Selection committee is a farce.

The process of choosing the at larges is inherently subjective. The process of selecting the seeds is inherently subjective. Even the things you think are objective, like RPI, are not completely pure.

They take into account a number of variables, such as bad losses, good wins, conference finish, head -to-head, non-conference schedule and results, last 5, last 10, and on and on.

You can say that MSU beat Florida by 6 in mid-March. But I can point out to you that Florida beat MSU by 8 just a month earlier. You can say you beat Kentucky in the regular season, but they trounced you in the tournament.

All of these things matter, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you start trying to explain or reason out why the brackets are the way they are based on a perspective of one, two, or three of these criteria.

Oh please, just be lucky you got in and send the committee some flowers for not allowing your program to be even more irrelevant.

Another thing, using the S-curve (where you have the best 1 seed matched up with the worst 2 seed and so on) Gtown would be the top 3 seed and we would be the bottom 6 seed. WTF?

Oh please, just be lucky you got in and send the committee some flowers for not allowing your program to be even more irrelevant.

I am very grateful we got in.

But irrelevant? In the last five years, we have two national championships. You can't get out of the Sweet 16 to save your life. I wouldn't be calling anyone else irrelevant for the time being.

Why do we even talk about the RPI anymore? Several years ago that was all the committee preached. That is until Tennessee was #1 in the RPI. They need continuity. They need have prescribed methods for seeding. Not what Pearl calls "moving targets"

This is what bothers me. The BCS, for all it's shortcomings, at least has a mathematical formula to it. It's not based purely off of opinion. The committee just gets to run wild and pick whoever and whatever, whenever they want. :eek:hmy:

This is what bothers me. The BCS, for all it's shortcomings, at least has a mathematical formula to it. It's not based purely off of opinion. The committee just gets to run wild and pick whoever and whatever, whenever they want. :eek:hmy:
The BCS is utter garbage.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The BCS is utter garbage.

I agree. My point is at least there will be some consistency. The only consistency I've noticed in the selection committee is bias for Duke.:crazy:

I don't know whether a formula or whether polls/opinions is the better way to go to be honest. Either way someone gets shafted, I suppose. But this year seemed especially bad.

I am very grateful we got in.

But irrelevant? In the last five years, we have two national championships. You can't get out of the Sweet 16 to save your life. I wouldn't be calling anyone else irrelevant for the time being.

UT basketball has been more relevant than Florida over the last three years. Billy D really needed to make the tournament this year for a number of reasons, including recruiting. Going to 2 NITs and lucking yourself into a 10 seed after winning two titles is a sign of a program becoming irrelevant, especially when your school doesn't care about basketball already.

Another thing, using the S-curve (where you have the best 1 seed matched up with the worst 2 seed and so on) Gtown would be the top 3 seed and we would be the bottom 6 seed. WTF?

I think the S-curve falls off after the 4-seed line or so because too many other bracketing rules come into play at that point.

There are complex computer models that are helping to solve a lot of the worlds problems. If they really wanted to, they could construct ones for determining things like this, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

I think the S-curve falls off after the 4-seed line or so because too many other bracketing rules come into play at that point.

True. We couldn't be in the same bracket as UK or Vandy. I thought the committee would put us in the Midwest for the possible rematch with KU, but I thought it would be as the 5 seed (which would have made the rematch much more likely).

The selection committee is a joke.

I do find it interesting that these numb-skulls took the opportunity to drop UT like a rock; ignoring the fact we are the only team to beat both #1 and #2, and our record in the SEC, but then use the fact that Florida won one of two games against TENNESSEE, and that win alone qualified Florida to be included.

The cannot, and will not, try to explain it, but it is the best evidence of their total stupidity.

We did not play well against KY, but 30 foul shots to 15, and the timing of the fouls certainly gave KY all the help they needed.

Mike Hamilton and Slive should be raising cane about this injustice, but I expect them to sit quietly and allow this crap to continue.

BTW, besides having the toughest bracket, if KU is the #1 overall seed, why aren't they playing the winner of the play-in game?

Because the play-in winner plays a Friday-Sunday bracket because they have to play on Tuesday. Kansas is in a Thursday-Saturday bracket.
Kansas also has a much easier half of the bracket than Kentucky IMO.

I think they way we lost our games is the reason we're a six seed... Each loss was a blowout, whether it be Vandy, USC, Florida... You look at San Diego St even, their losses were close, competitive games to the end (2-5 pt losses)... I have a feelng the blowout vs Kentucky solidified our seed

As it should have.

Haha do you guys ever go back and read what you've posted..

Were a 6 seed.. Could have been alot worse, We hurt our selves when we we pretty much threw in the towel with 8 mins to go in the Kentucky game.. We were beat both times by Vandy and beat by USC...

With all the good we have done, we've also looked flat out horrible at times this year..

Be happy with a 6 seed..

After the Memphis game and the Incident, If you would have told me we would end up a 6 seed playing SDSU I wouldn't have taken it in a heart beat..

UT basketball has been more relevant than Florida over the last three years. Billy D really needed to make the tournament this year for a number of reasons, including recruiting. Going to 2 NITs and lucking yourself into a 10 seed after winning two titles is a sign of a program becoming irrelevant, especially when your school doesn't care about basketball already.

Stop sniffing glue.

Stop sniffing glue.

I have to agree with him LW, FLA has been pretty miserable to watch in basketball the last 3 years.. Billy hasn't had anyone run the court anywhere close to what he had when you guys had the 4 Elites..

His gameplan the last 3 years has been quite sub-par and almost boring..

VN Store

Back