RTL Stats After 3 Games - Current Roster - Comments?

We'll see, but in it's entire history RTL play has meant less than spring football game stats.

I don't think a lot can be taken from the stats. What you can take out of it is Mostella wanting the ball and hitting a game tying 3 with someone drapped all over him. Josh Richarson completely shutting down Maze at the end of the game. Mostella letting anyone and everyone drive right by him. Armani settling on a 3 instead of driving the ball. McGhee out hustling Reese on the boards.

Individual match up are the key to taking things from the RTL

We'll see, but in it's entire history RTL play has meant less than spring football game stats.
Jesus, we are talking individual players not the damn Rocky Top League. Do you think Butch Jones learns nothing about his players in spring practice? Do you think Coach T learns nothing about his players in the Rocky Top League? If you do then, I repeat, you don't know squat about baskteball. I'll soften it a bit, you might know a half squat but not with a 45 pound weight!

I don't think a lot can be taken from the stats. What you can take out of it is Mostella wanting the ball and hitting a game tying 3 with someone drapped all over him. Josh Richarson completely shutting down Maze at the end of the game. Mostella letting anyone and everyone drive right by him. Armani settling on a 3 instead of driving the ball. McGhee out hustling Reese on the boards.

I don't even take that away from it. I've saw too many people impose their will in individual match-ups there only to have the season start and nothing remotely close to what they did in RTL actually occur during real games.

This has been posted here already, but it's as plain a statement as can be made.

“It’s fun for the fans. That’s about it, basketball-wise,” the coach said. “I mean, again, it’s a great league, it’s well-run, I think it’s fantastic for our community. But there’s nothing happening in those games that’ll happen when we play in the SEC. There’s just no similarities whatsoever.”

Jesus, we are talking individual players not the damn Rocky Top League. Do you think Butch Jones learns nothing about his players in spring practice? Do you think Coach T learns nothing about his players in the Rocky Top League? If you do then, I repeat, you don't know squat about baskteball. I'll soften it a bit, you might know a half squat but not with a 45 pound weight!

You can call me all the names you wish, that's fine. You're a fellow serviceman and I still respect you. But you're wrong here. Coach knows it. Everyone knows it. Not sure why it's so hard for you to admit.

Reactions: 2 people
Couple things...

When you're wide open your percentages tend to increase...

The high school line is closer than the 3 point line...

I would venture to guess if someone pulled last years RTL percentages they would realize there's not much translation

Wasn't even thinking about this.

I don't even take that away from it. I've saw too many people impose their will in individual match-ups there only to have the season start and nothing remotely close to what they did in RTL actually occur during real games.

This has been posted here already, but it's as plain a statement as can be made.

“It’s fun for the fans. That’s about it, basketball-wise,” the coach said. “I mean, again, it’s a great league, it’s well-run, I think it’s fantastic for our community. But there’s nothing happening in those games that’ll happen when we play in the SEC. There’s just no similarities whatsoever.”

Every time I see this quote, I want to say, "Are you sure there aren't at least a few similarities? For instance, I'm expecting a fair amount of dribbling." :p

Thank you JB. I haven't been able to make it to any games yet, and this one post provided as much info as I've found in any of the RTL threads. Cause I don't put any stock in the stats of this league either.

Hope 'money' don't fall in love with that 3 tho. He need to be thinking attack attack attack, on both ends of the floor.

Well, if he's going to work on the 3, then why not a the RTL

If as many of the 3 point shots these guys are taking are as uncontested as some have made them seem, he could get those reps in a gym by himself. But working on dribble drive would seem to be more productive against competition. just a thought

This is all you get without subscription. Anybody read it and can comment?
Donnie Tyndall's Vols defend their Rocky Top League defense
Vols players insist they guard in Rocky Top
By Mike Strange

You can usually tell if someone has improved in these type of settings though. You could tell with Richardson and Moore last year. Throw the stats out and look with your eyes. If the shot looks better and they are shooting at a high clip in these games, there is a good chance they are going to be better when the real lights come on. Not saying superstars, but better and improved.

As for the new guys, will let you know how athletic they are, that's about it.

Love the bolded part. :good!:

A little stat magic for you. If you take the points scored by each of those in the limited time they played and left them in the whole game DeMontre Edwards would have averaged 14.6 ppg, Robert Hubbs would have averaged 10.9 ppg, Armani Moore would have averaged 10.3, and Darius Thompson would have averaged 6.2. Keep in mind that was against the real season competition.

If I have to explain why that's a bogus argument it's not even worth attempting, my hope is that you were trying to be funny.

If not then wtf were we doing leaving Galen Campbell on the bench, he would've been good for 17ppg.

What about those shooting percentages?

Last edited:
This is all you get without subscription. Anybody read it and can comment?
Donnie Tyndall's Vols defend their Rocky Top League defense
Vols players insist they guard in Rocky Top
By Mike Strange

They start trying to play defense in the last 5 minutes, and even then it's poor.

You can't throw 5 guys out there from different teams with different abilities, not having a single practice, and expect them to play egg executive defense.

It's why almost all these games end on the hundreds, yet how many regular season games hit triple digits? I can assure you from watching both with my own eyes, there's more defense played in the pickup games in Pratt than in the RTL.

If I have to explain why that's a bogus argument it's not even worth attempting, my hope is that you were trying to be funny.
If not then wtf were we doing leaving Galen Campbell on the bench, he would've been good for 17ppg.
What about those shooting percentages?
Ask Cuonzo.

Reactions: 1 person
They start trying to play defense in the last 5 minutes, and even then it's poor.

You can't throw 5 guys out there from different teams with different abilities, not having a single practice, and expect them to play egg executive defense. It's why almost all these games end on the hundreds, yet how many regular season games hit triple digits? I can assure you from watching both with my own eyes, there's more defense played in the pickup games in Pratt than in the RTL.
That's your opinion just like it was your opinion that Armani Moore was shooting terrible in the Rocky Top League based on your attending one game when the stats showed differently? Someone even made that comment that that was all they got from them was that he was shooting lights out. I asked if someone read the article. Evidently nobody on here has a subscription or if they do they have not read that particular article. Again it appears no one is defending the defense played in the RTL except the players themselves. I thought there would be some interesting comments there. Even Tyndall said there was not much defense played. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that if Willie Carmichael has a dozen swats that he must be playing a little. The same goes for Chism and Hall. I'm sure there's a steal here and there also.

Too bad. You don't have to read it. By the way is this not good running and gunning practice? Is that not gonna be our offense?? Geez, you guys have absolutely no perception!

I have never defended the defense played so the hijackers come in and make it about the RTL being meaningless. I say it is not meaningless. It is playing five on five basketball. It is shooting the ball. It is dribbling the ball. It is rebounding the ball. It is passing the ball. And it is even defending the ball. The stats have meaning. Having made a career trusting statistics, I feel like I know what I am talking about. Evidently, some of you don't!

I have never defended the defense played so the hijackers come in and make it about the RTL being meaningless. I say it is not meaningless. It is playing five on five basketball. It is shooting the ball. It is dribbling the ball. It is rebounding the ball. It is passing the ball. And it is even defending the ball. The stats have meaning. Having made a career trusting statistics, I feel like I know what I am talking about. Evidently, some of you don't!

Did you even play basketball?

You can't blindly trust statistics

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Did you even play basketball?
You can't blindly trust statistics
I actually coached basketball and baseball. My son averaged 17 ppg as a freshman in high school, decided not to play basketball, and concentrate on baseball in which he was signed to a college scholarship.

VN Store

Back