Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 and 6 and win three more is 6-6 Moran. Been wanting to use that term for awhile now.

Lol. Your post basically read...

"Win 3 games and then win 3 more is about all it takes to get to 6 wins."

I was joking at the sheer obviousness of you observation Moran. Lol! :)

My view is that if Pruitt can’t get to 6 wins this fall, I’m concerned. I won’t foam and moan about it on this board, but I will have my doubts.

Dooley and Jones inherited much worse rosters. Dooley won 6 his first year and Jones almost won 6 (and should have except he got bad breaks against Vandy and UGA). That schedule Jones faced his first year was the worst one I can remember. We played seven ranked teams, as I recall. Had Bama and Auburn from the West, Oregon on the road, the best Mizzou team in a generation on the road. The best USC team in their program’s history. Florida on the road. A tough Georgia team that was ranked 6 when we played them.

Pruitt has better talent and a manageable schedule. I trust he can get us at least 6 and probably more.
How wrong can a person be....manageable schedule ? Playing Florida,Georgia,Auburn,Alabama,and South Carolina consecutively is manageable and then leading out with West Virginia ? Where does better talent come from.....the talent on the OL,WR,DL,LB,CB and TE on the current roster is not SEC caliber and about the same or worse than what Dooley inherited.Look at the attrition of the highly rated classes that Jones had ....over 50% are gone.They had 32 on the injured list that did not play against Vandy.How many of those will return healthy and ready to compete on SEC level.Now Pruitt may fill some of these holes with this 2018 Class but playing freshmen against SEC teams and winning is problematic.So it is fantasy land imo to say that this team has the talent and schedule to expect better than a 6-6 record .If Pruitt wins 7 games + he should be declared Coach of the Year in SEC and the nation.

Reactions: 1 person
What we did last year doesn't matter this year. Just because we sucked in 2017 with the previous staff doesn't mean we'll suck in 2018 with the new staff.

I'd argue there is far more of a relationship between 2017 and 2018 than the non relationship you may be suggesting. With that transition there are very clearly going to be pros and cons (talent depletion vs new staff, player turnover vs new recruits, etc). I also live by the saying "under-promise and over-deliver,"

At the end of the day, I am a betting man, and I'm looking at this from a betting perspective and not with my heart. I think the +/- for total wins will be 6.5 and I am not sure which side I'd take.

Reactions: 1 person
My view is that if Pruitt can’t get to 6 wins this fall, I’m concerned. I won’t foam and moan about it on this board, but I will have my doubts.

Dooley and Jones inherited much worse rosters. Dooley won 6 his first year and Jones almost won 6 (and should have except he got bad breaks against Vandy and UGA). That schedule Jones faced his first year was the worst one I can remember. We played seven ranked teams, as I recall. Had Bama and Auburn from the West, Oregon on the road, the best Mizzou team in a generation on the road. The best USC team in their program’s history. Florida on the road. A tough Georgia team that was ranked 6 when we played them.

Pruitt has better talent and a manageable schedule. I trust he can get us at least 6 and probably more.

This is exactly where I am.

Lol. Your post basically read...

"Win 3 games and then win 3 more is about all it takes to get to 6 wins."

I was joking at the sheer obviousness of you observation Moran. Lol! :)

I know but I just had not been able to post Moran in awhile and was having withdrawals.

How wrong can a person be....manageable schedule ? Playing Florida,Georgia,Auburn,Alabama,and South Carolina consecutively is manageable and then leading out with West Virginia ? Where does better talent come from.....the talent on the OL,WR,DL,LB,CB and TE on the current roster is not SEC caliber and about the same or worse than what Dooley inherited.Look at the attrition of the highly rated classes that Jones had ....over 50% are gone.They had 32 on the injured list that did not play against Vandy.How many of those will return healthy and ready to compete on SEC level.Now Pruitt may fill some of these holes with this 2018 Class but playing freshmen against SEC teams and winning is problematic.So it is fantasy land imo to say that this team has the talent and schedule to expect better than a 6-6 record .If Pruitt wins 7 games + he should be declared Coach of the Year in SEC and the nation.

Florida and SC are not good. A great Florida would make that horrible but it’s the first game of those tough ones at home. I stated my concern about USC being at the end but why I think Florida at home in the beginning after two easy games can be a win. We can beat Florida and Kentucky. With three cupcakes you are at 5 wins. After that you just have to win one of Vandy, Mizz, WV, Sc, to get 6. That is my floor if just looking at wins and losses and we should win 7. A three win improvement regardless of how we look getting them will make me feel good about next year. I am going to judge these coaches based on results and that means wins and losses. So far they have done great and I have faith they will get it done. But I am waiting this time to see the results on the one place it matters. That place is the scoreboard.

When I look at our schedule I only see 3 automatic wins: ETSU, UTEP, and Charlotte. Vandy, UK, and Mizzou are games we probably should win, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us drop one of them. I think UF and SCe are toss-up games that could easily go either way, but even as I type that I think that calling SC on the road a toss-up may be overly optimistic. The rest of the games on the schedule look like probable losses to me.

So, 6 or 7 wins and we've basically done what we should have done IMO. Anything more than that, and I'm feeling like we've had a really good season. 5 wins and I'm not happy but not freaking out either.

This just simply isn’t true. The 2018 roster does not match UGA and Alabama - I get that. But it is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. You must have slept through 2010 - 2013. Our roster in 2018 will be better than any of those teams, with the possible exception of 2012.

2017 was bad because of injuries and because the team quit on the coaches. It wasn’t a talent issue.

Reactions: 2 people
When I look at our schedule I only see 3 automatic wins: ETSU, UTEP, and Charlotte. Vandy, UK, and Mizzou are games we probably should win, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us drop one of them. I think UF and SCe are toss-up games that could easily go either way, but even as I type that I think that calling SC on the road a toss-up may be overly optimistic. The rest of the games on the schedule look like probable losses to me.

So, 6 or 7 wins and we've basically done what we should have done IMO. Anything more than that, and I'm feeling like we've had a really good season. 5 wins and I'm not happy but not freaking out either.

5 wins and I’m disappointed, and the clock starts ticking on Pruitt IMO.

It’s Tennessee. We expect to win.

I’m not too worried about this happening though because I trust Pruitt and I’m more optimistic about this roster than others are apparently.

This just simply isn’t true. The 2018 roster does not match UGA and Alabama - I get that. But it is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. You must have slept through 2010 - 2013. Our roster in 2018 will be better than any of those teams, with the possible exception of 2012.

2017 was bad because of injuries and because the team quit on the coaches. It wasn’t a talent issue.

Hope you are right but do not believe it to be so .This Fall will prove it one way or tuther....but my belief is if Pruitt wins 7 + games he is an absolute genius considering the material he inherited.

No I have not slept on any season since 1948 ....several seasons I was far removed from the action having spent 28 years in Army ...but never slept thru a season

If Pruitt can get us to 6 or wins in 2018 I will be impressed. We have question marks at way too many positions, including the 3 most critical - OL, DL, and QB. Plus he has to completely change a broken culture. As a point of reference, Saban had to completely change the culture at Bama and went 6-6 his first season, and weeded out many of Shula's players. And then year 2 Bama was back.

As you said, I want to see us vastly improve on the basics. The wins will follow as Pruitt and his staff bring in better players. I think year 2 is when we really see this team take a big step forward in the wins column.

Exactly

The 2010 through 2012 teams had Bray, Da'Rick, Rivera, and J Hunter. We scored on anybody we wanted not named Alabama. We scored from any part of the field.

I'm sorry but those offenses were just vastly better at QB, OL, and WR than what we're getting ready to field in 2018. This offense is devoid of that but has some good pieces, unfortunately the offensive line will hold us back... a... lot.

I don't want to, but I think we win 7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back