SEC Championship Game thread

Welch only because Izzy is out. If they had Cierra, Bashaara, and Izzy as their frontcourt, it would be hard to make a case for Welch.

Not really. Welch has been an All-SEC player for three years now, is more consistent, and dominated the matchup in both games this season. You might could argue Burdick or Izzy, but she is certainly a better player than Graves....

Not really. Welch has been an All-SEC player for three years now, is more consistent, and dominated the matchup in both games this season. You might could argue Burdick or Izzy, but she is certainly a better player than Graves....

Graves played out of position in both matchups, and didn't have a trio of athletic 6'4 players to box out and crash the boards.

Bashaara scores more points, grabs more rebounds, has more assists, has more steals, and doesn't shoot 40% from the charity stripe.

An argument can probably be made going in either direction, but to make an absolute statement ignores their season performance to date.

Reactions: 3 people
So apparently the opinion of SEC coaches are the end all, be all authority? Good to know!

You're right. These coaches have scouted and schemed against both players extensively this season, what do they know? Who they picked as the better player is obviously irrelevant....:crazy:

You're right. These coaches have scouted and schemed against both players extensively this season, what do they know? Who they picked as the better player is obviously irrelevant....:crazy:

Right...so Kelly Miller really is better than Tamika Catchings. Oh, and Sylvia Fowles is better than Candace Parker :thumbsup:

Reactions: 2 people
Right...so Kelly Miller really is better than Tamika Catchings. Oh, and Sylvia Fowles is better than Candace Parker :thumbsup:

If you're going to cherry pick, you could have at least gone with something more recent. Like that time someone wanted a "toxic" "selfish" "mentally weak" player like Burdick off the team. Seeing how she is now the best player on the team, glad the coaches didn't listen to that one....

If you're going to cherry pick, you could have at least gone with something more recent. Like that time someone wanted a "toxic" "selfish" "mentally weak" player like Burdick off the team. Seeing how she is now the best player on the team, glad the coaches didn't listen to that one....

Nice deflection. But I'm used to that from you...its your MO after all.

My point stands. The SEC coaches aren't the ultimate authority on player rankings.

Reactions: 4 people
Nice deflection. But I'm used to that from you...its your MO after all.

Deflection? Like the All-SEC team from 15 years ago??? How many of those coaches are still here?

My point stands. The SEC coaches aren't the ultimate authority on player rankings.

I didn't say they were, but you can't dismiss it as completely irrelevant either. Given recent comments you've made evaluating players (which I would be happy to re-post if you feel I've taken your comments out of context), I'm more inclined to agree with the consensus of SEC coaches over you....

Deflection? Like the All-SEC team from 15 years ago??? How many of those coaches are still here?

Yes, deflection. We're talking about coaches knowing best because they evaluate and scout players throughout the season. What, was this not true 15 years ago? Or 8 years ago when Sylvia won SEC POY but Candace won NPOY? What does it matter what coaches are still around? Was there a special purge of coaches that don't accurately vote for All SEC teams or something.

But I'll tell you what wasn't part of this discussion: my comments on Burdick from November. That, my friend, is deflection.

I didn't say they were, but you can't dismiss it as completely irrelevant either. Given recent comments you've made evaluating players (which I would be happy to re-post if you feel I've taken your comments out of context), I'm more inclined to agree with the consensus of SEC coaches over you....

You keep telling yourself that :whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, deflection. We're talking about coaches knowing best because they evaluate and scout players throughout the season. What, was this not true 15 years ago? Or 8 years ago when Sylvia won SEC POY but Candace won NPOY? What does it matter what coaches are still around? Was there a special purge of coaches that don't accurately vote for All SEC teams or something.

Tennessee was actually winning championships and going to Final Fours at that time. Coaching dynamics were different, you could argue more bias, and there were 2 fewer votes than there are now. So no, I don't find what happened 7 or 15 years ago particularly relevant to now. Nice try though.

But I'll tell you what wasn't part of this discussion: my comments on Burdick from November. That, my friend, is deflection.

No my friend, that is a testament to what level of talent evaluation we're dealing with here which is absolutely the crux of this discussion. I think Welch starts over Graves. I'd say the coaches votes strongly support that. If you want to use votes from 15 years ago to try to discredit them, whatever. Your recent track record is even less impressive, and I don't blame you for not wanting it brought up...

Tennessee was actually winning championships and going to Final Fours at that time. Coaching dynamics were different, you could argue more bias, and there were 2 fewer votes than there are now. So no, I don't find what happened 7 or 15 years ago particularly relevant to now. Nice try though.

Ahhhh, I see. So the coaches may be biased against Tennessee but ONLY because they were winning championships/making Final Fours. However, when other posters suggest that Tennessee was snubbed this year because of bias against Tennessee's legacy in the SEC, it warrants a snide retort from you. Good to know the Rules of Engagement According to DarthVol.

You don't need to compliment my effort...I'm not the one grasping straws. That would be...YOU.

No my friend, that is a testament to what level of talent evaluation we're dealing with here which is absolutely the crux of this discussion. I think Welch starts over Graves. I'd say the coaches votes strongly support that. If you want to use votes from 15 years ago to try to discredit them, whatever. Your recent track record is even less impressive, and I don't blame you for not wanting it brought up...

You can bring up my comments about Cierra from November all you want. I don't deny that I thought she sucked coming into this season. But good luck finding a single negative thing about her from me since the Wichita State game. I don't expect you to understand since you're not a Lady Vols fan, but I'm actually happy that Cierra has played so well this year. I don't gleefully rush to my computer to bad mouth players once they have a bad game like you do with Ariel or Izzy.

So yes, I underestimated Cierra...along with pretty much every poster on this board and the SEC coaches who didn't see her worthy of a pre-season All Conference Selection.

At least she had your unwavering support. Oh wait, I think you characterized her career as one marked by "inconsistency" and "underachieving" until this year, but "better late than never". So sorry, Cierra... Luckily for you, hindsight truly is 20/20.

But nice try. I really am enjoying watching you spin your wheels in futility. I look forward to your next response.:clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
Ahhhh, I see. So the coaches may be biased against Tennessee but ONLY because they were winning championships/making Final Fours. However, when other posters suggest that Tennessee was snubbed this year because of bias against Tennessee's legacy in the SEC, it warrants a snide retort from you. Good to know the Rules of Engagement According to DarthVol.

You're right. The perception of Tennessee now is exactly the same as it was with Pat in her prime and the coaches she had spent years battling against. :lolabove:

At least she had your unwavering support. Oh wait, I think you characterized her career as one marked by "inconsistency" and "underachieving" until this year, but "better late than never".

I thought that was pretty much fact more than my opinion, and Cierra would probably be the first to admit that. But either way if you really don't see the difference between that and calling her "toxic" and wanting her thrown off the team, you are truly pitiful.

But nice try. I really am enjoying watching you spin your wheels in futility. I look forward to your next response.:clapping:

Well considering you didn't say a word about Welch or Graves, which is the point of this whole discussion, I'll just assume you concede and move on. Thanks for playing....:salute:

131443075153-Abandon_thread_Jim.gif

You're right. The perception of Tennessee now is exactly the same as it was with Pat in her prime and the coaches she had spent years battling against. :lolabove:

I know, right? Thank God the SEC is one big lovefest now where coaches don't let past rivalries or legacies affect their perceptions. Besides, it's not like the current crop of SEC coaches even knew Holly until she became HC, and it's not like Tennessee's legacy of dominance in the SEC matters on lick. They all hold hands and sing kumbaya now.

Well considering you didn't say a word about Welch or Graves, which is the point of this whole discussion, I'll just assume you concede and move on. Thanks for playing....:salute:

The sad thing is you probably believe this...so sad :cray:

VN Store

Back