RIP Jimmy Buffett

I was sitting in Smokey's Palace in the old UT Student Center in the fall of 1975 when a friend of mine blew in with an album in his hand.

"You've got to buy this!"

The album was, of course, A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean.

I asked, "Who's this?"

My buddy said, "I went to see him last night in the Music Building. He's great."

I immediately went to the record shop in the Student Center, bought a copy, and was immediately hooked. I was a Parrothead before the term was even invented.

Vaya con Dios, Jimmy, and thanks for all the music and the memories.

To my mind this is the ultimate Buffett song. I may put it on a loop today:

I was sitting in Smokey's Palace in the old UT Student Center in the fall of 1975 when a friend of mine blew in with an album in his hand.

"You've got to buy this!"

The album was, of course, A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean.

I asked, "Who's this?"

My buddy said, "I went to see him last night in the Music Building. He's great."

I immediately went to the record shop in the Student Center, bought a copy, and was immediately hooked. I was a Parrothead before the term was even invented.

Vaya con Dios, Jimmy, and thanks for all the music and the memories.

To my mind this is the ultimate Buffett song. I may put it on a loop today:

If I was forced to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with "A Pirate Looks at 40."

Jimmy Buffet was the same age as my Dad, and I grew up hearing him play and sing Cheeseburger in Paradise, and the like. Like myself, my Dad can't sing for **** and he's not a great musician either, but he loves music and he'd just wail away on JB's stuff. A good deal of my Dad's musical taste rubbed off on me, but as an adult, I can't say I'm much of a parrot-head. I do vibe with the ballads, like Come Monday and If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me.

His death hit a little hard. My Dad's mortality has become much more real the last 10 years, and this is one of those nudges that makes you think.

Jimmy Buffet was the same age as my Dad, and I grew up hearing him play and sing Cheeseburger in Paradise, and the like. Like myself, my Dad can't sing for **** and he's not a great musician either, but he loves music and he'd just wail away on JB's stuff. A good deal of my Dad's musical taste rubbed off on me, but as an adult, I can't say I'm much of a parrot-head. I do vibe with the ballads, like Come Monday and If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me.

His death hit a little hard. My Dad's mortality has become much more real the last 10 years, and this is one of those nudges that makes you think.
Enjoy your dad as long as you are able. My dad died almost 13 years ago and it's been 5 years since my father-in-law died from a similar, fast-moving form of skin cancer that Jimmy died from.

Hopefully, Buffett has now found his Margaritaville and his One Particular Harbour. Sail On Sailor. 🏝️⛵

Reactions: n_huffhines
Enjoy your dad as long as you are able. My dad died almost 13 years ago and it's been 5 years since my father-in-law died from a similar, fast-moving form of skin cancer that Jimmy died from.

Hopefully, Buffett has now found his Margaritaville and his One Particular Harbour. Sail On Sailor. 🏝️⛵

"You see your folks enough? How often you see them? What, two or three times a year? What have they got left? Maybe 20 years? That’s…60 more times you get to see ’em. That’s it. Sixty more times. Sixty more hangs. Are you making the most of these hangs? Are you creating cherished memories?" - Aziz Ansari

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Would Love to go to this. This is going to be pretty great. Hate that it’s in LA.
IMG_3442.jpeg

VN Store

Back