Saturday Spring Practice #4

A couple of quick observations from a conversation I had with a coach yesterday-- They think Staley could be the first receiver they've had since Hyatt who can game coverage gaps with speed and route quality. Heupel called him the "most polished" Freshman WR he's seen walk in the door here. Matthews obviously got more early press, but Staley could be special. Word is--Staes has been a great blocker and route runner, who trucks people after the catch. He and Nico seem to have an intuitive trust and they've been hitting big gains in crossing routes and slants from the TE position. On that note-- Inge is being given some latitude to change how our LB's handle pass coverage and playing in space. He was not happy with the way we handle middle and flat coverage in the passing game last year, and how we commit pre-snap on certain reads. They plan to let Pilli cover a little more space in the middle to allow the outside guys to take the short TE routes and RB release. That's my update live from the Whole Foods produce section on Sunday where I ran into an unnamed coach who buys a lot of pomegranates.

Cain: qbs were sloppy

Brown: Nico was really sharp

I get there is a difference in the two subjects, but more proof that idk if these guys watch the same practice.
Just the nature of spring practice I guess? We've got "depth" but got a laundry list of guys who are out? Maybe a bunch of surgeries that just now got taken care of? Guys got hurt during off season conditioning? Got guys "banged up" and we're in "shells"? Crazy.

I really struggle with statements like this. Would you actually be disappointed if Dayne Davis ends up as one of the best five linemen? If he is the better, why would you want anyone inferior to play. The younger linemen will get their chance to play. I can remember when it was considered a seriously bad sign when the younger players had to play. You wanted them to have at least a year to get in SEC shape before they had to take the field.
I think his point is that Dayne Davis is not very good, so he hopes that one of the younger guys becomes better, so that the line becomes better.
Nothing against Dayne Davis personally, but we know what we have with him.

I’m looking forward to the day when Dayne Davis isn’t being listed 1st team.

He’s played a lot for us and I’m glad we have him but I want one of these young guys to shine and bust the starting lineup!
O-line is one position group (especially the interior) where experience and attitude can most easily overcome athleticism. LT breaks that mold sometimes but that's the one position group you're least likely to see underclassmen starting at in almost any program. Starting at Oline as a first or even second-year player is the exception to the rule. It's partially physical and partially experience. No other position group is more dependent on the others performance than the offensive line. You can be the best guard or tackle or center in the universe but if the guys on either side of you suck so will you. Every other position can shine individually despite the folks next to them. A QB or RB can overcome a bad O-line to some extent with talent and still shine. If the guard next to you constantly misses his assignments as a tackle or center you're boned having to make up for them.

VN Store

Back