Serrano heading to Bama as pitching coach....

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/kendallrogersd1/status/874359180504821761[/Twitter]

He needs to stop pulling his head. He's swinging for the fences and missing the ball every time.

He'll keep swinging for the fences because he hopes people remember only the dingers.

This rumor puzzled me from the start because Bohannon has been in the conference and watched Serrano not produce a single all-conference pitcher (1st team, 2nd team, or freshman) in six years at UT or any pitchers who have been high in the conference stats except in innings pitched or complete games, which was necessary because of how thin the staff was every year. It's hard to imagine any SEC coach watching the UT pitching staff during CDS' tenure and saying, "Man, I need a guy who can build me a staff that looks like that!" Bohannon had a pretty good view of it.

Somebody is trying awfully hard to keep alive the idea that CDS is still in demand at the top of the college baseball world: if the planted rumors are to be believed, he could have stayed at UT, he could have been a contender at Virginia Tech, and he chose not to be Alabama's pitching coach. It's as if the last six years never made it onto his resume, as if he's the only coach in college baseball who doesn't have to answer, "What have you done for me lately?"

It just feels like we're still being played, like when his teams got hyped and ranked in the pre-season based on the same d1baseball.com guys taking his word for how good the Vols would be.

I think CDS will get another job, and I hope he does well at it, but I think the coaching job market is such that he'll have to drop a couple rungs on the ladder and climb his way back up again. He's still young enough to be able to do it.

But I just don't see his conference record at UT leading to a lateral or one-step-down move in such a hyper-competitive profession.

Reactions: 2 people
He'll keep swinging for the fences because he hopes people remember only the dingers.

This rumor puzzled me from the start because Bohannon has been in the conference and watched Serrano not produce a single all-conference pitcher (1st team, 2nd team, or freshman) in six years at UT or any pitchers who have been high in the conference stats except in innings pitched or complete games, which was necessary because of how thin the staff was every year. It's hard to imagine any SEC coach watching the UT pitching staff during CDS' tenure and saying, "Man, I need a guy who can build me a staff that looks like that!" Bohannon had a pretty good view of it.

Somebody is trying awfully hard to keep alive the idea that CDS is still in demand at the top of the college baseball world: if the planted rumors are to be believed, he could have stayed at UT, he could have been a contender at Virginia Tech, and he chose not to be Alabama's pitching coach. It's as if the last six years never made it onto his resume, as if he's the only coach in college baseball who doesn't have to answer, "What have you done for me lately?"

It just feels like we're still being played, like when his teams got hyped and ranked in the pre-season based on the same d1baseball.com guys taking his word for how good the Vols would be.

I think CDS will get another job, and I hope he does well at it, but I think the coaching job market is such that he'll have to drop a couple rungs on the ladder and climb his way back up again. He's still young enough to be able to do it.

But I just don't see his conference record at UT leading to a lateral or one-step-down move in such a hyper-competitive profession.

He didn't choose not to go to Bama. He was passed over and the reason has nothing to with baseball IMO.

He didn't choose not to go to Bama. He was passed over and the reason has nothing to with baseball IMO.

From what I have heard, Bohannon was being pushed to hire Serrano as his pitching coach. There has been resistance to this and Bruin is right about non baseball reasons being a big deterrence to this happening.

Tony Skole is now the head baseball coach at The Citadel, his alma mater according to a column in today's Knoxville News Sentinel.

Tony Skole is now the head baseball coach at The Citadel, his alma mater according to a column in today's Knoxville News Sentinel.

That's been out there for about 10 days, now. He resigned at ETSU last week. Formal introduction at The Citadel is supposed to be tomorrow, or at least that was the plan late last week.

No surprise, really. Skole played both baseball and football at The Citadel and is in The Citadel Sports Hall of Fame. Skole will be only the 3rd baseball coach since 1965 there, as they are loyal to their alumni.

Plus he is going to nearly double his salary and get to live in one of the most beautiful cities in America. Can't hardly blame him for jumping at that opportunity.

Reactions: 1 person
That's been out there for about 10 days, now. He resigned at ETSU last week. Formal introduction at The Citadel is supposed to be tomorrow, or at least that was the plan late last week.

No surprise, really. Skole played both baseball and football at The Citadel and is in The Citadel Sports Hall of Fame. Skole will be only the 3rd baseball coach since 1965 there, as they are loyal to their alumni.

Plus he is going to nearly double his salary and get to live in one of the most beautiful cities in America. Can't hardly blame him for jumping at that opportunity.

Agreed. No one can fault a man for wanting to return to his alma mater as the HC. Also, The Citadel has been very solid in baseball.

I was surprised to see he had a losing record at ETSU.

Agreed. No one can fault a man for wanting to return to his alma mater as the HC. Also, The Citadel has been very solid in baseball.

I was surprised to see he had a losing record at ETSU.

ETSU is not an easy place to win consistently. They don't get anywhere near the full 11.7 schollies to give. The number I have heard over the years has been in the 5-6 range.

Skole has done a good job of getting solid Knoxville area prospects. Be interesting to see if that continues under whoever they end up hiring, or if it will allow TnTech and APSU to make more progress in the Knoxville area.

Not asking for specifics, but might this "issue" be responsible, in part, for his lack of success at UT?

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 17h17 hours ago
More
Keep an eye on former #Vols skipper Dave Serrano for the pitching coach jobs at @WVUBaseball and @UHCougarBB. Heavily in the mix for both.

More
Kendall Rogers Retweeted Joshua Ling
Hearing Serrano will be in the mix for Arizona State as well. Stay tuned.

More
Keep an eye on former #Vols skipper Dave Serrano for the pitching coach jobs at @WVUBaseball and @UHCougarBB. Heavily in the mix for both.

More
Kendall Rogers Retweeted Joshua Ling
Hearing Serrano will be in the mix for Arizona State as well. Stay tuned.

When CDS does sign his next contract, I hope he gives Kendall Rogers a commission. He's earned it by pushing him for every open job on the coaching carousel.

D1 Baseball.com - Kendall Rogers

Coaching Buzz Notebook: June 27

The Assistant Carousel...

Arizona State/West Virginia: The Sun Devils are on the verge of potentially making a pitching coach hire. So, who are the Devils targeting? Former Tennessee head coach Dave Serrano is choosing between West Virginia and Arizona State at some point today. Some might laugh at the idea of that even being a question, but remember, ASU is perceived in some circles as having at least some instability (whether that’s a fair assessment or not), while WVU is considered to be rather stable and closer to his family in Knoxville. It will be fascinating to see which route Serrano goes after turning down overtures from Alabama earlier this summer.

TIFWIW......OT

D1 Baseball.com - Kendall Rogers

Coaching Buzz Notebook: June 27

The Assistant Carousel...

Arizona State/West Virginia: The Sun Devils are on the verge of potentially making a pitching coach hire. So, who are the Devils targeting? Former Tennessee head coach Dave Serrano is choosing between West Virginia and Arizona State at some point today. Some might laugh at the idea of that even being a question, but remember, ASU is perceived in some circles as having at least some instability (whether that’s a fair assessment or not), while WVU is considered to be rather stable and closer to his family in Knoxville. It will be fascinating to see which route Serrano goes after turning down overtures from Alabama earlier this summer.

TIFWIW......OT

Looks like West Virginia for Serrano

VN Store

Back