SEC Teams!

IIRC only 2 Big 12 teams left and 4 ACC teams.. So much for the Big 12 the strongest and ACC the weakest.
And the Big East is proving they should have gotten more than 3 teams. I think power conference bids should be capped at 7 bids and conference tournaments should be used as a play in to get into the First Four play in games.

IIRC only 2 Big 12 teams left and 4 ACC teams.. So much for the Big 12 the strongest and ACC the weakest.

Comparing tournament results to overall conference strength really isn’t a valid metric to compare. Different seedlings, matchups, etc. the ACC was really weak this year and nc state got hot and a favorable draw. As did Duke. It’s called Madness for a reason.

Comparing tournament results to overall conference strength really isn’t a valid metric to compare. Different seedlings, matchups, etc. the ACC was really weak this year and nc state got hot and a favorable draw. As did Duke. It’s called Madness for a reason.
NC State wouldn't have made the tournament without winning the ACC tournament. The Big 12 and SEC were much better leagues this year, regardless of NCAA tournament results

Only Vols and Bama left,who hopes Alabama loses there next game.I was sure against them last night!
Fack that. As much as I dislike Alabama, I hope they win their region. It is more helpful for UT if they do. If both of us make the FF, wouldn't you rather play them than Houston? Nevermind the additional money for us

It is about matchups, ... playing well, ... playing together, ... overlooking an opponent, ... having and actually playing the strategy for the game, ... lots of factors that make it really difficult to measure success and failure with great accuracy.
Let's do a little bit more review ...

Facts:
12 of TOP 16 seeded teams made it into the Sweet Sixteen!

2 of the 5 seeds made into the field, instead of the 4 seeds, neither one of this is that surprising. See notes below.

It was an underwhelming performance by SEC - Auburn (4) against Yale. [Granted that Auburn was in a difficult spot after the player was disqualified to adjust their strategy on the fly. That is a coaching issue, imho.] This explains the arrival of San Diego State (5) in the 16 as a 5th seed.
Big 12 - Kansas was a shell of the team (after losing McCullar), so it was unsurprising to see WCC - Gonzaga (5) oust Kansas (4)

So, there are only 2 "Cinderella" teams in the field. [Not sure I would classify Clemson a Cinderella, but ....]
Cinderella #1 - A very hot ACC- NC State team
It was an underwhelming performance by SEC - Kentucky (3) against Oakland.
Cinderella #2? - ACC- Clemson (6) employed a very physical game and limited Baylor (3) beyond the perimeter and then Big 12 - Baylor gave Clemson an assist with ugly effort at the Free Throw line! Kudos to Clemson.

Basically, the top seeds made the field, and the two Cinderella teams were from the ACC.
Not sure that makes the ACC a stronger than expected conference.
NCAATourneyResults2024.png

Last edited:
Reactions: spyfish007
Fack that. As much as I dislike Alabama, I hope they win their region. It is more helpful for UT if they do. If both of us make the FF, wouldn't you rather play them than Houston? Nevermind the additional money for us
Exactly. At this point it is only about what might benefit UT, and I would rather play Alabama than UNC or Arizona, although I believe the Vols can beat any of them if they are on their game.

Sort of depends on matchups too. If a higher seed is knocked off by an upset, that sometimes clears the lane. Not sure if that was the case here, but the other thing is ACC was actually very strong at the top, just not throughout. Surprised about. Clemson and NC St a little bit. They were both playing strong towards the end of the season.

Reactions: Wrangler95
Yep and a conference could lose 4 games that went into overtime,or 1 point or decided by a bad call and then ppl come out of the woodwork saying that conference was overrated. Seriously it's about matchups, getting a ref that calls to your style of play and lucky breaks going against or for you.

Naw Bama could lose anytime. It sucks they won anything. I always pull for the underdogs anyways. We don't really benefit all that much for having a strong conference. The SEC has sucked for the longest and it never hurt or helped Kentucky win any of those titles. I thought Duke and North Carolina would lose this past weekend though so a little shocking.

Yep and a conference could lose 4 games that went into overtime,or 1 point or decided by a bad call and then ppl come out of the woodwork saying that conference was overrated. Seriously it's about matchups, getting a ref that calls to your style of play and lucky breaks going against or for you.
Bad matchups with 13 and 14 seeds??? Yeah, come on and just admit it was overrated. We are still playing and that's what really matters.

Bad matchups with 13 and 14 seeds??? Yeah, come on and just admit it was overrated. We are still playing and that's what really matters.
SEC had 6 losses I'm talking about the other 4, A&M took the #1 seed to OT so it really dont matter your seed its matchups. Like UK if they shoot the 3 like they did in Lexington they lose like they did to UT, if they shoot it like they did in Knoxville they win like they beat a better UT team, just 1 example. So you as a lower seed hope to play a team that relies on the 3 and you take the live by and die by it. I mean Texas if it had a pulse found UT with a hapless shooting game but still couldn't get it done. JMO, you can run with the overrated chant , no problem

SEC had 6 losses I'm talking about the other 4, A&M took the #1 seed to OT so it really dont matter your seed its matchups. Like UK if they shoot the 3 like they did in Lexington they lose like they did to UT, if they shoot it like they did in Knoxville they win like they beat a better UT team, just 1 example. So you as a lower seed hope to play a team that relies on the 3 and you take the live by and die by it. I mean Texas if it had a pulse found UT with a hapless shooting game but still couldn't get it done. JMO, you can run with the overrated chant , no problem
I think us, A&M, and Alabama have all did their part. The rest of them really stunk it up and gave the conference a bad look.

If UK and Auburn had made S16 as their seed suggested they should, then the narrative would be totally different. We are really talking about two teams that lost early. UF, MSST very toss up games in round 1 and would be expecting to lose in round 2. USC was a minor upset.

VN Store

Back