replay official

Mann I wish I'd have watched the game. I had to be at work at 7pm and didn't get off til' 7 the next morn. I did keep teach on play by play, but so much left unsaid on the play by play. I know at one point Hurd had like 7-8 carries for 15 years... yikessss

No.

1 bad decision when a non guaranteed TD would have put them still 10 points out doesn't mean he should be blamed for anythibg.

The play I can not figure out what he was thinking, was lining up in a formation with no Rb in backfield on 3rd and goal on 2 yrd line. That of course ended in a pick 6!!!

Reactions: 1 person
How obvious was the fumble? The Oklahoma fans in the stadium conceded that it was a fumble and they refused to show the replay on their jumbotron (every other play was shown over and over)

I honestly don't think that this call was as cut and dry as you guys are making it out to be. I think it could have gone either way and when calls are like that, I always expect them to support the call on the field. That's why I wasn't surprised with the outcome.

I don't have the video, so I can only comment on what I remember seeing live. The Oklahoma player obviously lost possession of the ball before his knee touched the ground. I don't believe anybody is disputing that. However, after his knee touched the ground, he wedged the ball between his arm and his torso. It obviously wasn't a very safe position for the ball to be in, but the ball wasn't "loose" (you can observe this by noticing how Cam has to rip the ball out of his grip instead of just picking it up). At this point, the Oklahoma player's knee is obviously down and you can argue that he has possession of the ball because it is not loose. If those two things are true, it doesn't matter if he lost possession of the ball while he was falling.

Again, I think it was a tough call to make. It's a judgment call on whether a player has possession of a ball for a small amount of time. I believe that if it was ruled a fumble and Tennessee recovery on the field, that also would have been held up in review.

He could have let his knee touch and the play would have been dead. He knew the ball was coming out. He already had the first down. But he kept pushing forward and should have lost possession. The replay officials blew that one badly.

If u watch slow motion the ball comes loose at initial contact

Any replay crew that sees this replay and doesn't think this is a fumble is either 1) grossly incompetent, 2) a biased fan of the Big 12, or 3) has money on the line. In any case, the NCAA should look into this and fire them immediately.

Looked like a fumble. Firing ain't gonna happen...too bad. Movin' on!

GO VOLS!

I've heard this for years, "You can't win in college football until you learn to beat the refs." If we want to be "back" we need to get use to crap calls and learn how to overcome them.

Last edited:
You bring up a good point, though. The field crew should not have been from the SEC, either. All of the officials should be from a neutral conference.

As for the replay crew, let's just say that the Big VII is not a stranger to controversy of this kind.

A Big VII conference replay crew was suspended just last week for this very same kind of thing

I am eating crow today. I disagreed with a poster yesterday who complained about the refs. I looked at the replay and there was clearly a lot of blatant holding by OU that didn't get called. If it was one or two plays, I say OK, but their OL made a day holding Vereen, Maggitt and Barnett. There was a lot of aggressive DB play from both sides that didn't get called. The replay was a bad call, but when they announced the Big 12 crew was doing replays I knew it was not going our way.

The crew on the field was SEC, is the instant replay not part of the field crew?

Not sure. I saw 4 blatant holding calls on OKL. Our front seven regardless of personal is a handful. AJ the exception of course.

I've heard this for years, "You can't win in college football until you learn to beat the refs." If we want to be "back" we need to get use to crap calls and learn how to overcome them.

You are right. You have to expect getting bad calls especially on the road. You just know that Big 12 replay crew will give OK the benefit of the doubt given it could affect getting their team getting to the playoffs. The SEC officiating crew doesn't believe the Vols will be in the mix, so they can ignore the holding that OU was doing and maybe some calls they didn't call on us. Games are subject to human error, judgments and biases by players, coaches and refs so you have to play well enough to overcome whatever is thrown at you.

There is no doubt that the Sooners were the better team Saturday and therefore didn't need any extra help, but they sure as hell got plenty from the officials.

Reactions: 3 people
If u watch slow motion the ball comes loose at initial contact

Question for someone that knows, cause I surely don't.

When the first started showing the replay, one of the first clips showed the official coming in from the bottom. He was cut out on most of the rest of them as they were zoomed in looking at the knee. Is the play dead as soon as the hand goes up? If so, did that play in to the equation cause it looked to me like he blew it dead prior to everything else? right or wrong..

Its baffling how they screwed up that call. Even the "replay official" they had comment said the call should be overturned. Nothing is guaranteed, but that was a huge momentum swing.

With that said, you're not gonna win many games when you throw 2 picks in the endzone. the refs aren't completely to blame here.

Its baffling how they screwed up that call. Even the "replay official" they had comment said the call should be overturned. Nothing is guaranteed, but that was a huge momentum swing.

With that said, you're not gonna win many games when you throw 2 picks in the endzone. the refs aren't completely to blame here.

I don't remember him ever said that it should be overturned. I never heard that, at least. I heard him say when the ball was considered fumbled, but then he specifically brought up the question of whether the Oklahoma player regained possession of the ball while his knee was on the ground. I would love to watch a reply of the whole incident, though.

I don't remember him ever said that it should be overturned. I never heard that, at least. I heard him say when the ball was considered fumbled, but then he specifically brought up the question of whether the Oklahoma player regained possession of the ball while his knee was on the ground. I would love to watch a reply of the whole incident, though.

maybe i misheard, but what i drew from the conversation was that the call should have been reversed because it was indeed a fumble with the video evidence they had.

These are types of calls that can go either way, and of course i'm biased, but man the vols cannot seem to catch a break.

Score 13-7. Oklahoma fumbles. Big 12 replay crew would never overturn and did not. Take 7 points off Okies' score. 3rd and 2 inside the 5. Worley throws interception returned for touchdown. Add 7 to Okies' score and subtract 7 from Tennessee. Net +7 for Tennessee. Score 14-13. Does the rest of the game play differently? That's just how close we really were. 2 plays, 1 each, against Georgia and Vandy stopped us from being 7-5 instead of 5-7.

As I posted yesterday, there are several games that we have played that had one single play that determined the outcome of the game.

Wins:

(1) E. Gordon intercepts Vandy in O.T.

(2) Big Dan Williams blocks the Kentucky field goal in O.T.

(3) Mitchell makes a game winning tackle on a 2 point conversion against Air Force to seal the win.

(4) Palardy makes the game winning field goal last season against USC

(5) Ryan Succof missed the game winning field goal and we beat USC.

(6) Billy Ratliff's fumble recovery against Arkansas

Losses:

(1) A. Foster fumbles the ball against Penn State.

(2) Anderson fumbles the ball on the 2 yard line against Alabama

(3) Manning throws the ball to Nilo Silvan rather than a wide open Little Man Stewart and we lose the game agaisnt Alabama as time expires.

(4) Mt. Cody blocks Lincoln's game winning field goal.

(5) 13 men on the field at LSU

(6) referee at UNC game

Score 13-7. Oklahoma fumbles. Big 12 replay crew would never overturn and did not. Take 7 points off Okies' score. 3rd and 2 inside the 5. Worley throws interception returned for touchdown. Add 7 to Okies' score and subtract 7 from Tennessee. Net +7 for Tennessee. Score 14-13. Does the rest of the game play differently? That's just how close we really were. 2 plays, 1 each, against Georgia and Vandy stopped us from being 7-5 instead of 5-7.

"The inches we need are EVERYWHERE around us.. We gotta claw with our fingernails for that inch!"

The replay officials are from the big 12 and when they look at the "possible" fumble they send down word that they see a knee down. Butch screams in disgust and the announce crew is amazed at the decision and the ball game is reversed. Until there is a either an independent replay group that takes care of all replays or a neutral conference official nothing will be even in out of conference play. I am sure that this replay group has been influenced by a biasis for their immediate conference.

"The Big 12 Officials Hate us"!:cray:

QUOTE=DougVol;10563221]Not sure. I saw 4 blatant holding calls on OKL. Our front seven regardless of personal is a handful. AJ the exception of course.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What I miss? AJ is everywhere especially now that he has speed on both sides.

VN Store

Back