SEC Power Rankings

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
A lot of holding my nose on the list this week.
In no way do I think Kentucky has SEC top-10 talent, coaching, etc. but they have the easiest SEC schedule I can recall.

Georgia
@ Mizzou
@ Ole Miss
Alabama
@Auburn
Tennessee
@So Carolina
Arkansas
@Florida
Vanderbilt

That's a very advantageous first 5 weeks. Their 3 most difficult series are at home.

I also think Tennessee is far better than Alabama. But, you know- baseball.

14 Missouri

9-12 0-3 L4

Swept @ Arkansas. Midweek loss to Kansas (neutral)

RPI: 138 SOS: 107

Does not have a winning record against any RPI quadrant including 5-5 against Q4

13 Ole Miss

16-6 2-1 W1

2-1 vs. South Carolina. Beat Southern Miss (neutral) midweek

RPI 30 SOS: 30

Bad loss (2-2) @ Hawaii. 1-2 vs High Point. 1-2 Iowa. SC & USM were first Q1 wins

12 Miss. State

16-6 2-1 W2

2-1 Vs. LSU. Midweek win vs. Memphis

RPI 61 SOS 78

Have MS ahead of OM because of LSU win. Very similar resume to OM. Swept by bad AP team 0-2

11 Auburn

14-6 0-3 W1

Swept @ Vanderbilt. Solid midweek W vs. USM

RPI: 44 SOS: 45

2-5 vs Q1 (both W vs Uconn). 1 bad loss vs APSU

10 Florida

12-8 2-1 L1

2-1 vs TAMU. Loss to bad Jacksonville U team

RPI: 40 SOS: 7

You are what your record is. The SOS is propping the Gators up. Bad losses to St. Johns. Stetson,

St. Mary's, and JU. Go to LSU this weekend

9 South Carolina

16-5 1-2 W2

1-2 @ Ole Miss & win over Upstate

RPI: 26 SOS: 53

No Q4 losses - they have played 11 Q4 games. The 1 OM win is there only Q1 win

8 Georgia

18-4 0-3 W1

Swept @ Kentucky & run ruled Wofford. Started 8-0 w/ weak schedule. Just "meh' a 1 man team

RPI: 27 SOS: 95

Started 8-0 w/ weak schedule. Just "meh' 1 man team

7 LSU

18-4 1-2 W1

Lost 2-1 @ MSU & run ruled LaTech.

RPI: 25 SOS: 77

Bad losses to StonyBrook and -lets be honest; Miss St

6 Tennessee

19-3 1-2 W1

1-2 @ Alabama & win vs. Solid Xavier team

RPI: 23 SOS: 107

Loss to OU (#4 RPI) looking better

5 Alabama

18-3 2-1 W3

2-1 vs UT & midweek W vs terrrible AL State (#286)

RPI: 19 SOS: 85

Vols are better but have to give UA spot. - for now. Go to UGA this weekend. Vols

4 Kentucky

18-3 3-0 W6

3-0 vs UGA & win vs Evansville.

RPI: 10 SOS: 34

In no way do I believe UK is a top-5 SEC team. But they are playing the number game. Bad losses to

Wash St and 2 losses to Kennesaw

3 Texas A&M

19-2 1-2 W1

Swept Auburn and beat Belmont.

RPI: 22 SOS: 60

First losses came at Gainesville. "Middling" schedule up until then.

2 Arkansas

17-2 3-0 W13

RPI: 3 SOS: 10

Lost 2 of first 6 but undefeated since. First true road games this weekend @ Auburn

Hogs have a favorable SEC schedule.

1 Vanderbilt

19-3 3-0 W14

Lost @ UF 2-1 beat at very Prairie View 11-9

RPI: 8 SOS: 66

Have won every series. Bad loses to Dayton (0-1) and Gonzaga (1-2)

They play 8 of the 10 teams we do and then we play each other…so only difference in their schedule and ours is they play Arkansas while we play LSU…you can argue semantics about home/away series but if they have the easiest schedule you can recall then I guess we do as well. It is as close to an identical schedule as you can get. You could even argue ours is easier since I would rather play Uk 3 times than us.

A lot of holding my nose on the list this week.
In no way do I think Kentucky has SEC top-10 talent, coaching, etc. but they have the easiest SEC schedule I can recall.

Georgia
@ Mizzou
@ Ole Miss
Alabama
@Auburn
Tennessee
@So Carolina
Arkansas
@Florida
Vanderbilt

That's a very advantageous first 5 weeks. Their 3 most difficult series are at home.

I also think Tennessee is far better than Alabama. But, you know- baseball.

14 Missouri

9-12 0-3 L4

Swept @ Arkansas. Midweek loss to Kansas (neutral)

RPI: 138 SOS: 107

Does not have a winning record against any RPI quadrant including 5-5 against Q4

13 Ole Miss

16-6 2-1 W1

2-1 vs. South Carolina. Beat Southern Miss (neutral) midweek

RPI 30 SOS: 30

Bad loss (2-2) @ Hawaii. 1-2 vs High Point. 1-2 Iowa. SC & USM were first Q1 wins

12 Miss. State

16-6 2-1 W2

2-1 Vs. LSU. Midweek win vs. Memphis

RPI 61 SOS 78

Have MS ahead of OM because of LSU win. Very similar resume to OM. Swept by bad AP team 0-2

11 Auburn

14-6 0-3 W1

Swept @ Vanderbilt. Solid midweek W vs. USM

RPI: 44 SOS: 45

2-5 vs Q1 (both W vs Uconn). 1 bad loss vs APSU

10 Florida

12-8 2-1 L1

2-1 vs TAMU. Loss to bad Jacksonville U team

RPI: 40 SOS: 7

You are what your record is. The SOS is propping the Gators up. Bad losses to St. Johns. Stetson,

St. Mary's, and JU. Go to LSU this weekend

9 South Carolina

16-5 1-2 W2

1-2 @ Ole Miss & win over Upstate

RPI: 26 SOS: 53

No Q4 losses - they have played 11 Q4 games. The 1 OM win is there only Q1 win

8 Georgia

18-4 0-3 W1

Swept @ Kentucky & run ruled Wofford. Started 8-0 w/ weak schedule. Just "meh' a 1 man team

RPI: 27 SOS: 95

Started 8-0 w/ weak schedule. Just "meh' 1 man team

7 LSU

18-4 1-2 W1

Lost 2-1 @ MSU & run ruled LaTech.

RPI: 25 SOS: 77

Bad losses to StonyBrook and -lets be honest; Miss St

6 Tennessee

19-3 1-2 W1

1-2 @ Alabama & win vs. Solid Xavier team

RPI: 23 SOS: 107

Loss to OU (#4 RPI) looking better

5 Alabama

18-3 2-1 W3

2-1 vs UT & midweek W vs terrrible AL State (#286)

RPI: 19 SOS: 85

Vols are better but have to give UA spot. - for now. Go to UGA this weekend. Vols

4 Kentucky

18-3 3-0 W6

3-0 vs UGA & win vs Evansville.

RPI: 10 SOS: 34

In no way do I believe UK is a top-5 SEC team. But they are playing the number game. Bad losses to

Wash St and 2 losses to Kennesaw

3 Texas A&M

19-2 1-2 W1

Swept Auburn and beat Belmont.

RPI: 22 SOS: 60

First losses came at Gainesville. "Middling" schedule up until then.

2 Arkansas

17-2 3-0 W13

RPI: 3 SOS: 10

Lost 2 of first 6 but undefeated since. First true road games this weekend @ Auburn

Hogs have a favorable SEC schedule.

1 Vanderbilt

19-3 3-0 W14

Lost @ UF 2-1 beat at very Prairie View 11-9

RPI: 8 SOS: 66

Have won every series. Bad loses to Dayton (0-1) and Gonzaga (1-2)

I'm wondering how Missouri and Tennessee can have the same strength of schedule (107). Can there be ties in SOS? If so, I've looked at or perceived SOS the wrong way for quite a while. js

Your SOS can change according to who you played and how they do if I understand it right from a pretty knowledgeable friend. If a team no one thought would win, wins a lot then every team they played against the SOS changes.
The RPI and SOS are similar from what he says.

Your SOS can change according to who you played and how they do if I understand it right from a pretty knowledgeable friend. If a team no one thought would win, wins a lot then every team they played against the SOS changes.
The Vols end of season SOS is expected to be around 70, still nothing to brag about.

The Vols end of season SOS is expected to be around 70, still nothing to brag about.
I will say this…happens in basketball as well…teams can schedule teams rated 70-100 mark to ensure a better SOS...we might schedule teams 100-130 mark but trust me when teams are that bad you are beating them regardless…what you do in conference play is what matters and we will be slotted for regionals accordingly…teams like Kentucky manipulate this number by playing teams like this and it does not make them any better come tourney time

Reactions: fryeguy93

The SOS is actually higher than expected because Oklahoma is better than projected.

I do think the staff can do better in inviting the better teams in the snow belt conferences to visit instead of the cellar dwellers.

I wouldn’t mind seeing weekend series against the western Tennessee or Kentucky teams that we don’t see midweeks anymore. Austin Peay, MTSU, Memphis, WKU, etc. I realize many of those schools like hosting those first few weeks against some big name schools from Big10 and Notre Dame who travel south early season.

Finally, the minor league parks in Tennessee need to start hosting some same early season tourneys. Chattanooga, Kodak, Nashville, Jackson, and Memphis parks are just sitting empty.

Bring in Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Memphis. Mix in mid major instates. Then a few Big10 or BigEast schools.

Last edited:
LSU is in real jeopardy of not being an NCAAT team this year. That’s insane.

Would be the 3rd year in a row that the defending NC doesn’t make the tournament the following year

LSU is in real jeopardy of not being an NCAAT team this year. That’s insane.

Would be the 3rd year in a row that the defending NC doesn’t make the tournament the following year
That’s why I’m thankful for Tony and his ability to reload. We won’t be at the very top every year, but we’ll be in the mix. Even with pitching having a bit of a down year, I feel good about this team.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back