Recruitment 2016

The discussion on TS was that some didn't want a man to be a coach of the LVs because they didn't think Pat would want a man as a HC. I disagree. Pat would want what's best for the program, and she wouldn't want a woman as HC over a man if the woman was not as qualified. And I have no doubt that Pat dreams of Tyler one day coaching here.

Tennessee is still a dream job in the women's basketball coaching world. Unfortunately, most of the great coaches are actually at programs that are actually better than Tennessee right now (i.e. Walz at Louisville, McGraw at Notre Dame).

The question of whether a man should coach a women's team is interesting. I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of coaches are women. How many males coaches are there in the country? I can think of three--at georgia, kentucky and ct. Are there many more? I think there is a natural tendency to hire women, just as every men's team in the country is coached by a man. However, there isn't any real reason why a man couldn't or shouldn't be hired--and if Hart thought that a male candidate was by far the best choice, I would hope that he would offer him the job. I think the next hire needs to come SOON, and it will be a huge hire. Hart should be scouring the country for potential candidates.

If Tyler Summitt proves himself an exceptional coaches, he will get bigger jobs down the road--but anybody who think that he's going to save UT women's basketball because of his name is whistling Dixie. The game is tons more competitive than it was when PS was winning titles. She got a head start on most of the country--much like North Carolina in women's soccer. And in a much more competitive environment a premium is placed on coaching--you HAVE To have a first-rate coach and staff, not a second- or third-rate staff.

Louisville, Arkansas, TAMU, MTSU, Chattanooga, are the ones that come to mind. (And of course LaTech)

I don't really agree with that. There is no evidence that is what was happening. If Pat had all her faculties and was still coaching today I have no doubt we'd still be competing for championships. She'd will her teams to win. We just really don't know when Pat started losing it. I think it was actually a couple of years before it was reported.

I read armchair's comment and found it puzzling as well. Shanna Zolman, Angie Bjorkland, Shekinna Strickland, Hornbuckle, of course CP3, among many others, were skilled basketball players and some like Zolman and Bjorkland worked their butts off to compensate for deficiencies in their athleticism. I was following the team very closely during the baby vol years (Glory J and company) and CPS never got a handle on that team. Sadly, I now also suspect that her illness was effecting her capabilities.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't really agree with that. There is no evidence that is what was happening. If Pat had all her faculties and was still coaching today I have no doubt we'd still be competing for championships. She'd will her teams to win. We just really don't know when Pat started losing it. I think it was actually a couple of years before it was reported.

Dementia is a process that can take years to recognize. No one can really say when Pat started having the effects of the disease and how it affected her to the point it reached three years ago. To attempt to defend the ineffectiveness of the team on Pat's condition is just not fair to her. Especially if we use that type of reasoning to defend Holly's team and coaching style. She has the five stars, as many as Pat had. At this point we need to measure planning, developing, and coaching style and not judge this team based upon Pat's health situation.:stop:

I read armchair's comment and found it puzzling as well. Shanna Zolman, Angie Bjorkland, Shekinna Strickland, Hornbuckle, of course CP3, among many others, were skilled basketball players and some like Zolman and Bjorkland worked their butts off to compensate for deficiencies in their athleticism. I was following the team very closely during the baby vol years (Glory J and company) and CPS never got a handle on that team. Sadly, I now also suspect that her illness was effecting her capabilities.

Weren't they #1 seeds for their Sophomore and Junior years? Had the misfortune of running into a maturing Griner in one year and Skylar the second, but they had good seasons. Senior year was a different story. You could tell something was way off with the team.

Sorry to get off thread, but on MTV's "True Life" tonight at 11pm eastern (less than 1 hour) and at 1:30am, the episode "I'm Being Recruited" will air. I'm not sure, but I'm hoping this will be the episode with future Lady Vol Te'a Cooper.
Go Lady Vols!:clapping:

Weren't they #1 seeds for their Sophomore and Junior years? Had the misfortune of running into a maturing Griner in one year and Skylar the second, but they had good seasons. Senior year was a different story. You could tell something was way off with the team.
The junior year game, when ND won in the Elite Eight, there was definitly something wrong. Only time we ever questioned Pat's coaching...as in could not figure out what she was doing or why. I think if Pat had not been ill that was a very winnable game for her and the team.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back