Returning SEC QBs and their comp%

Fortunately for Jarrett, that wasn’t and appears to still not be an issue for him. And I think it’s worth noting that ball security is high on JPs list per his own comments about qb play. It’s one of the primary reasons I feel confident that JG is our starter come September.

We will see. Not impressed with him so far. Highly rated dual threat who was no threat for us last season. Could be Butched. Could be a bust.

Here's hoping we see a spark this year from him.

Fortunately for Jarrett, that wasn’t and appears to still not be an issue for him. And I think it’s worth noting that ball security is high on JPs list per his own comments about qb play. It’s one of the primary reasons I feel confident that JG is our starter come September.

He brought in a grad transfer for a reason and it’s not because JG’s seat wasn’t warm. JG may win the starter role, but he doesn’t have it sewn up. Not even close.

Reactions: 1 person
67% and over 9 ypa his last four starts. He got better as the year progressed. He needs to get rid of it faster but passed it much better than many give him credit for.

Of course his stats improved in the last 4 games of the season. Those are the worst teams (defenses) we played. This is a phenomenon that has been repeating for at least the last 25 years. Nevertheless, we still managed to lose those games last year.

Reactions: 2 people
You have to realize, it's not just that chryst may be starter, and it might not just be that chryst will push JG. We have a coach now has a detailed list of things that this team must have and a good backup is one of them. We haven't had a coach that has done that in awhile. Butchs starting lineup at the beginning of the season was never an issue. Injuries, attrition, and not having a plan to withstand those losses was. If our O Line has injuries, or doesn't improve, there's a good chance that whichever qb starts will either be injured or at least need to be rotated because of having to run for his life or because of sacks and being hit as he throws without a sack. Having a competent backup or possibly even rotating qbs may be the key to having a successful season this year.

This list as determined by a “deeper level” analytic isn’t meant to be definitive but rather just another puzzle piece. It perhaps provides additional context for JG’s play last year, which we all agree wasn’t good enough at the end of the day. But perhaps it was better in spots than a lot of people seem to think?

As far as the question you asked regarding “normal football game consideration, there’s something else to notice about this list......Hurts and Fromm played on teams that were the 2 best teams in the country, that played in the national title game, were a combined 26-3. Stidham played on the SECw division champion team that won 10 games. Even Ja’amu played for a 6-6 Ole Miss team that won 3 SEC games. By contrast, JG played on the worst team in the SEC missing it’s top returning WR

As far as other more traditional statistics, it’s a mixed bag. JG had the lowest passer rating of the 5 on this list at about 129, but he had a higher completion % than Hurts but was essentially even with Fromm. JG’s yards per attempt was also relatively low compared to the others, but a lot of that was a function of the horizontal passing game offense he was in under an incompetent first time OC....and the lack of an OL and the stud WRs like Ridley and the kids at OleMiss.

So, in my mind, this PFF stat helps balance the comparisons a bit since JG was at a distinct disadvantage given the team around him, compared to Alabama, Georgia Auburn and even OleMiss.

Then again, if he didn’t hold onto the ball forever on every pass play, then he wouldn’t be hit as he released so many passes.

Reactions: 2 people
We will see. Not impressed with him so far. Highly rated dual threat who was no threat for us last season. Could be Butched. Could be a bust.

Here's hoping we see a spark this year from him.
I've wondered if maybe the coached didn't want him to run honestly. The indecisiveness he had may have been from coaches telling him not to turn the ball over like dormady was prone to doing, or running because running almost guarantees getting hit unless you get out of bounds. We were down to McBride as a backuo and possibly all the pressure caused him to eat so many sacks. I mean think about it, no receivers are open, it's been pounded into your head not to turn the ball over, and possibly told not to run. Who knows what went on behind the scenes this past season.

I've wondered if maybe the coached didn't want him to run honestly. The indecisiveness he had may have been from coaches telling him not to turn the ball over like dormady was prone to doing, or running because running almost guarantees getting hit unless you get out of bounds. We were down to McBride as a backuo and possibly all the pressure caused him to eat so many sacks. I mean think about it, no receivers are open, it's been pounded into your head not to turn the ball over, and possibly told not to run. Who knows what went on behind the scenes this past season.

Counter with this: the few times he ran he looked slow.

If JG is our future, we had better hope he was coached to not run / avoid the big hit.

Not many topics on here elicit more vociferous debate than those about Tennessee quarterbacks, past, present and future.

So here you go.....according to Pro Football Focus, there is something called “Adjusted Completion Percentage”. It is defined as a QB’s completion percentage after accounting for dropped passes, throwaways spiked balls, batted passes and passes thrown as the quarterback was hit.

Here are the top 5 returning QBs in the SEC this year and their respective Adjusted Completion Percentages....

1. J. La’Amu (Ole Miss) 76.8%
2. J. Hurts (Alabama) 76.2%
3. J. Stidham (Auburn) 75.3%
4. J. Guarantano (UT) 73.6%
5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Aside from noticing that evidently all SEC QBs’ first names appear to begin with the letter “J”, I thought it interesting to see that Guarantano, who at least half VN thinks is horrible and will be easily beaten out by Keller Chryst this summer, is just behind Stidham and just ahead of Fromm on this list.

Discuss....
Was surprised Missouri's Drew Lock was not in that string of QB's. In certain games last year he was smokin hot piling up yardage and completions. Looking into it his average completion percentage in 2017 was 57.4%. Some of the defenses are really just that bad..

If JG is our future, we had better hope he was coached to not run / avoid the big hit.

Agreed. Trying to think back to last season, I wonder how well if any did he run at the beginning of the season because he did get injured towards the end and may have been dealing with a nagging injury that was only made worse by the hit in that game.

He brought in a grad transfer for a reason and it’s not because JG’s seat wasn’t warm. JG may win the starter role, but he doesn’t have it sewn up. Not even close.

Imho, he brought in Chryst to compete for sure because JG wasn’t great last year and McBride just isn’t a viable SEC quarterback. Smart thing to do. If Chryst wins the competition, then we’re better off....if JG wins it, then he’s better for the competition/having Chryst push him. Either way, we need more QBs in the QB room and bringing in a guy with Chryst’s experience was the right thing to do.

I agree that JG surely doesn’t have the job sewn up, but I definitely think he has a leg up. He struggled last year a good bit, but I believe I saw a lot of potential and skill/ability from him. I think quality coaching, which I’m hopeful he’s getting now after surely not getting any last year, is gonna make a big difference for him. We’ll see.

I think JG being labeled a “dual threat” QB was just wrong. Quite honestly, I think it probably had to do with stereotypes. Is he a good athlete? Yes, kid can run a little bit, he can move ok. But it’s clear from last year that he’s not a great runner and that he wants to play from the pocket, to a fault. He’s kinda the anti-Josh Dobbs imo, who was wrongly labeled a prostyle qb coming out of highschool.

So, I think it’s more than JG being coached not to run last year....I think it’s just not instinctive to him and I think he’s nowhere near as good/athletic running as Dobbs was. Dobbs was an elite running QB, whereas JG is only serviceable there. Conversely, JG is definitely a better natural, more accurate passer, by a lot.

Then again, if he didn’t hold onto the ball forever on every pass play, then he wouldn’t be hit as he released so many passes.

Agree. Thought his sack issues last year was 50/50. Half on him for holding the ball ridiculously long last year at times when he wasn’t initially pressured.....half on the fact that he had no time whatsoever at times behind easily the worst OL in the conference.

What I liked about JG last year was his courage to stand in the pocket and being willing to take a hit in hopes of making a play....and his ability to be accurate throwing the ball when he was on time and could step into his throws. What I didn’t like was his seeming inability to be instinctual in feeling pressure and taking so many bad sacks. But I think his pluses outweigh his minuses and you can’t teach the natural skills he already has throwing the ball....Dobbs showed us that we imo.

Last edited:
So here you go.....according to Pro Football Focus, there is something called “Adjusted Completion Percentage”. It is defined as a QB’s completion percentage after accounting for dropped passes, throwaways spiked balls, batted passes and passes thrown as the quarterback was hit.

That's like saying if you take out booze, drugs, gambling, and hookers I'm very responsible with my money. :loco:

Reactions: 3 people
How different would your opinion be about JG if Palmer catches that TD in his hands against Florida (which means Vols win) and Johnson holds on to that one in his hands against SCAR (which means Vols win)?

JG is a work in progress. He looked more "fluid" and in control in the spring game. My jury is still out but I think he has the potential to be a solid SEC QB.

How different would your opinion be about JG if Palmer catches that TD in his hands against Florida (which means Vols win) and Johnson holds on to that one in his hands against SCAR (which means Vols win)?

JG is a work in progress. He looked more "fluid" and in control in the spring game. My jury is still out but I think he has the potential to be a solid SEC QB.

Dormady played against UF

Reactions: 3 people

South Carolina

I think JG being labeled a “dual threat” QB was just wrong. Quite honestly, I think it probably had to do with stereotypes. Is he a good athlete? Yes, kid can run a little bit, he can move ok. But it’s clear from last year that he’s not a great runner and that he wants to play from the pocket, to a fault. He’s kinda the anti-Josh Dobbs imo, who was wrongly labeled a prostyle qb coming out of highschool.

So, I think it’s more than JG being coached not to run last year....I think it’s just not instinctive to him and I think he’s nowhere near as good/athletic running as Dobbs was. Dobbs was an elite running QB, whereas JG is only serviceable there. Conversely, JG is definitely a better natural, more accurate passer, by a lot.
I think so too. I don't think he'll ever be as good as dobbs running, but if he can turn a would be sack into a 2 or 3 yard gain or roll out and get a pass in it would definitely help us and I think that's possible. He's not going to be able to get out of all of them.

Wow. Look at JG's %'s. He must be awesome! That UT team probably lit up the scoreboards with that kind of offense last year!!

I apologize if not because I was living in an apparent alternate reality where UT's QB's were hot garbage, the offense couldn't score points in 4 straight games, and went 4-8..

You do realize that the QB is not the only player on the field, right. Over react much. OP just pointing out there were at least a couple of positives from the disaster that was last year.

Of course his stats improved in the last 4 games of the season. Those are the worst teams (defenses) we played. This is a phenomenon that has been repeating for at least the last 25 years. Nevertheless, we still managed to lose those games last year.

He got better when he started. His starts were against teams that were either SEC teams or bowl teams. His numbers in his starts got better as the year progressed. That is what you want from a freshman qb. With the talent and coaching around him his stats in his starts were good. No one can argue against that.

No we didn't win. If wins are all that count, Hurts is the best qb in the nation. Maybe the team plays a part in wins a little bit.

Wow. Look at JG's %'s. He must be awesome! That UT team probably lit up the scoreboards with that kind of offense last year!!

I apologize if not because I was living in an apparent alternate reality where UT's QB's were hot garbage, the offense couldn't score points in 4 straight games, and went 4-8..

4-8 gives you rights to say those things.Just remember we had a makeshift OL out there and JG had no time to throw and was hit on almost every play.Our OL may be a lot better this year if Hall and Smith are ready,and the Juco guy Johnson can help.If the transfer from Ala. is allowed our line could be very good!

VN Store

Back