Rodney Woods fired

Last edited:
With that 1975 video running, I’m reminded just how bad Kesling is. There is zero doubt who is making plays with the John Ward PBP. Kesling, for whatever reason, tries to be impartial and you can’t tell which team just made a great play if not listening closely (thank you Bert for bringing the passion). I want a homer calling TN games. Please retire, Bob. 25 years is a decade or more too long.

Typical Kentucky local politics. This clown may have bit off more than he can chew.
Next he may try to make them rename the gymnasium.
You should watch the meeting where they voted him in 3-2 in spite of all of the protests from the community, many whine were threatened by the future superintendent’s family. It makes me think Justified was more accurate than I thought.

Well, the good news is he will get to come see his beloved UT Vols play basketball more often. He's got to be over 70 by now.

Reactions: ArdentVol

Man you can't beat classic video like that. It just seemed like an era of times gone by. Even Woods giving a knife or scissors to what appeared to be a fan. No 3 point line, no dunking. The pregame showmanship was fun to watch. It reminds me of the Admiral and Grant era high flying dunking pregame.

Shame on the conspirators…
Woods also played baseball at UT. His Powell Valley teams were a powerhouse in Single A ball in the early 80’s in our district, as I recall. Here is another article that details some interesting recruiting tidbits that he shared…

You should watch the meeting where they voted him in 3-2 in spite of all of the protests from the community, many whine were threatened by the future superintendent’s family. It makes me think Justified was more accurate than I thought.
Where can the video be found? I went on the Wayne County board of education site but didn't see it. Thanks!

Reactions: Orange.
Shame on the conspirators…
Woods also played baseball at UT. His Powell Valley teams were a powerhouse in Single A ball in the early 80’s in our district, as I recall. Here is another article that details some interesting recruiting tidbits that he shared…
Where did you go to school? We were in that district. Played them at LMU while their gym was being renovated and had the district tourney there when they finished with it. Barry Kincaid was a monster. Was going to play for Stu Aberdeen at Marshall but Stu passed away in June of 79.

That's sad.
Indeed, …… I realize a different player and different name altogether, but do you recall Howard Wood? I used to love watching him play in the post. Whenever there is mention of a Vol from yesteryear, it always triggers my memory of other Vols from the era.
Howard Wood was a fun player to watch operate in the lane and around the basket from my recollection.

Thank you so much Thunder Good-Oil. That brought back really good memories from my First Year of Law School. Those games were exciting, and Ray Mears really knew how to make basketball games a great, fun event. Bruce Pearl could energize but watching this film, I had forgotten how good Mears was a getting a crowd motivated. His methods were different from Pearl’s but actually more effective. That was a great team, and Rodney Woods was a great point guard. He coached at Powell Valley, my old high school, and took them to never before seen heights.

What is that mascot? And that warmup was certainly…entertaining 😂

That’s the original Smokey costume. When Bob Woodruff retired in 1985 he directed the POTS band during halftime of the Vanderbilt game. He was on the field during the circle drill and about 40 of those Smokeys ran in circles around him.

The band used to march in from the tunnel closer to the visitors bench and take a lap or two around the court.

The was also a mascot of an orange. About 4 feet in diameter.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back