SEC Tournament Quarterfinals, Tennessee vs. Ole Miss Official Game Thread

Nice Win VOLS! We need this kind of EFFORT tomorrow but we'll need better EXECUTION to pull out a W, especially from Hopson.

Does Ole Miss make the NCAA Tournament? Their "resume" is weak.

No. They're only 56 in the RPI, and the only two impressive wins they have are over Kansas State and UTEP (RPI of 39) back before Christmas. Their best wins in the SEC are Bama (twice), Jawja and South Carolina.

They will be about a 2 seed in the NIT.

Maybe, because a lot of other "bubble" teams that had a chance to pass them have epically failed the last few days. They might back in.

I think they have a decent shot with so many teams losing that were ahead of them on the bubble. If Washington is in the "last 4 in" and makes it, Ole Miss will make it imo.

IMO, it wouldn’t be a bad thing if we lost tomorrow. Teams who have played 4 games in 4 days have not typically faired well in the NCAA Tourney.

good to see Tatum picking up Hopson's slack today. If we ever, ever, ever have a game where we get both of those guys going, watch out. Chism, Prince and Maze finally seem to be giving us consistent production from game to game, as seniors should. (I'll give Chism a mulligan on the MSU game, since he was very banged up.) Williams does what he does - grabs boards, makes a few good passes.

IMO, it wouldn’t be a bad thing if we lost tomorrow. Teams who have played 4 games in 4 days have not typically faired well in the NCAA Tourney.

They'd have 3 full days to recover. Physical exertion wouldn't be the reason if they lost. It'd be mental unfocus, which could happen either way.

Yeah agreed.

I think there was a stat too about like I think it was 7 of the last 8 teams that won the national championship didn't win their conference tourneys (I believe they said that yesterday during the lsu game)

but yeah, I don't like the fact of 4 games in 4 days, finishing a day after almost every other team it seems, and the only getting 3 to at most 4 days to rest between games, 1 of which have to be used for travel (and maybe timezone adjustment if we end up on the west coast)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They'd have 3 full days to recover. Physical exertion wouldn't be the reason if they lost. It'd be mental unfocus, which could happen either way.

The other team having nearly a week off would likely have an effect too

I think there was a stat too about like I think it was 7 of the last 8 teams that won the national championship didn't win their conference tourneys (I believe they said that yesterday during the lsu game)
Didn't FL win the SEC tourney both years they won the National Champ?

yeah i must have misheard what they said. (there was alot of noise when I was watching it in the office)

The last 8 years of champions are split evenly: 4 won their conference tournaments; 4 didn't

here's what i got after putting it all together from 2002-2009 championships (both teams participating)

2009 UNC, lost ACC, won tourney; Michigan St., lost Big 10
2008 Kansas, won Big 12, won tourney; Memphis, won C-USA
2007 Florida, won SEC, won tourney; OSU, won Big 10, lost
2006 Florida, won SEC, won tourney; UCLA, won PAC 10, lost
2005 UNC, lost ACC, won tourney; opponent won conf tourney
2004 UCONN, won Big East, won tourney; GA tech, lost ACC tourney
2003 Syracuse, lost Big East, won tourney; Kansas, lost Big 12 tourney
2002 Maryland, lost ACC, won tourney; Indiana, lost conference tourney

Not sure how strong of a correlation would be one way or another honestly...

Didn't FL win the SEC tourney both years they won the National Champ?
Yes, but they only had to win three games to do it. I think most of the first-round blow-ups were by teams that won four games in four days.

It won't bother me if UK beats us this time. We're awfully thin to be playing four days in a row, plus we'd have to have to beat them in the NCAAs if they came our way. Two wins over this UK team in a season is asking a lot, I can't see us beating them three times.

VN Store

Back