Rooting for SEC teams when they aren't playing Tennessee

Do you pull for other SEC football teams (when not playing UT)?

• Total voters
I always do. And I believe it indirectly effects us.

If SEC teams beat non-SEC opponents, then the SEC is conceived as a better conference than others. And if this is the case then a 2 loss SEC team will more than likely get the nod at the end of the year to be a playoff team as opposed to a 2 loss non-SEC team. So I certainly see this as a legatimate reason to root for SEC teams when they play non-SEC opponents.

Reactions: 4 people
A big reason to pull for the SEC. You young guys weren't around when the press and everyone in the sports world thought that the sun rose and set in the greatness of the big ten and the southwest i.e. Tx, Ok, Neb. After that seem to wear thin, came USC, and UCLA. Got very old over time. Now its the SEC. Pull for us (we UT) are part of a greater good!!!

Reactions: 2 people
We are not Kentucky , Vandy , South Carolina , or Miss State . We don't need to cheer for the SEC to make us feel better about our team . I wish the other SEC teams lost every game because when the SEC wasn't the best in collage football and we was on top it didn't hurt us AT ALL .

The struggles of our fellow SEC teams this weekend did lift my spirits. It doesn't erase my unease about our performance on Thursday, but is sure did brighten my mood. There is too much history with each SEC team except A&M for me to feel anything positive about them. I wish they all lost and I wish somehow USCe and Candy had both managed to lose too.

Not an SEC homer and I will never chant SEC.

This attitude and location Knoxville, is one reason many far west areas of Tenn. and most of the remainder of the SEC area (after all only KY is farther removed to the north and east - underscore north- than UT). Like most brothers we should fight like hell among ourselves, but band together and beat hell out of everyone else!

Always, the internet has changed this forever, and this week is going to be rough.

Almost always pull for SEC. But not when its Florida. And never Alabama since they picked up Kiffin. The SEC CG was hard for me last year... until they showed Kiffin running down the side-line excitedly. Can't stand that guy.

A big reason to pull for the SEC. You young guys weren't around when the press and everyone in the sports world thought that the sun rose and set in the greatness of the big ten and the southwest i.e. Tx, Ok, Neb. After that seem to wear thin, came USC, and UCLA. Got very old over time. Now its the SEC. Pull for us (we UT) are part of a greater good!!!

I used to think the same way, as you. However, when we began to fade from the forefront it changed me. Not sure when (exactly) but 2006ish I began to see how counterproductive it was to be ALL SEC. The main reason being recruiting, especially within the SEC but not exclusively. Now I pull against nearly all other conference teams with a few exceptions that are conditional. The lifeblood of college football is recruiting and praising other rival, SEC, teams is incredibly harmful to our own future.

I am loyal to one team only. I could care less if the other teams win and usually hope they don't.

If this hope were to come to fruition then the SEC would turn into what everyone ribs the B1G and ACC about; who did they beat.

Can't say OSU/Iowa or Clemson/FSU are overrated because they played a schedule full of unranked conference opponents and then want our conference opponents to lose as often as possible and ultimately be unranked.

Reactions: 1 person
If this hope were to come to fruition then the SEC would turn into what everyone ribs the B1G and ACC about; who did they beat.

Can't say OSU/Iowa or Clemson/FSU are overrated because they played a schedule full of unranked conference opponents and then want our conference opponents to lose as often as possible and ultimately be unranked.

Couldn't I argue that this is exactly how it was meant to be? Even though I think you, drastically, oversimplified the issue, I can't see how it would be "bad" for UT or CFB in general.

Couldn't I argue that this is exactly how it was meant to be? Even though I think you, drastically, oversimplified the issue, I can't see how it would be "bad" for UT or CFB in general.

It wouldn't be bad if we went 12-1 and were left out of the playoffs because our conference was perceived to be weak? There's only four spots and five P5 conferences so 1 is always getting left out.

Auburn's situation in 2004 is now some what alleviated due to the playoff but that situation still stands to happen (albeit not if SEC champ is undefeated as they were) if you're battling for that 4th spot with someone else. SOS is going to be the determining factor when two teams have similar records/resumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I used to pull for other sec teams as long as it didn't hurt the vols.
Always wanted any team we will play to be undefeated or as highly ranked as possible and to give is strength of schedule, etc.
Not anymore.
I want every sec team to lose at all times unless it directly benefits us.
Only sec team I pulled for yesterday was auburn cause I can't stand Clemson
And at the end, when it was clear auburn would lose, I reminded myself that I can't stand auburn either

Reactions: 1 person
I don't care who wins the national championship. As long as it's not Alabama, gosh I'm so sick and tired of Alabama

Me too!! Unfortunately I have to work with a ton of Bama fans here in North Alabama! Most I would say are bandwagon fans. I can remember some about 15 years ago were huge vols fans. After last night I really don't see anyone beating Bama either. Sure hope im wrong!!!

I root for Bama's whole team to get caught using PEDs. I root for the Gators to lose PERIOD, FORVER. I root for Ark. State to beat Auburn. Badly. I root for Georgia
s whole team to get caught in a huge cheating scandal. etc.......

UT first, UT opponents second, SECE third, SEC fourth.
I always want UT's opponents to be strong so that nobody can claim UT plays cupcakes. When UT wins, I want them to beat opponents that beat everyone else. I love spoiling their parties! I also want opposing teams to come in with as few injuries as possible so that UT can beat them when they are at full-strength. I hate hearing losing fans chirp about how they would have won if they hadn't been forced to rely on their fourth-string walk-on true freshman QB. Probably because when UT wins against a depleted team, I always wonder if they beat the *real opponent or just a shell of it. I like playing in a conference that scares the bejeesus out of others. If you don't think that counts for something, then perhaps you would be just as happy to see UT compete in the Sun Belt and consistently be ranked at the top?

Last edited:
I always cheer against UF, UGA and Bama. And when they happen to play each other I root for a giant sinkhole to open up on the field and swallow all the players and coaches. Other than that I normally pull for the other SEC teams

I cheer sec teams on playing in big games as it helps us .... Unless it is uga ... I just can't do that ever.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back