Sane Knowledgeable Vol Fan Role Call

I don't think we win that game even with everyone healthy.

I don't think Saban is the devil but I'm certain they've met.

And I do think I'm sane.

Bama had better athletes on both sides of the ball, then add in Jalen Hurts and it's soon over:yes:

The meltdown isn't from losing to Bama (it was worse than we hoped for), but its how this season has gone is the concern.

App State we were fortunate to win

We didn't look good against VA Tech or Ohio

We looked horrible for a 1/2 against FL and then came alive

We played poorly in the first half against GA and it too took a miraculous play to win.

TAM we played so sloppy, but our play makers came a live and we had an opportunity to win.

I support Butch and this team. I think Hurd is great, but I like Kamara's skill set better in this offense. The OL is banged up, but have been disappointing all year. Dobbs is an Athlete and has certainly won games for us, but he isn't a very good passer.

All in all, its been an exciting year and we have an opportunity to finish 10-2 which is what most said at the beginning of the year, but if they don't start playing better, they could easily drop another game.

Something is just off with this team. It seems to be a combination of coaching and OL deficiencies.

This team couldn't cruise by App State, or Ohio, what makes you think that we are going to cruise by SC, Mizzou, Kentucky, and Vandy, especially with the amount of injuries we've sustained?

Because Butch has shown that he can motivate the team and successfully navigate through the back portion of the schedule. Tennessee still has a lot more talent than the remaining five teams on the schedule, and like the previous two years, will have a renewed sense of purpose after the by. But unlike the previous two years, Tennessee has some real goals left to attain and this team did not spend a half decade fighting back from mediocrity to let an SEC East Championship slip through their fingers by losing to Missouri or Vandy. Vols take care of business these last five weeks and the kneejerkers, as I like to call them, will be fully back on board.

Reactions: 1 person
I understand that when you play 3rd and 4th string players, with little to no live game experience, against the number one team in America...it's gonna have the potential of getting ugly.

I also understand that we have a good chance of winning out the rest of the season. When I compare that fact to where we were this time 2/3 years ago, I see great improvement.

Finally, I understand that the above comments puts me in the 'sunshine pumper family.' If that fact annoys you in any way, I couldn't care less.

:rock:
Vol Til I Fall!!

There are worse things than getting embarrassed by Alabama. Flushing the program and starting over again, with a complete unknown quantity, that's one of them. Alabama spent a decade in the wilderness too after Gene Stallings retired, and had their share of dumpster fires. It can take a while to get it right.

No, we're not world beaters yet, but we're back in the conversation and improving year by year. In the regular seasons since CBJ got here, we've gone 5-7, 6-6, 8-4 and have 10-2 to play for still this year. We've gone 2-6, 3-5, 5-3 in conference and have a solid shot at 6-2 this year. I will take it, happily. Our record is improving every year and Alabama really has nowhere to go but down. Let's not get all bent out of shape because the timing dictates we do our own rebuild while Alabama is in the middle of a dynasty. Just give the Tide their props and keep on grinding.

And please, let's temper our expectations when it comes to patience. Ask a Georgia fan how they're feeling about losing to Vandy, and how that Richt decision feels about now. Alabama is an outlier; they're looking a bit like Wooden's UCLA when it comes to perennial quality. It is completely irrational to think that's the bar and anyone who can't duplicate that needs the axe if they can't pull the exact same thing off in a few years.

'Bama has run the table one time, just one time, since Saban got there, and they needed a Daniel McCullers miracle that year to beat a Lane Kiffin coached team with Crompton under center - tell me that's not their Clint Stoerner moment of that year. Storybook years always have some luck. Anyway that's just to say that running the table is never the bar for "should we keep our coach or not", you know? Good teams lose every year. Even a dynastic 'Bama has, almost every year. We did when we were starting to think we were fully back in prime time. Life goes on!

I'm 45 years old. Tennessee has gone undefeated once in my lifetime (1998). Heck, Tennessee has gone 6-0 once in my lifetime. The last time we started 6-0 before that was 1969. We are a very good program with a storied tradition of our own, and just because our biggest rival is on a ridiculous run, that's no reason to get all trigger happy about trying to find something that works any time there's a setback. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride, and GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Sounds to me like you're describing football. I can recall a lot of football seasons and I feel like you can't make assumptions based on how you win or lose. Winning or losing is all that matters.

I don't blame anyone for freaking-out -- it's their right. But maybe some of us just haven't been around long enough to have the perspective that it takes to be able to just enjoy success.

Yes. So much this. Sure, the Bama game was about as rough as it gets, but this team is still right were everyone thought they would, and are still the favorite to get to Atlanta. I really hate the "kneejerk" group of fans were every loss is the end of the season and every win means a championship.

I don't think we win that game even with everyone healthy.

I don't think Saban is the devil but I'm certain they've met.

And I do think I'm sane.
Exactly, you nailed it,

1) Satan ... Saban
2) The devil is also know as "Old Nick" and "The Crimson King."
3) Saban was born on Halloween, 10/31.

Do the math.

Looks like I have to do this again on another thread. Just because someone else has a different opinion than you doesn't mean that they're ignorant. You're really gonna have to accept that some people are just going to have different opinions than you. They're not ignorant, they just have a different view and if you can't deal with it, maybe you should take a break from this board for a while.

I respect your right to be wrong, forgive me.

Had we had won decisively against App st and Ohio, and not needed a Hail Marry against Georgia, the fan base wouldn't be on a thread. There is a legitimate concern that a lot of this season was luck and the Bama trouncing didn't help. It just feels like everything good this season has come with an asterisks.

So by your logic the previous decade was due to bad luck. You can't have it both ways. We are winning this year because we are good, not lucky. We lost in the past because we were bad.

If you think Debord is a good offensive coordinator then you my friend seem to demonstrate being an idiot

Well he bested the Chief the other day (Debord was not resopnsible for the turnovers) who won us a National Championship a couple of years ago.

If you would have said, in fall camp, that the team would be 5-2 after seven games. I would have been ecstatic. Florida loses two more. Vols cruise the rest of the way while healing up(even though you can almost guarantee we'll make 1 of those last four SEC games close) and Florida loses 2 more. Vols coast into Atlanta and will face an Alabama team that will be overlooking a much healthier UT squad. Not to mention, if A&M pulls off the improbable next week, then UT has a MUCH more favorable matchup in Atlanta.

Mr. Holloway you sir have rung the bell. We beat Florida and Georgia, we are masters of the East. Our goals still are before us. Enjoy the fruits of our labors. Forge ahead.

This wasn't the first time Debord has tried to make Dobbs a pocket passer, behind an offensive line that we know, can't block for more than 2 seconds.

Dobbs was in the pocket because the bama defense kept him there. They set the edge on every play as good as I have ever seen. They rushed the passer like men and even though there were open recievers much of the day we could not take advantage.

I personally don't like Debord, I don't think he brings anything to the table, and think we need to get a QB coach next year. But I've felt that way prior to this game and to be honest had zero expectation to win this especially given the injuries on D. However, I did expect better offensive production even with an injured line (many of whom I think were taken out to be safe). All that to say we win out and are hopefully full strength for the SECCG.

Last edited:
If you think Debord is a good offensive coordinator then you my friend seem to demonstrate being an idiot

There isn't a better candidate for Butch's OC than Debord. No one is better than DeBord at following Butch's plan than the guy who taught Butch said plan.

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds to me like you're describing football. I can recall a lot of football seasons and I feel like you can't make assumptions based on how you win or lose. Winning or losing is all that matters.

I don't blame anyone for freaking-out -- it's their right. But maybe some of us just haven't been around long enough to have the perspective that it takes to be able to just enjoy success.

Another winner. Enjoy success, doesn't last forever (even in Alabama, re: Mike Shula).

Because Butch has shown that he can motivate the team and successfully navigate through the back portion of the schedule. Tennessee still has a lot more talent than the remaining five teams on the schedule, and like the previous two years, will have a renewed sense of purpose after the by. But unlike the previous two years, Tennessee has some real goals left to attain and this team did not spend a half decade fighting back from mediocrity to let an SEC East Championship slip through their fingers by losing to Missouri or Vandy. Vols take care of business these last five weeks and the kneejerkers, as I like to call them, will be fully back on board.

Truth.

Yeah count me as sane, but that being said the offensive play calling is just simply not creative enough. Let's get healthy and really screw with all the playoff scenarios and win the SEC CHAMP.

GO VOLS!

I understand that when you play 3rd and 4th string players, with little to no live game experience, against the number one team in America...it's gonna have the potential of getting ugly.

I also understand that we have a good chance of winning out the rest of the season. When I compare that fact to where we were this time 2/3 years ago, I see great improvement.

Finally, I understand that the above comments puts me in the 'sunshine pumper family.' If that fact annoys you in any way, I couldn't care less.

:rock:
Vol Til I Fall!!
Having a correct perspective and world view is seen as a fault by many. But I am also guilty.

1) There are worse things than getting embarrassed by Alabama.
2) Alabama spent a decade in the wilderness too after Gene Stallings retired, and had their share of dumpster fires. It can take a while to get it right.

3) we're back in the conversation and improving year by year.

4) And please, let's temper our expectations when it comes to patience. Ask a Georgia fan how they're feeling about losing to Vandy, and how that Richt decision feels about now.
5) Alabama is an outlier; they're looking a bit like Wooden's UCLA when it comes to perennial quality. It is completely irrational to think that's the bar and anyone who can't duplicate that needs the axe if they can't pull the exact same thing off in a few years.

6) 'Bama has run the table one time, just one time, since Saban got there, and they needed a Daniel McCullers miracle that year to beat a Lane Kiffin coached team with Crompton under center - tell me that's not their Clint Stoerner moment of that year. Storybook years always have some luck.

6) I'm 45 years old. Tennessee has gone undefeated once in my lifetime (1998). Heck, Tennessee has gone 6-0 once in my lifetime. The last time we started 6-0 before that was 1969. We are a very good program with a storied tradition of our own, and just because our biggest rival is on a ridiculous run, that's no reason to get all trigger happy about trying to find something that works any time there's a setback. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride, and GBO!

Preach it Brother Armchair. I think many on here would be happier if they became bammer bandwagoners and pretended like they have always pulled for the Tide... like 90% of Alabama's fanbase. They could always jump on the Vol's bandwagon when the bammer ship goes down.

VN Store

Back