Roquan Smith Declares for 2018 NFL Draft

I think you know me by now that I just don't go with the consensus.

I make my own conclusions on prospects after watching them.

There is nothing wrong with seeing the guys out there people are touting and then reviewing their film. Especially small school guys who I don't get a chance to watch during the college football season.

FTR it wasn't CBS that led me to Vander Esch. It was Mike Mayock who had him ranked as the 3rd best inside linebacker in the draft. I had never heard of him so decided to watch tape on him.

Could you post links to that tape? I only watched a couple BSU games this year.

Size aside the kid is one of the best instinctive players I have ever seen. It seems like he was involved in every single defensive play and he can deliver a lick. Kirby Smart compared him to CJ Mosley both size and athleticism and Mosley has kicked butt at the next level.

You absolutely nailed it. We could miss him more than any player that is leaving. He was everywhere he needed to be, when he needed to be there. There aren't many LBs like him and there's no way we replace him with just one guy.

I played LB in HS and I cannot fathom how great a nose he had for the ball, and how perfect his tackling skills are.

His fellow players said that Kirby and Mel had to sometimes limit his reps because he was such a beast at practice, they were afraid he was going to hurt someone. Hopefully those around him learned.

Loved to watch him play, hated to see him go.

Tape or season highlights?

The great thing about YouTube is there are breakdowns already of prospects actual game tape. I watched Vander Esch's bowl game against Oregon. Also there are full games on YouTube as well for those players where someone already didn't break down the tape so you can just see the prospects snaps.

Could you post links to that tape? I only watched a couple BSU games this year.

Here's the bowl game I was talking about:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9V8dZI_HZX8[/youtube]

There are also other games queued in the suggestions column if you want to see more. I personally need one game to see how special a player is. The great jump off the screen immediately after a few plays.

That was the case with Leighton Vander Esch. Took only a few snaps to see he was SPECIAL.

I personally need one game to see how special a player is. The great jump off the screen immediately after a few plays.

That was the case with Leighton Vander Esch. Took only a few snaps to see he was SPECIAL.

That is insanely stupid. This is one of those moments when I hope you're trolling.

That is insanely stupid. This is one of those moments when I hope you're trolling.

If I need to watch a lot of film on a prospect to tell whether he's good, then that means he didn't jump off the screen immediately to me. That's not good. Because the greats typically have transcendent athleticism that is readily apparent. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if they are special.

For example, it only took me a few snaps the other day to see that Leighton Vander Esch was a transcendent talent. I saw a tall, long, rangy, athletic freak with incredible closing speed and ability to shed blockers. Never seen a middle linebacker like that before. I really didn't need to see anymore tape than the first few snaps for my evaluation. I just watched the rest of it because he was so entertaining to watch.

That being said, it is kind of adorable that D4H pretends to be knowledgable on football. Maybe he dresses up on draft day and pretends he is making the picks or grabs a phone and pretends to be calling all his favorite players (the ones he cut pictures out of Athlon Sports of and taped to his walls) to tell them he drafted them to his team.

and...you don't?

VN Store

Back