RIP Steve Sloan (August 19, 1944 – April 14, 2024)

Sloan coached the Commodores two seasons from 1973-74 and posted a career record of 12-9-2. Vanderbilt was 5-6 in 1973 and 7-3-2 in 1974. The only other Vanderbilt coach to post a winning career record since 1952 is James Franklin, who was 24-15 from 2011-2013.

but for the grace of God

Reactions: StarRaider
Will always remember Sloan's commercials about the little steak biscuit at some restaurant chain in and around Nashville.

Will always remember Sloan's commercials about the little steak biscuit at some restaurant chain in and around Nashville.
Every Vandy coach did Ireland’s commercials in those days. Steve was a great guy & Christian. He was very active in FCA thru out his career.

Sloan in the 70s was rumored to be the replacement for Bryant. Bear advised Sloan not to take the Ole Miss job cause he knew Sloan couldn’t win there. He took it anyway & failed. After that Steve never had much success in coaching. Then he got caught in the Alabama fiasco as their AD.

Reactions: Volfan1000
When I was a freshman or sophomore at UTC, we had to write a end of semester research paper on any topic of our choice for an English class. I picked college athletes being paid and the pros and cons of it. We had to use a variety of different types of sources and one had to be an interview of someone with some kind of direct experience with the topic. He was the AD at UTC at the time, so emailed him asking if I could swing by his office or call him for an interview.

He replied back and said he was out of town and had a lot of travel coming up, but asked me to send him some questions and he'd answer the best he could. I sent him maybe 5-6 questions and a couple of days later, at maybe midnight or 1:00 in the morning, he sent back these very detailed, well-thought out responses that made up the bulk of the info in my paper. Also mentioned all these other angles I hadn't thought about that made the paper a lot better.

I wish I still had the email, but I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of that if the rules were ever changed and athletes were allowed to be paid, it wouldn't be from the NCAA, the member schools, or athletics conferences themselves but from booster collectives (he didn't use that term but basically indicated the money wouldn't come out of athletics revenue, and it would be the end of lower-level college athletics if that ever did happen). He ended up being exactly right. I thought it was really nice for him to do that and ended up with a really good grade on the paper.

Last edited:
I’m a life long Vol fan that actually graduated from Vandy. I was a freshman in 1974. That was possibly the best team Vandy ever had. Tied Texas Tech in the Peach Bowl then Sloan went there to coach. But he was a good coach and even better man.

Every Vandy coach did Ireland’s commercials in those days. Steve was a great guy & Christian. He was very active in FCA thru out his career.

Sloan in the 70s was rumored to be the replacement for Bryant. Bear advised Sloan not to take the Ole Miss job cause he knew Sloan couldn’t win there. He took it anyway & failed. After that Steve never had much success in coaching. Then he got caught in the Alabama fiasco as their AD.
Remember an Irelands on the strip maybe around 70.

We grew up in the same neighborhood, but he was 14 years older than me. Thanks to him my brother in law got a football scholarship as a WR.

VN Store

Back