Riddle me this, was White ever offered?

Uhm no, it was an interview Hart did on the radio, you're welcome :hi:
That seems to me that that would be confidential information. You don't give out stuff like that on public radio. Link?
PS He'd have a hell of a time negotiating in the future if he gave out that kind of stuff for someone he didn't even hire.

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports
"But a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials and receiving an informal offer, White is opting to stay at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide."

RUSTON – Louisiana Tech University and head men’s basketball coach Michael White have agreed in principle to a six-year, $3.6 million contract extension, according to Athletics Director Tommy McClelland.

Tyndall agreed to a six-year contract worth $1.6 million per year to replace Cuonzo Martin, who went 63-41 in three seasons at Tennessee before California hired him on April 15.

Not sure it matters but White agreed to his 6 year $3.6 million extension two weeks before Cuonzo left Tennessee. Maybe La Tech promised to bump him a little more after UT offered. Still no way they could pay over 1 million per for a bk coach. Really looks like he is waiting on Ole Miss.

That seems to me that that would be confidential information. You don't give out stuff like that on public radio. Link?
PS He'd have a hell of a time negotiating in the future if he gave out that kind of stuff for someone he didn't even hire.

Interview on Hyams show, look it up.

Since White's dad is AD at Duke, White could be in line to step in at Duke when Coach K retires.

Duke's going to demand the best possible candidate...and there are too many great candidates with Coach K ties to bow to nepotism.

Reactions: 1 person
Interview on Hyams show, look it up.
I did exactly that and listened to the interview with Dave Hart on the Hyams show. It really backed up my point about giving the link even though some stations are slow in getting it up. My interpretation of what he said is totally different than yours. Shall I explain? My feeling is that White was never formally offered to have a chance to turn it down. The future was the stumbling block, for UT, not Michael White. It came out in the interview. Dave Hart said as much. He said that he like to approach 8 applicants and get in front of three. Notice in this case it appears the number was two. Dave Hart said that the template remained the same because you could not vary it except maybe minor tweeks between candidates. So let's put it this way, Michael White was approached, but not offered with the understanding there were other candidates. Dave Hart went next to Donnie Tyndall, #2 in the sit down, and was so blown away by the qualifications, there was no #3, and #1 became history. A formal offer was made and accepted. So when you said Michael White turned down $9.6 million for six years in exchange for $3.5 million for six years at Louisiana Tech. Don't think so! :hi:

Duke's going to demand the best possible candidate...and there are too many great candidates with Coach K ties to bow to nepotism.

Like most top schools, Duke likely has a anti-nepotism rule, thus he could not work for his dad at Duke.

Then maybe look at Hyams twitter, because he posted exactly what I said based off what Hart told him :hi:
The question here is "Was White ever offered a formal contract". I say no! Ever heard the one about how a story changes as it goes from person to person? That's why I have a problem with a lot of your statements. Here is Jimmy Hyams tweet that you relied on, "UT AD Dave Hart indicated the story that Michael White said no to UT due to buyout issue was untrue. Hart said his buyout `template' was the one signed by Tundall -- $3 million buyout if fired or left UT prior to March 15, 2017; $1.75M if parted ways March 2017-18, $1.5M if parted ways on or after March 16, 2018. In others $3M buyout for first three years, then dropping significantly in next 2 years." The key word is "indicated". This was an subjective judgement about what was said in the interview. Dave Hart did not say that at all. He only said the template was similar for all candidates. Then you picked this up and put your own spin on it like the other sports writers reported it as White turned down the offer. Again, I say, who would believe White turned down $9.6 million for $3.5 million. The buyout issue is nonsense. He could afford to pay the buyout with $6 million extra dollars! Conclusion, Michael White was never offered and the media spin was designed to make the public think that the mighty Vols were turned down by a coach at lowly La Tech. It is all a con game!:detective:

Reactions: 3 people
The question here is "Was White ever offered a formal contract". I say no! Ever heard the one about how a story changes as it goes from person to person? That's why I have a problem with a lot of your statements. Here is Jimmy Hyams tweet that you relied on, "UT AD Dave Hart indicated the story that Michael White said no to UT due to buyout issue was untrue. Hart said his buyout `template' was the one signed by Tundall -- $3 million buyout if fired or left UT prior to March 15, 2017; $1.75M if parted ways March 2017-18, $1.5M if parted ways on or after March 16, 2018. In others $3M buyout for first three years, then dropping significantly in next 2 years." The key word is "indicated". This was an subjective judgement about what was said in the interview. Dave Hart did not say that at all. He only said the template was similar for all candidates. Then you picked this up and put your own spin on it like the other sports writers reported it as White turned down the offer. Again, I say, who would believe White turned down $9.6 million for $3.5 million. The buyout issue is nonsense. He could afford to pay the buyout with $6 million extra dollars! Conclusion, Michael White was never offered and the media spin was designed to make the public think that the mighty Vols were turned down by a coach at lowly La Tech. It is all a con game!:detective:

This speculation makes more sense than any of these other whoppers that have been "confirmed"...so I'm going with it...WE GOT OUR FIRST CHOICE!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The main thing is this didn't drag out. We appear to have a coach that is indeed qualified. He brought his staff with him and added a long time friend to be his head recruiter. At this stage we're moving towards recruiting. How's Mizzou looking?

The main thing is this didn't drag out. We appear to have a coach that is indeed qualified. He brought his staff with him and added a long time friend to be his head recruiter. At this stage we're moving towards recruiting. How's Mizzou looking?

I had to Google Mizzou's coach's name! 😛

VN Store

Back