Say goodbye to the sport of football

fade route

Just being honest
Aaron Hernandez was found to have severe C.T.E. upon autopsy. It was reported that his brain looked similar to the brain of a 67 year old with the amount and extent of C.T.E. His lawyer is suing the Patriots on behalf of Hernandez's daughter and hasn't ruled out including the U of F in the lawsuit for failure to properly inform Hernandez of the potential long term effects of repeated blows to the head. C.T.E. awareness is picking up steam and I predict football will not be played 5 years from now in its current form. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
I am one of the few who seem to disagree with this.

This stuff is all known today. This very moment.

And none of those guys have any problems showing up on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

And they, and their mommas, shed many tears on Draft Day.

Now, whether political correctness kills it or not, I don't know.

Reactions: 39 people
Aaron Hernandez was found to have severe C.T.E. upon autopsy. It was reported that his brain looked similar to the brain of a 67 year old with the amount and extent of C.T.E. His lawyer is suing the Patriots on behalf of Hernandez's daughter and hasn't ruled out including the U of F in the lawsuit for failure to properly inform Hernandez of the potential long term effects of repeated blows to the head. C.T.E. awareness is picking up steam and I predict football will not be played 5 years from now in its current form. Thoughts?

Because of course players need doctors/teams to tell them running full speed, head first into each other won't cause damage eventually.

There's a price to pay to be elite athletes in many sports. Especially in football where we see multiple players go down every single game we watch and don't even flinch when it happens because we're so used to it.

Reactions: 3 people
Because of course players need doctors/teams to tell them running full speed, head first into each other won't cause damage eventually.

There's a price to pay to be elite athletes in many sports. Especially in football where we see multiple players go down every single game we watch and don't even flinch when it happens because we're so used to it.

Doesn't matter. We live in a society in 2017 where people, including football players, must be protected from themselves and that consequences that arise from their own decisions are now the fault of someone else. Personal accountability and responsibility don't exist anymore.

Reactions: 29 people
football as we now know it may change, but no way a multi-billion dollar industry goes away

I like the idea of taking face masks away. I bet it slows down all that helmet to helmet mess that is killing the sport.

5 years?!? Doubtful

It will take a generation of parents holding kids out to kill the sport. There are still 100s of 1000s of kids playing football right now. The news of Hernandez isn’t going to cause a massive wave of parents pulling their kids out.

Reactions: 2 people
Doesn't matter. We live in a society in 2017 where people, including football players, must be protected from themselves and that consequences that arise from their own decisions are now the fault of someone else. Personal accountability and responsibility don't exist anymore.

I'm not super knowledgeable about all the details of the lawsuit (I only saw the headlines earlier today). I just fail to see how players or their families can necessarily blame schools or teams for failing to inform them what basically boils down to "Football is bad for you longterm".

Sure, I guess players like Hernandez were playing right around the time the CTE discussion came into mainstream. But there have been decades upon decades of reading about and watching football. Players should have already had a very clear understanding (not the specific scientific knowledge though) they were playing a dangerous sport.

Interestingly, MMA is quite popular and a boxing match can draw about a zillion $100 PPV purchases, if marketed convincingly.

Helmet technology is coming a long way very fast... a start up in Seattle has developed a helmet to absorb and redirect the energy from a blow to greatly reduce risk... plus CTE will also be found in soccer players and all other sports once they start looking...

I have a (BIG) 5 month old....and I plan on teaching him how to bust heads on the football field as soon as he can walk!

If he wants to, of course.

(Backing burntOrangeVols claim)

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Football is here to stay no matter what..All the CTE info that comes out won't change that, only change the way a few play..It kinda sucks but it is what it is....

:twocents:

Football isn't going to die but I bet the hard hitting nature of the sport is going to take a hard nerf in the in the future. Just give them flags and be done with it.

You know what you're getting when you sign up. Make millions. Plenty of football players and ex football go about their daily lives just fine with no issue.

This guy was a thug for a long time. Blaming football and CTE for his crimes is BS. Engineers need to keep developing safe equipment and the game will evolve. There is too much money involved.

Reactions: 4 people
football as we now know it may change, but no way a multi-billion dollar industry goes away

I like the idea of taking face masks away. I bet it slows down all that helmet to helmet mess that is killing the sport.

I think this comment is spot on.

I would be interested to know about CTE prevalence in Australian rules football. Football without helmets.

It seems contradictory, but I imagine that removing the helmet from American football would go a long way towards making the game safer.

I am one of the few who seem to disagree with this.

This stuff is all known today. This very moment.

And none of those guys have any problems showing up on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

And they, and their mommas, shed many tears on Draft Day.

Now, whether political correctness kills it or not, I don't know.
THIS^^^^

If you do not know that repeated blows to the your skull area isn't good for ya, well...

I find it hard to believe he was not informed that repeated blows to the head isnt good for you.

Boxing died out. It was huge in the 70s. Look at it now.

I think this comment is spot on.

I would be interested to know about CTE prevalence in Australian rules football. Football without helmets.

It seems contradictory, but I imagine that removing the helmet from American football would go a long way towards making the game safer.

I've said this for a few years now. Remove helmets and people would not use them to tackle.

VN Store

Back