Should DK have his number retired by the University?

Should DK have his number retired?

• Yes

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 128 57.1%
  • I like pie

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
Would you think he is as/more/less deserving as Chris Lofton? We both know he is better than Grant, but do you think DK was more valuable than any player we've had since Houston? BTW, if Barnes would have had those players in the Houston era, he would have made 4 straight NCAA tournaments
The Houston era? Idk about that team but I’m 100% sure RB would’ve had the Jerry Green era teams in a couple of Final 4’s. They were LOADED.

Would you think he is as/more/less deserving as Chris Lofton? We both know he is better than Grant, but do you think DK was more valuable than any player we've had since Houston? BTW, if Barnes would have had those players in the Houston era, he would have made 4 straight NCAA tournaments
Based on both individual and team success, I think DK belongs. Houston was an excellent college player but if memory serves me correctly, any of his teams only made it to the NIT.

Reactions: amorange
Hell no not for one good season and no chip. Tony White deserves it before him. I really appreciate the season he gave us but no

Last edited:
One year players ,as a general rule, don't get statues or numbers retired. Thread titles to have thread that probably 99.9% all have the same answer to the question...NO. Almost like today every participant in youth get a trophy for showing up. Sorry this thread is like my opinion on here...most ignore me as not relevant. Thanks to Dalton very much! Just not over the top...

I was joking about the statue, haha! But, we could really go overboard and make FCC at TBA look like this! (again, I jest)

8E28C4E2-857F-4336-BD63-18809387A14B.jpeg

Reactions: volfanhill
Not old enough to remember Houston. 34. I think he is as deserving as Lofton. And the powers that be didn't think Lofton deserved it. Is what it is.
But his number is retired

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I don’t like the “he was only here one year” argument for why he shouldn’t have it retired. He accomplished more in one year than the significant majority of any Vol to wear the Orange and White. Why should his impact on the university only be measured by how many years he spent here?

My vote is an unequivocal yes. There are only two or three players, IMO, that I think have an argument for having accomplished more than he did in his time here. He is very clearly one of the 3-4 best players to put on the jersey here and he took us to our 2nd ever Elite 8 in addition to all of his individual accolades.

People on this board like to constantly talk about how “March is all that matters”. Well, if that’s true, he should be in the rafters.

I don’t like the “he was only here one year” argument for why he shouldn’t have it retired. He accomplished more in one year than the significant majority of any Vol to wear the Orange and White. Why should his impact on the university only be measured by how many years he spent here?

My vote is an unequivocal yes. There are only two or three players, IMO, that I think have an argument for having accomplished more than he did in his time here. He is very clearly one of the 3-4 best players to put on the jersey here and he took us to our 2nd ever Elite 8 in addition to all of his individual accolades.

People on this board like to constantly talk about how “March is all that matters”. Well, if that’s true, he should be in the rafters.
What he said

The Houston era? Idk about that team but I’m 100% sure RB would’ve had the Jerry Green era teams in a couple of Final 4’s. They were LOADED.
Houston, as in Wade, got some pretty damn good talent up there. He really didn't know how to "coach". He was Denny Crum's recruiter. Smart guy, just wasn't a program building type coach. Lost on game days at times

If the media didn't already have their bias for player of the year, then DK would get those awards soon.

It doesn’t send a good message to future transfers if you can’t have your jersey retired because you were here for one year. Especially if you were one of the best to ever put on an orange jersey.

One year players ,as a general rule, don't get statues or numbers retired. Thread titles to have thread that probably 99.9% all have the same answer to the question...NO. Almost like today every participant in youth get a trophy for showing up. Sorry this thread is like my opinion on here...most ignore me as not relevant. Thanks to Dalton very much! Just not over the top...
Well, your 99.9% NO bit doesn't seem to be happening.

And he's almost like kids getting participation trophies for showing up? lol @ you

Reactions: amorange
He missed the single season scoring record by 28 points. That may have qualified him for the honor if the committee decided it was a significant career record.

Otherwise, as much as we love him, he doesn't qualify under the current criteria. You want it to be a very rare and very hard to achieve honor. That way it truly reflects the players who made near legendary impact on your program.

Reactions: Vol4gzus
Rather than retire his jersey to honor his performances, I think there's a better way for his work ethic to be "memorialized" by the team.

If an incoming player wants that number (for any reason) there should be a prepared little video showing how hard Dalton worked to achieve all that he did. The question then from the team to that player would be, "Show us before the season starts that you've earned the right (by the work you put in, not necessarily the results) to wear Knecht's number, and we'll vote on it before the first game."

That way, Knecht's career here continues to invest back into the program in a positive, motivating way, and fans will be reminded of Dalton's season here whenever we have a player who has earned the right to wear his number.

Reactions: rdwheelersc6181
Well, your 99.9% NO bit doesn't seem to be happening.

And he's almost like kids getting participation trophies for showing up? lol @ you
Said probably....you missed the point on everybody gets a trophy these days so why not give every outstanding player a number in the rafters regardless of how many years they played?

VN Store

Back