach.

Look, I agree with the source of the problem as you state it. But, this is a State institution with duly elected/hired leaders being paid excessive amounts of money to LEAD. If those leaders allow someone to buy their way into that decision making process, then the duly hired or elected leaders are FAILING.

Yes, I blame the wealthy and power hungry outside forces as well. But, at the end of the day, UT officials are 100% responsible for all of this.

Hopefully, and I mean hopefully, today's event signals the moment where UT officials took back responsibility and control of this chaos. Hopefully that leads to proper decisions based on the goals of UT first and foremost. HOPEFULLY!

Last edited:

Boy was I wrong.

YES! You should be very happy. Today was a great day! Why?

Think about how bad TN has been for 9yrs. Think about all the head scratching decisions that have been made over that period of time (Dooley? seriously). Think about how poorly this coach search was handled. Think about the fact that Currie said he was going to get a homerun hire and then tried to walk Schiano out. Think about the debates about Currie vs Blackburn and how that unfolded with Currie coming out of left fied (similar to Schiano coming out of left field?). Hamilton mishandling Bruce situation. And so much more.

Now, what is the common denominator of all these bad decisions?

Jimmy Haslam.

Some he was directly involved in (see Currie & Schiano). Others are a by-product of his bad decisions and leadership (Hamilton mishandling everything because he was inept: see bruce, see Kiffin only having a $900k buy-out). Today his grip of over our program was lessened. Fulmer is not a Haslam yes man. Davenport naming Fulmer instead of Sigmon was a sign that she is willing to buck the Haslam influence as well, this is huge! It was a full on coup by the boosters to take back control of the AD and rid it of the incompetence of Haslam. Now this was just a battle victory, the war has not been won but enjoy this victory friend.

Also, know that things had to get ugly before they could get better. This was because Haslam refused to relent in his control. Things may still be ugly for awhile too. The past 10yrs under that tyrant has severely damaged the program but rest easy because the same people that have been making the decisions the past 10yrs are no longer in control. The decisions being made by Fulmer and the new regime are truly for the best interest of the program and university. Don't pay attention to the national and even a lot of the local media, Haslam and Sexton are powerful people that will try to paint people involved in a negative light. It is already being done by Feldman, Forde, etc.

These events are much bigger than one coach, it was about who had say in the decisions being made and what their true intentions are. Alas, this was just a battle victory the snake is still in the grass. Hopefully Fulmer and the faction of boosters that are against Haslam can completely eradicate his influence

Last edited:
It's all about perspective at this point and whichever viewpoint you take determines if there's any happiness to be found. It's funny, all the crazy crap that's been going on and you still don't really hear anybody saying "I wish Butch Jones was still our coach." Not meaning to crap on CBJ but it's so clear he needed to go, even looking back from here.

But are we in a good spot now? Ehhh, better than yesterday, I suppose... maybe. Probably better than a month ago when it comes down to it. The next several days will tell us if we can actually be happy though.

Look, I agree with the source of the problem as you state it. But, this is a State institution with duly elected/hired leaders being paid excessive amounts of money to LEAD. If those leaders allow someone to buy their way into that decision making process, then the duly hired or elected leaders are FAILING.

Yes, I blame the wealthy and power hungry outside forces as well. But, at the end of the day, UT officials are 100% responsible for all of this.

Hopefully, and I mean hopefully, today's event signals the moment where UT officials took back responsibility and control of this chaos. Hopefully that leads to proper decisions based on the goals of UT first and foremost. HOPEFULLY!

I honestly don't mean this to sound like an insult but that is a naive perspective. State officials are like politicians. This is the US, MONEY = POWER. This is a university and they are dependent upon boosters and their donations from stadium renovations to academic buildings. Boosters have power at every university, the difference with us is our primary booster is a corrupt POS who's interests are self serving.

Now it seems Davenport and Dipietro, to their credit, has seen Haslam's true colors. With their backs against the wall they publicly bucked his authority and given control of the AD to the other faction of boosters. We'll see how it plays out

It's all about perspective at this point and whichever viewpoint you take determines if there's any happiness to be found. It's funny, all the crazy crap that's been going on and you still don't really hear anybody saying "I wish Butch Jones was still our coach." Not meaning to crap on CBJ but it's so clear he needed to go, even looking back from here.

But are we in a good spot now? Ehhh, better than yesterday, I suppose... maybe. Probably better than a month ago when it comes down to it. The next several days will tell us if we can actually be happy though.

People need to brace themselves, the hire may be underwhelming. Our program has been severely damaged and it can't be fixed overnight and possibly not with one hire. There are bigger issues at play here and many things still have to be worked out

Short term IÂ’m sad that Leach probably isnÂ’t going to happen.

But. Long term I think having one of our own as AD was what we needed. I have faith we will bring in someone who can get this turned around.

This is a GREAT thing! Poor and misguided leadership has killed Tennessee for almost a decade now. We just watched the fans and VFLs take back the ship.

If you’re not convinced, just look at all the VFLs who have been celebrating and basically saying “finally!”

Boy was I wrong.

Be happy you are a fan of a place this passionate about football.GBO!!!!!

Why not try being a little happy? We havent had much to be happy about in a long time as vol fans.

One part of the cancer has been removed. Hopefully the rest will be excised.

If you've been looking for time and reason to exercise more, read some great books, or take up a new hobby you should be ecstatic. More time to read is always good!

I disagree that the last 9 years have been a disaster. 9-4 season is not a disaster and finishing with a blowout bowl win is certainly not. Of course we want more...and deserve it...and we blew some games but 9-4 and a good bowl win is not some total failure. Let's be real.

But...this past season was an all time low point for sure.

Reactions: 1 person

Boy was I wrong.

Did I have a mini stroke and missed we hired a coach?

Be happy when we get a competent coach. I'm still mad that we have likely screwed up and won't get Leach, who simply makes every program he touches much much better than he finds it and plays damn exciting football.

The people who keep saying this is a blow against the Haslam's need to read Travis' story from earlier. The Haslam's abandoned Currie, that's why he was fired. No other reason. As Travis pointed out, AD interviews were held in Bill Haslam's office with he, Jimmy and Peyton. Bill Haslam, as governor can remove DiPietro, Davenport, Currie or whomever he wishes. He can also fill the entire UT BoT. If you think what happened today happened without Haslam approval, I've got a bridge with a great view of Neyland for sale.

I disagree that the last 9 years have been a disaster. 9-4 season is not a disaster and finishing with a blowout bowl win is certainly not. Of course we want more...and deserve it...and we blew some games but 9-4 and a good bowl win is not some total failure. Let's be real.

But...this past season was an all time low point for sure.

hahat what.. we are 58-57 over the past 9yrs, we have lost 4 of our last 6 to vanderbit, have lost to UK twice which is more than the previous 30yrs combined, we're going on our 5th coach in 10yrs, we just had the worst season in program history, and we currently have a losing record to every team in the sec to name just a few, but not all, of the shat we've gone through... if that isn't a complete disaster then what exactly would you consider a disaster?

Reactions: 3 people

Boy was I wrong.

I have not seen many (or any) posts by you that have ever indicated that you were happy, so I don't expect that to change.

Reactions: 4 people

Boy was I wrong.

Be happy... for the first time since Doug Dickey we have someone that actually cares about UT, the UT athletics department & the UT fans as the AD.

hahat what.. we are 58-57 over the past 9yrs, we have lost 4 of our last 6 to vanderbit, have lost to UK twice which is more than the previous 30yrs combined, we're going on our 5th coach in 10yrs, we just had the worst season in program history, and we currently have a losing record to every team in the sec to name just a few, but not all, of the shat we've gone through... if that isn't a complete disaster then what exactly would you consider a disaster?

Wow....after reading your post I think I'll add a little bourbon to my coffee.

I'm waiting to see who is hired. I'm sad that it won't be Leach, but we essentially hit the refresh button.

VN Store

Back