Russell plans to average double-double her senior year

I never said she wasn't a load in the post, as she should be. She's 6'6. When she gets the ball in her spot, she is much more difficult to stop than Izzy or Bashaara.

At the end of last season, I was more worried about her leaving for the WNBA than Diamond because she would be pretty much impossible to replace with anyone on the roster or a freshman. Her size alone makes Tennessee a dangerous team. . But she was still only 2nd team SEC in her best season. If she had Izzy's hands, she would have easily been an AA.

Not if her team underachieved. She could post 20 and10 and if the team doesn't live up to expectations she wont be an AA.

I liken it (NO not her size or ability) but a situation to John Wall only made ALL NBA 3rd team and no defensive team when besides Lebron was second most player involed in his team's point production, led NBA in steals, AND all guards in blocked shots.

Just saying sometimes a teams record can influence voting about the individual. The coaches didn't vote for her but all of them repeatedly mentioned how good of a player she is... go figure. Plus the media, well we won't get started on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Just saying sometimes a teams record can influence voting about the individual. The coaches didn't vote for her but all of them repeatedly mentioned how good of a player she is... go figure. Plus the media, well we won't get started on them.

Concur.

Not if her team underachieved. She could post 20 and10 and if the team doesn't live up to expectations she wont be an AA.

I liken it (NO not her size or ability) but a situation to John Wall only made ALL NBA 3rd team and no defensive team when besides Lebron was second most player involed in his team's point production, led NBA in steals, AND all guards in blocked shots.

TAMU fans could easily make the same argument that Khalia Hilsman would have been an AA if she was on a better team (although that seems to have hurt Alaina Coates).

Then you also have players like Brittany Martin (Okl State), Jillian Alleyne (Oregon), Amanda Zahui B and Rachel Banham (Minnesota), and Brittany Boyd and Reshanda Grey (Cal) make All American teams in spite of playing for unranked and somewhat mediocre teams. I'm not convinced that Mercedes isn't on the list just because Tennessee sucked last year.

TAMU fans could easily make the same argument that Khalia Hilsman would have been an AA if she was on a better team (although that seems to have hurt Alaina Coates).

Then you also have players like Brittany Martin (Okl State), Jillian Alleyne (Oregon), Amanda Zahui B and Rachel Banham (Minnesota), and Brittany Boyd and Reshanda Grey (Cal) make All American teams in spite of playing for unranked and somewhat mediocre teams. I'm not convinced that Mercedes isn't on the list just because Tennessee sucked last year.

One nuance is that those AA's you mention were the primary star on their team. TN had at least 3 stars dividing the points and spotlight. Just unusual to have 3 "stars" and still not light up the night sky, right?

Didn't Brittany Boyd and Reshaunda Gray Cal team make the final four? I don't remember the other players making all American status.. maybe honorable mention like Mercedes but I don't remember them actually getting on the team. I could be mistaken.

One nuance is that those AA's you mention were the primary star on their team. TN had at least 3 stars dividing the points and spotlight. Just unusual to have 3 "stars" and still not light up the night sky, right?

I don't think that Diamond, Mercedes and Jaime sharing the spotlight was that big of a deal because there was no one else on the team fighting for a piece of it. It's not like SC or UConn where a Coates/Davis/Williams/Nurse could have put up much bigger numbers if they weren't sharing the spotlight. If anything, Tennessee's Big 3 had it easier because they all got a lot of touches and opportunities to shine.

Didn't Brittany Boyd and Reshaunda Gray Cal team make the final four? I don't remember the other players making all American status.. maybe honorable mention like Mercedes but I don't remember them actually getting on the team. I could be mistaken.

Cal made the FF their sophomore year, due more in part to Layshia Clarendon than Boyd/Gray. And yes, the others on my list were all AP AAs.

I don't think that Diamond, Mercedes and Jaime sharing the spotlight was that big of a deal because there was no one else on the team fighting for a piece of it. It's not like SC or UConn where a Coates/Davis/Williams/Nurse could have put up much bigger numbers if they weren't sharing the spotlight. If anything, Tennessee's Big 3 had it easier because they all got a lot of touches and opportunities to shine.

But not as many as if there'd only been 2.

I believe Russell has the ability to be a first team All American, she just has to stay on the job all game long. There were several instances, last year, in which she displayed outstanding abilities. I do see speed as an issue, hopefully she worked on that this summer. It takes forever for her to go from one end of the court to the other. I am looking for a real brake out senior year for Russell.

I believe Russell has the ability to be a first team All American, she just has to stay on the job all game long. There were several instances, last year, in which she displayed outstanding abilities. I do see speed as an issue, hopefully she worked on that this summer. It takes forever for her to go from one end of the court to the other. I am looking for a real brake out senior year for Russell.

She doesn't have a choice but to find speed this year. The staff wants her to be the go to player of the offense and Warlick says they will be running this year. So, if she wants to not only achieve what she did last year plus get 1 more rebound per game she will have to adjust to a faster pace (assuming that does in fact happen).

Also, she wants to shoot a better free throw percentage, so her endurance is going to need to be top notch. Nothing makes you miss more free throws than tired legs. I think she makes first team AA.

VN Store

Back