RPI at #69

The RPI disagrees. Unless Ky falls out of the Top 100, it's considered a quality win.

UT has 5 quality wins (UMASS, Wichita St, Xavier, Bama, Ky) and 1 questionable loss so far (UGA). Noel was missing when we beat Ky, but we destroyed them. Golden was missing when we lost to UGA.

My point was that KY is sinking like a rock. By the end of the season, they're not going to be viewed as a quality team if they keep going the way they're going. So, I doubt the committee will see that shellacking yesterday as a feather in UT's cap in the grand scheme of things. But, the way the Vols played yesterday, I think we'd have beaten them even with Noel. I'm looking forward to beating FL. That will be a quality win that no one can deny.

lol at so many ppl being on Martin's Johnson when the same ones was calling for his head a week or two ago. Seriously lol???

Imo, we dont make the tournament unless we go on a huge run and that means beating everyone on our schedule, hoping for a 5 or lower seed and at least a championship game. I think we make it in likely playing a top team in the 2nd round.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Win out, win 2 in SEC tourney - removes all doubt. If they continue to play like they did yesterday for the rest of the season they could play themselves in. That was impressive even with UK being down. The tempo, effort and focus were there the entire game.

lol at so many ppl being on Martin's Johnson when the same ones was calling for his head a week or two ago. Seriously lol???

Imo, we dont make the tournament unless we go on a huge run and that means beating everyone on our schedule, hoping for a 5 or lower seed and at least a championship game. I think we make it in likely playing a top team in the 2nd round.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I still have serious doubts about Martin if that makes u feel better lol

We had some TERRIBLE losses last year.

Exactly. There are several routes to the tourney this year, but only if we take it one game at a time and take care of business. I would not think another UGA type loss would make it likely.

No guarantees for this team unless we win the SEC tourney.

That being said, I think the following gives us an outside shot:

#1) Only one loss in remaining regular season games (either Mizzou or Florida)
#2) Win at least 2 games in SEC tourney

That gives us a puncher's chance, but a lot depends on what other teams do also. Doesn't help us that the SEC is very weak this year.

Got us to what position? I mean yesterday's win was incredible but we are at .500 sec ball and close to that overall. We are far on the outside looking in. He hasn't gotten us anywhere yet.

Um he actually has us in control of our destiny when it comes to tourney hopes, with a relatively easy schedule remaining. Say what you want but Cuonzo-coached teams get hot at the right time, there's no way the committee will snub us 2 years straight if we win out with one loss

Need to stay hot and just win the tourney.

Oh and don't even get me started on all the close games we lost. Will drive you made if you think about it for too long.

I think we really screwed the pooch losing to GA. Could be a huge reason we don't make it in.

Would be very awesome to take down the Gators in the same fashion we just dismantled the Mildcats. Don't know that it is realistic to hope for such a result, but still, it would be awesome.

The only bad thing about winning a game like this is looking back as a fan and wondering where things could be right now if they had played as well as they did yesterday for the whole season, especially if only in the area of all of the turnovers caused by errant passes and stupid decisions. Regardless, it's gonna be fun watching them finish out the season if they put forth this much effort from here on out. Really happy for them and what they accomplished yesterday.

Agree with everything you say, but it's really gonna be tough to get a win v Florida ... the times I've seen them they've looked virtually unbeatable, but anything can happen, especially if we play like we did yesterday. Great to see them turn some things around.:dance2::rock:

No guarantees for this team unless we win the SEC tourney.

That being said, I think the following gives us an outside shot:

#1) Only one loss in remaining regular season games (either Mizzou or Florida)
#2) Win at least 2 games in SEC tourney

That gives us a puncher's chance, but a lot depends on what other teams do also. Doesn't help us that the SEC is very weak this year.

Yeah, it's an RPI/the SEC is weak this year issue. Gonna be hard to make up ground with our remaining schedule and where our RPI is right now. Virtually have to beat Florida and Mizzou. If we don't I think we have to win the SEC tourney. Hope I'm wrong but I think it's just the math.

I think we're getting it going a little too late. I think in all likelihood we need to run the table and beat UF as well as Missou. We might have a slim chance if we lose to UF then beat everybody else. No matter what we will need to win 2 games in the SEC tourney.

It's a shame we didn't get it going just a little sooner.

I think we have to win 5 of our last 6 and maybe 2 in the SEC tourney. Much like what others have been saying, we just need to take one game at a time.

Yeah, it's an RPI/the SEC is weak this year issue. Gonna be hard to make up ground with our remaining schedule and where our RPI is right now. Virtually have to beat Florida and Mizzou. If we don't I think we have to win the SEC tourney. Hope I'm wrong but I think it's just the math.

According to how the RPI works (and I'm no expert, just read what others say), a loss at A&M would be better than a loss at home to Florida. However, the win at A&M would be better than the win against Florida.

According to how the RPI works (and I'm no expert, just read what others say), a loss at A&M would be better than a loss at home to Florida. However, the win at A&M would be better than the win against Florida.

Beating Florida that's in the top 10 is a better win than any other road win.

IF we win out we would be 20-10 with 4 quality wins. Really only one borderline "bad" loss in UGA and would have played a top 30ish schedule winning 9 of 10 down the stretch. That one bad loss was without our PG too.

I think we would go into the SECT needing just 1 win to be in IF we win out.

IF we win out we would be 20-10 with 4 quality wins. Really only one borderline "bad" loss in UGA and would have played a top 30ish schedule winning 9 of 10 down the stretch. That one bad loss was without our PG too.

I think we would go into the SECT needing just 1 win to be in IF we win out.

I don't even think we would need to win an SECT game (although that would be nice).

20 wins should get UT in IMO.

The so called experts say that the team that finishes the season will be the ones evaluated on selection day. If that is the criteria, I agree 20 should get us in the dance. However, their are a lot of smaller conf. getting 4-5 teams in, like the Mountain West. The SEC is so down this year, so 20 wins would best case get us on the last 4 in list. But likely a return to the NIT. IMO

VN Store

Back