Russell Released

Signed by Seattle today. SUCK IT!!!!

What bothers me about the folks you are responding to is that these so-called fans are so quick to pile-on a former LV. I can't recall such hostility being directed at our former players, particularly one who came back for a redshirt season (rather than going pro).

Reactions: 8 people
Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want all of our former LVs to do well and succeed. Good for them, good for the program. Win-win.

Reactions: 5 people
What bothers me about the folks you are responding to is that these so-called fans are so quick to pile-on a former LV. I can't recall such hostility being directed at our former players, particularly one who came back for a redshirt season (rather than going pro).

It is totally disgusting. I am so happy for Mercedes and her family. Her mom is a hard working single mother who rarely got to see her only child play collegiately (only once in TBA - Senior Night) and now she will get to attend all her home games as a pro. I literally cried I was so happy how things worked out! I can’t understand people being so disrespectful to a Lady Vol who, as you said, chose to forgo the draft and spend an extra year in Knoxville. None of them would ever run their mouths to her face. Just sickening and pathetic.

Reactions: 11 people
It is totally disgusting. I am so happy for Mercedes and her family. Her mom is a hard working single mother who rarely got to see her only child play collegiately (only once in TBA - Senior Night) and now she will get to attend all her home games as a pro. I literally cried I was so happy how things worked out! I can’t understand people being so disrespectful to a Lady Vol who, as you said, chose to forgo the draft and spend an extra year in Knoxville. None of them would ever run their mouths to her face. Just sickening and pathetic.

I so agree, you are a real Tennessee Lady Vol fan.

No hate coming from me... Just disappointed at her capabilities verses effort! I have screamed at my television till I am hoarse and still the same lame effort! I am glad she is home and family and friends can see her play. Good for her.

However, I am not so sure that the team might have been better in the long run with Green and KK playing more minutes last year even if we lost more games ? Don’t know ? Maybe Holly will run with the young guns and stop this nonsense of forcing the ball inside while turning the ball over multiple times! My hope springs eternal wishes for the team ! I believe we have players that want to win and will do the work to be successful. The game is obviously changing . Will we adjust or remain the same ? It’s going to be fun watching the young guns grow ! 🤔

Reactions: 2 people
Russell held Russell back

Holly had a little to do with Russrll’s situation because she constantly built her up by talking about how good she was and she was a point guard in a post body. If she had pushed Russell and demanded more of her we might see a different Russell. Russell just got picked up by the Storm. I really hope they can coach her and get on her ass when she plays lackluster. I still believe she has untapped potential.

We have got to stop putting it all on the players for their failure to reach their full potential and give coaching a significant portion of the blame. Over 20 McDonald All Americans have been coached by Holly, out of the 20 MAA’s, how many have been All Americans while playing for Holly? How many are major contributors in the WNBA? We talked about Diamond like a dog and she is the only one who has potential WNBA star power. A lot of that is her God given athleticism and spending a year playing oversees. With Diamond’s ability she should have been an undisputed college All American.

I feel for the players as well in that they are having to put up with the Holly Haters.

I agree, to a degree... I'm in Tennessee Lady Vols fan. Not a Holley fan. Not a player fan. But all those people look at this site and all their families are looking at this site... That might be something to think about. I know I'm beginning to do so more as time goes by. But I still think I could make that coaching staff!

Reactions: 1 person
I honestly think Russell has a shot to make it as a pro for a few seasons, even if she's a role player. It's tough to teach size and while she doesn't always play up to it she has some decent skills around the basket.

I've been kinder to Russell than some because while I saw her have some really poor games, I also saw her have some very good ones. She's not very fast and had games where she was beaten out by lesser competition but her career was solid. It just wasn't what was expected of her coming into the program.

The Lady Vols have had plenty of good players the past decade but no one since Parker who was a star. Those players have wound up at UConn, Baylor, ND, SC and a few scattered others. I hope the days of having stars returns soon.

I honestly think Russell has a shot to make it as a pro for a few seasons, even if she's a role player. It's tough to teach size and while she doesn't always play up to it she has some decent skills around the basket.

I've been kinder to Russell than some because while I saw her have some really poor games, I also saw her have some very good ones. She's not very fast and had games where she was beaten out by lesser competition but her career was solid. It just wasn't what was expected of her coming into the program.

The Lady Vols have had plenty of good players the past decade but no one since Parker who was a star. Those players have wound up at UConn, Baylor, ND, SC and a few scattered others. I hope the days of having stars returns soon.

The only way Russell can make it in the WNBA is for someone ( coach or otherwise ) teach her how to be physical on both ends of the court .If anyone noticed her play in college ,anytime an opposing post roughed her up at the beginning of a game ,she disappeared for the remainder of the game.She must quit playing soft ,be able to mix it up under the basket and win at least a few of the physical battles because the WNBA is a physical league and you can not be a shrinking violet and survive .

Last edited:
Holly had a little to do with Russrll’s situation because she constantly built her up by talking about how good she was and she was a point guard in a post body. If she had pushed Russell and demanded more of her we might see a different Russell. Russell just got picked up by the Storm. I really hope they can coach her and get on her ass when she plays lackluster. I still believe she has untapped potential.

We have got to stop putting it all on the players for their failure to reach their full potential and give coaching a significant portion of the blame. Over 20 McDonald All Americans have been coached by Holly, out of the 20 MAA’s, how many have been All Americans while playing for Holly? How many are major contributors in the WNBA? We talked about Diamond like a dog and she is the only one who has potential WNBA star power. A lot of that is her God given athleticism and spending a year playing oversees. With Diamond’s ability she should have been an undisputed college All American.

Dean was coaching her for the most part. Holly isn’t going to tell the truth ever. She’s a sunshine pumper and needs to go. My opinion is Russell should have owned it. We also have to hold players accountable for not performing to their obvious potential.

If anyone noticed her play in college ,anytime an opposing post roughed her up at the beginning of a game ,she disappeared for the remainder of the game.She must quit playing soft ,be able to mix it up under the basket and win at least a few of the physical battles because the WNBA is a physical league and you can not be a shrinking violet and survive .

One got the feeling she, for whatever reasons, was particularly afraid of getting into foul trouble, so her defense was sometimes timid. If she accepts that she is a role player who gets, at most, 8-10 minutes per game, she may come to realize that she can afford to play stingier defense in that capacity.

Mercedes is unlikely to ever have the weight of the team on her shoulders and, so, will be freer to commit a few "message fouls" that she may never have felt comfortable committing before for fear of fouling out.

I've played with a player or two back in the day who were deathly afraid of fouling out and it hurt their game. Maybe Mercedes was one of those players. I mean, did she ever foul out of a game at Tennessee? And if not, doesn't that seem a bit strange for a center?

Russell should just go for it. Let her size work as an intimidation factor. But she'll have to put the fear in opponents -- like Griner used to do to our Lady Vols. :ermm:

One got the feeling she, for whatever reasons, was particularly afraid of getting into foul trouble, so her defense was sometimes timid. If she accepts that she is a role player who gets, at most, 8-10 minutes per game, she may come to realize that she can afford to play stingier defense in that capacity.

Mercedes is unlikely to ever have the weight of the team on her shoulders and, so, will be freer to commit a few "message fouls" that she may never have felt comfortable committing before for fear of fouling out.

I've played with a player or two back in the day who were deathly afraid of fouling out and it hurt their game. Maybe Mercedes was one of those players. I mean, did she ever foul out of a game at Tennessee? And if not, doesn't that seem a bit strange for a center?

Russell should just go for it. Let her size work as an intimidation factor. But she'll have to put the fear in opponents -- like Griner used to do to our Lady Vols. :ermm:

Agreeing with you until intimidation.... Those days has passed her by. No one is intimidated by her in the pro’s... maybe if she went to China or Japan? 😈

Agreeing with you until intimidation.... Those days has passed her by. No one is intimidated by her in the pro’s... maybe if she went to China or Japan? 😈

I agree that, right now, there's likely no-one that Mercedes could intimidate in the W. But she could definitely work on that and become someone who could, at the very least, make a few guards hesitate to drive the lane she's standing in. Mercedes was always a decent shot blocker, and if she continues to work on that aspect of her game while worrying less about fouling, she could possibly earn herself a more secure spot in the league.

I sure am pulling for 'Cedes!

They ain't passed her by...She should have been taught before now though....But, A good coach can get anything out of anyone!, As long as that "anyone" has a passion the coach can find. Its not easy to unleash a deep-hidden beast, but it can be done,!.

They ain't passed her by...She should have been taught before now though....But, A good coach can get anything out of anyone!, As long as that "anyone" has a passion the coach can find. Its not easy to unleash a deep-hidden beast, but it can be done,!.

Coach..... I have a lot of faith in your drills and understanding on teaching fundamentals! However , there is no beast in Mercedes... Just My Opinion! 😁

Coach..... I have a lot of faith in your drills and understanding on teaching fundamentals! However , there is no beast in Mercedes... Just My Opinion! 😁

Once they learn "they CAN be a beast".....and, how incredible it feels to impose your will on someone,,,They're hooked.

All someone had to do to get across to her was to find the right motivator,,,Like maybe, "Did you come back an extra year, just to get pushed around?...

Last edited:
I feel for the players as well in that they are having to put up with the Holly Haters.

It is amazing how you are pitted as a Holly hater because you disagree with her coaching style and the end results. Holly has recruited some very outstanding high school talent who have not lived up to what they could be. Either we are recruiting players that have been over hyped or they leveled off prior to reaching the college level.

I see nothing outrageous about wanting to be a top ten consistent team. It appears that we have had the talent but it seems to fall short. This is especially true as of late.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back