Recruiting Forum Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see nothing in Schiano's resume that gives me any reason to believe he would be the coach we're looking for. Nothing. The only thing he has done that should even give anyone reason to notice him is ONE season at Rutgers. That's it.

The argument that he did that at Rutgers so he'd be even better here is nonsense. We have no reason to believe that. His Rutgers record was vs a weak schedule. How many times has that logic been used and then failed. His schedule here would be much tougher.

The argument that the NFL thought enough of him to hire him is also nonsense because he clearly proved them wrong and was not the hc they thought he was. Maybe he'll be great at OSU, but that's as an assistant.

Will we never learn? We scream for Fulmer's firing and end up with Kiffin, but really Dooley. We scream for Dooley's firing and end up with Jones, whom everyone is screaming to be fired. Now we want Schiano? The history of hiring college football coaches shows that it's not an easy thing to get right. Who knows, he could end up being the best coach we've ever had. But I see zero evidence that he would be as good as probably a dozen others who have been mentioned.

What “evidence” could one peruse to sway himself/herself on Tee Martin, Jim Bob and others on that Dirty Dozen? “Evidence” seems to be lingo for dug in OPINION. :) I’ve advocated first and foremost for the splash instant credibility hire which points at Kelly or Gruden...results not 100% guaranteed but highly probable. Then Dan Mullen who would more than hold serve but I’m not confident he advances the program IF we succeed where Florida and Miami failed in even getting an INTERVIEW. Then we’re doing the Frost (who I’m excited about and sure Nebraska is too), Norvell, Brohm blah blah blah thing. Schiano is as good a candidate as any of those names (important...wait for it) imo. That’s what we’re left with and curious as to Currie’s since his matters. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Not directing this at you so much as I am the board but I am shocked that Justin Fuente is a name that isn't even getting mentioned Much when making long list like this one.

With what I am being told about Currie spending $ I absolutely think he is a realistic hire.

I like Fuente a lot and think he'd be great for us.

I think he's pretty happy where he is, though.

That's an insane number for Fuente. Doubling his salary. If we're paying that much I'd hope we get Patterson.

I just threw out a number but I think Fuente is much more likely to take the job than Patterson. Maybe 5 mil is all it would take but that guy is worth elite money IMO

I just threw out a number but I think Fuente is much more likely to take the job than Patterson. Maybe 5 mil is all it would take but that guy is worth elite money IMO

Yeah, I just wonder how far VT would go to match whatever UT offered. I think we're going to make a lot of coaches a lot richer in about a month or so.

Not directing this at you so much as I am the board but I am shocked that Justin Fuente is a name that isn't even getting mentioned Much when making long list like this one.

With what I am being told about Currie spending $ I absolutely think he is a realistic hire.

I’d be ecstatic if we got Fuente. I just don’t think he would leave VT, even with paying him 5-6 million a year. VT just seems like a perfect fit for him and he’s already finding success.

Volbrian and JAV just said in regards to Gruden 2012 and 2017:

Volbrian:
Much of the OP is accurate. The exact conversations and ultimatums may not be revealed but it can be said that Dave Hart cost Tennessee a chance at hiring Jon Gruden in 2012. Will it be different this time? I would not put money on Gruden being the next coach at Tennessee but I WOULD put money on Tennessee giving him the best offer possible with everyone, boosters and AD personnel, on the same page. They will make him say no in my opinion and if he does, he is probably not coaching college football.

JAV:
The OP is pretty close. I'll just echo what VolBrian said. There will be an offer made that virtually any coach (not named Saban or Belichik) would not be able to say no to. That said, I'll believe that he will come here when the ink is dry. I do know that there are excellent options that will be pursued if Jon doesn't become a reality.

JAV:
I'm not trying to be evasive or vague at all so please don't take it that way. The 2 names that I know will be seriously pursued, I just don't want to say out of respect for both of them and those who are involved. I will say that both of them would bring their own seismic boom as well. Not Chucky big but both are great football coaches.

Reactions: 10 people

Fuente does not enjoy the socializing with boosters that comes with some big jobs. Here in Memphis, it has been said that Blacksburg was what he was looking for because it's not a big town. He is a very bright guy but doesn't have the personality that others do. I think it would be tough to lure him away, especially in that division.

Volbrian and JAV just said in regards to Gruden 2012 and 2017:

Volbrian:
Much of the OP is accurate. The exact conversations and ultimatums may not be revealed but it can be said that Dave Hart cost Tennessee a chance at hiring Jon Gruden in 2012. Will it be different this time? I would not put money on Gruden being the next coach at Tennessee but I WOULD put money on Tennessee giving him the best offer possible with everyone, boosters and AD personnel, on the same page. They will make him say no in my opinion and if he does, he is probably not coaching college football.

JAV:
The OP is pretty close. I'll just echo what VolBrian said. There will be an offer made that virtually any coach (not named Saban or Belichik) would not be able to say no to. That said, I'll believe that he will come here when the ink is dry. I do know that there are excellent options that will be pursued if Jon doesn't become a reality.

JAV:
I'm not trying to be evasive or vague at all so please don't take it that way. The 2 names that I know will be seriously pursued, I just don't want to say out of respect for both of them and those who are involved. I will say that both of them would bring their own seismic boom as well. Not Chucky big but both are great football coaches.

Hmmm...

If not Gruden then I bet one of the two names is this guy...

DLngFChVwAABfdo.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
The 2015 team was very close to being great. I don't know what happened between then and 2016, who was very close to being out of a bowl (App St fumble, UGA hail mary, having a big UF comeback even though it was won comfortably)

Letting Lawson go was the lynchpin I believe. Since then team has been bereft of discipline. Nick mentioned this earlier in the week and that is the only conclusion that makes sense to me. Butch is a players coach, but once he let the upperclassmen have leeway in axeing Lawson things have gone awry. I hate calling out kids, but the OLine is getting manhandled and especially this year we needed them to be a strength. The OLine was out of shape early in the year in 2016 per Griffith's reporting at the time to make the discipline point further. Anyway...just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back