SEC Nation. Spears

Paul will jump on the Vol train with Marcus once we get rolling. He's pretty transparent. Can't wait until Saban retires or leaves and he doesn't have anyone to kiss up to at Bama. Hoping NYG hire Saban when they fire Macadoo. Double win for me.

They won't wait long before hiring Dabo to return to his alma matter!

Tyler Byrd has the speed to be a huge weapon if he was utilized correctly. Shy Tuttle has been injury plagued, but the talent is there. McKenzie has been disappointing considering the hype. I believe the talent is there, it's just getting someone to get the most out of him. Same for Drew Richmond and Kyle Phillips.

Agree on Byrd, I think, but he’s been so poorly utilized, so persona non grata this year, it’s hard to know if he really is that guy. Completely disagree with you on KMac, Richmond and Phillips....semi agree with you on Tuttle although I think that the injuries have rendered him a shell of the player he might’ve been.

Reactions: 1 person
It's been a while since I've looked forward to a game. And I am looking forward to seeing our guys have some fun tonight, and play...with emotion.

Me too. I don't even have any expectations, just hope for a great game without an embarrassing loss ... on our part. It reminds me of the early Dickey days - not a lot of reason for hope before any game, but you had the feeling that anything could happen.

1964 Tn played #7 LSU in Baton Rouge and came away with a 3-3 tie which any Tennessee fan would tell you was a huge UT win.

They won't wait long before hiring Dabo to return to his alma matter!

May be right but that's a real slippery slope for Dabo who has built his empire to his and clemsons liking. He can stay at Clemson and have statues built of him, winning no less, while always being compared to saban and bear. Following legends never goes well. Holly would probably be appreciated at most other schools not named UT or UConn, but she's never going to win at Pat's level. Dabo will never win at Saban level either.

Reactions: 3 people
But, in my life it's becoming obvious that by Year 2....you start to see some obvious results in performance

Except when it's not obvious. The "Year 2" thing is a good rule for when a team is loaded with talent and was underperforming. Florida after Ron Zook, Alabama after Mike Shula, and USC after Paul Hackett are classic examples. The rule doesn't work so well when there are deeper problems at a program like Stanford in 2006 or even Tennessee 2012.

Examples where the "Year 2" rule doesn't work out too well: Jim Harbaugh at Stanford, Dabo Swinney, Barry Alvarez, Johnny Majors, Nick Saban at Mich State, Frank Beamer, Mark Dantonio at Mich State, Willie Taggart at USF, etc, etc, etc. The "Year 2" is by and large very overrated, but I think it's a reasonably fair standard for Tennessee this time around given the talent we current have on the roster.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee in 2017 >>> Alabama in 2006

The right coach could turn Tennessee into what Saban has turned Alabama into. We got everything you need here. Money, instate talent, facilities, staduim, and a crazy fanbase.

Tennessee in 2017 is a top 5 job in college football.

Reactions: 3 people
I put Mullen just slightly above Norvell, Campbell and Brohm.

We're agreeing a lot lately on almost everything. Agree 100% with this. I simply don't get the Dan Mullen love either. He's never won anything. And all he's ever done at Mississippi State is have that surprise season in 2014.

Sorry but a 7-5 coach on average from Mississippi State simply doesn't excite me.

The Vols football coach is a top 10 job, unfortunately UT doesn't recognize this, does it?:)

We're agreeing a lot lately on almost everything. Agree 100% with this. I simply don't get the Dan Mullen love either. He's never won anything. And all he's ever done at Mississippi State is have that surprise season in 2014.

Sorry but a 7-5 coach on average from Mississippi State simply doesn't excite me.

I'm not going to ask what excites you D4H, I think I have a pretty good idea already:)

Except when it's not obvious. The "Year 2" thing is a good rule for when a team is loaded with talent and was underperforming. Florida after Ron Zook, Alabama after Mike Shula, and USC after Paul Hackett are classic examples. The rule doesn't work so well when there are deeper problems at a program like Stanford in 2006 or even Tennessee 2012.

Examples where the "Year 2" rule doesn't work out too well: Jim Harbaugh at Stanford, Dabo Swinney, Barry Alvarez, Johnny Majors, Nick Saban at Mich State, Frank Beamer, Mark Dantonio at Mich State, Willie Taggart at USF, etc, etc, etc. The "Year 2" is by and large very overrated, but I think it's a reasonably fair standard for Tennessee this time around given the talent we current have on the roster.

I'm not fond of the two year thinking in any circumstances, but I do have to agree that you make a great case for it when conditions are right. My problem is that too many two year rule believers fail to recognize the inverse part of it - new coaches who come in with contagious enthusiasm and pump up a team but don't have the long term ability to sustain it. It works to the advantage of up and comers who don't stay anywhere long enough to show their true colors until they fail at the big time.

It's the classic failure of "what have you done for me lately" over longer term mature wisdom in evaluating events whether in sports, business, politics, etc. - something like putting the world on a high energy drink and not expecting long term burnout. A guy named Aesop addressed it a few years back.

I know. "but he almost beat bama", so did Butch. and as bad as Butch was, he never lost to South Alabama. I think his ceiling at UT would be a chance at winning the east every 3-4 years, maybe. That's not even close to being good enough.

I know. "but he almost beat bama", so did Butch. and as bad as Butch was, he never lost to South Alabama. I think his ceiling at UT would be a chance at winning the east every 3-4 years, maybe. That's not even close to being good enough.

Exactly. He's an improvement over Butch. But that isn't saying much since Butch Jones was totally incompetent.

Tennessee deserves a coach that can get us back to being a national title contender EVERY YEAR. I'm done with being told 8-4 and a bowl victory in the Music City Bowl should be cause for celebration.

Kelly making a big mistake if he does go

Kelly is one of the better players on a poor team. He is nowhere on the draft boards for a number of reasons. Kid needs to mature and be a Vol leader in 2018. Quit the ignorant penalties.

I would add Brandon Johnson on the offense. I personally like Chandler more than Kelly as far as ceilings go. With the right coaching our QB's could be really good too. It's very obvious the coaching and play calling has been horrid on offense. Curious to see if the offense looks any better without everything going through Butch. From Kelly's response I'm curious to see if the players play harder with obvious lack of like and respect for Butch.

Maybe Chance Hall on offense. I think Jumper has a seventh year of eligibility next year, and I hear his ability to set defensive alignments is championship level.

He’s mostly right imo. I’d argue that the talent isn’t quite there though.

Yes, Jones was horrific at player development, but really look at both sides of the ball and identify who you think are legit, SEC Championship level type athletes....

For me, I’d say this is the list for 2018.....

Offense- Kelly, Trey Smith, Jennings, Callaway, maybe/likely Chandler

Defense- Warrior, Gaulden, maybe Bituli, maybe DKJr if he ever gets healthy.

Special teams- nobody

Add in Cade Mays , that boy gonna be a beast

Maybe Chance Hall on offense. I think Jumper has a seventh year of eligibility next year, and I hear his ability to set defensive alignments is championship level.

Not sure we’ll see Chance play again. Two straight years of season ending injuries, after a surgery prior to ever getting to Knoxville, when he was still in high school iirc.

Matt Campbell knocked off two top five teams in the regular season. Let's not get a loser like that.
In Fade’s defense he is like me in thinking this billionaire...Manning...Fulmer...Currie search team is surely aiming higher than those 2....wouldn’t you really hope so :dunno:

VN Store

Back