SCOTUS Upholds Religious Freedom - Hobby Lobby

Yep I'm ready to see if this does anything to their profits. I'd say probably not a whole lot but the majority of the people that shop there are women so who knows.

I doubt they see a blip either way.

Watching the news in the break room during lunch and of course they were discussing this, out of a room full of women not 1 looked up from their phone to pay attention.

They do

God gave them legs that close and if that doesn't work, Trojan makes a nice latex condom

Not the taxpayers burden to promote promiscuity

Keep a nickel between their knees and pregnancy will not be a concern. :)

I doubt they see a blip either way.

Watching the news in the break room during lunch and of course they were discussing this, out of a room full of women not 1 looked up from their phone to pay attention.

Any of them work at Hobby Lobby?

Reactions: 1 person
I understand that. And that's why I said they were careful about it. I just see potential there for some manipulation.

That is what courts are for. Is it a sincere religious belief by the owners? If it is, apply the legitimate interest test. In this case, it was clear that it was a sincere belief. The Court then found that the government failed the compelling interest test.

Last edited:
Any of them work at Hobby Lobby?

How did you guess? :banghead2:

No just an example of many of them don't care enough to pay attention in the first place. Let alone affect the profitability of HL.

You shouldn't be mad

The First Amendment won

I'm not bitter or mad at all. If you haven't noticed none of those amendments matter anymore. We are all punished or persecuted whenever the gov chooses. This does nothing in my score book for our freedoms.

That is what courts are for. Is it a sincere religious belief by the owners? If it is, apply the legitimate interest test. In this case, it was clear that it was a sincere belief. The Court then found that the government failed the compelling interest test.

On principle, I agree with you. However, it's worth pointing out that the Court did not determine that the government failed the compelling interest test. They left that issue to the side. The sided with HL because the mandate failed the least restrictive means test.

I agree with the decision but don't understood why this case got some much hype.

I agree with the decision but don't understood why this case got some much hype.

before the ACA, this would have been just another company that doesn't cover some types of contraception in it's health insurance plan. After the ACA, it's another chapter in the GOP's "war on women". Oh, and it's racist.

I'm not bitter or mad at all. If you haven't noticed none of those amendments matter anymore. We are all punished or persecuted whenever the gov chooses. This does nothing in my score book for our freedoms.

We make them matter

When we stand by and let them trample over our rights, then they win

Freedom is only worth what you're willing to sacrifice to keep it

before the ACA, this would have been just another company that doesn't cover some types of contraception in it's health insurance plan. After the ACA, it's another chapter in the GOP's "war on women". Oh, and it's racist.

The idea of having a "private" business is long gone. It is now considered in the "public sphere". That was when the meaningful debate about freedom vs government was lost.

This latest Hobby Lobby issue is just a farce to get both the bases riled up. It isn't a big win for conservatives nor a big loss for progressives.

The idea of having a "private" business is long gone. It is now considered in the "public sphere". That was when the meaningful debate about freedom vs government was lost.

This latest Hobby Lobby issue is just a farce to get both the bases riled up. It isn't a big win for conservatives nor a big loss for progressives.

As an aside I really hate the term progressive. It just makes conservative sound dirty.

Democrats must pander to women, especially single women, in order to remain a politically viable party. The War on Women meme is crucial to that end. So making other people pay for contraception instead of exercising personal responsibility and paying for it yourself (or having your male partner pick up the tab) appeals to the lazy, low information, slutty ingrates.

Democrats must pander to women, especially single women, in order to remain a politically viable party. The War on Women meme is crucial to that end. So making other people pay for contraception instead of exercising personal responsibility and paying for it yourself (or having your male partner pick up the tab) appeals to the lazy, low information, slutty ingrates.

There's also the misinformation that hobby Lobby wanted to not cover ANY contraceptives when it was only 4 of them they were against.

Every female should have access to birth control. I think most do and if HL wants to use religious reasons for not covering them, then so be it. Let the consumers decide to continue or discontinue shopping there.

They do.

They don't need HL or government either, in order to still have their access.

Screw any moron that is so incompetent and useless that they think it is their right for this to be provided to them.

Democrats usually just have to keep their mouthes shut while republicans speak to remain a viable political party.

They do.

They don't need HL or government either, in order to still have their access.

Screw any moron that is so incompetent and useless that they think it is their right for this to be provided to them.

Yep that's what makes most sense.

There's also the misinformation that hobby Lobby wanted to not cover ANY contraceptives when it was only 4 of them they were against.

Yep which makes it a dead issue to me. No pun intended. HL provides plenty of solutions.

Republicans must do the same for their religious base.

Hence, why I said both parties were using it to fire up their base while the actual case is pretty much a non-issue.

Agreed. That's why it's silly to me that this has gotten so much Publicity.

Like PKT just stated, it's purely religious. This could help get more reds out to vote. On the other hand, this could get more blues out to vote for women's rights.

In the end, we still pay too much in taxes and our politicians still won't be doing their jobs.

As an aside I really hate the term progressive. It just makes conservative sound dirty.

What term do you prefer? Liberal? I dislike the term "liberal" because modern-day "liberals" are an insult to the classical definition of "liberal".

Hence, why I said both parties were using it to fire up their base while the actual case is pretty much a non-issue.

On principle, it is pretty much a non-issue. But, the price tag for the ACA is about to get much more expensive, which is an inarguably practical issue.

The difference is Republicans are taking an honest position, whether you agree with it or not, on religious issues like abortion or gay marriage. The Democrats use deception with things like "Republicans want to take away birth control" to mask the real issue of government control over health care.

VN Store

Back