Rodney Woods fired

Indeed, …… I realize a different player and different name altogether, but do you recall Howard Wood? I used to love watching him play in the post. Whenever there is mention of a Vol from yesteryear, it always triggers my memory of other Vols from the era.
Howard Wood was a fun player to watch operate in the lane and around the basket from my recollection.
I sure remember Howard Wood and his teammates. I saw them quite a few times at Stokely. I agree he was fun to watch.

Indeed, …… I realize a different player and different name altogether, but do you recall Howard Wood? I used to love watching him play in the post. Whenever there is mention of a Vol from yesteryear, it always triggers my memory of other Vols from the era.
Howard Wood was a fun player to watch operate in the lane and around the basket from my recollection.

Billy Hahn was a slick ball handler back in the day..

And he defended Pete Maravich as good as anybody could.

Dickie Johnston was another high level PG that played for CRM.

Bert Bertelkamp was a big recruiting win for Mears. He was a great shooting guard in high school that ended up playing mostly PG at UT. Mears wrangled him away from Dean Smith and North Carolina.

No dunking. No shot clock. No 3 point line.

It is a more exciting game nowadays .... but occasionally, I get nostalgic for how things used to be.
My dad and I went to a game from this era that ended as an all time low scoring game (in the teens I think) due to both teams playing 4-corner offense since there was no shot clock.

And he defended Pete Maravich as good as anybody could.

Dickie Johnston was another high level PG that played for CRM.

Bert Bertelkamp was a big recruiting win for Mears. He was a great shooting guard in high school that ended up playing mostly PG at UT. Mears wrangled him away from Dean Smith and North Carolina.
Wasn’t Bertelkamp from Bearden? Seems like he would have been a natural Vol.

My dad and I went to a game from this era that ended as an all time low scoring game (in the teens I think) due to both teams playing 4-corner offense since there was no shot clock.
That reminds me of a North Carolina vs Duke game from the 1979 (posted below). Duke had a 7-0 lead at halftime. North Carolina only attempted one shot the entire first half, and they missed it. Some of the most boring college basketball games ever played were North Carolina games before the shot clock .... and they usually had multiple future NBA players.

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back