Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
His opinion is you are a moron, wrong, and should stop talking. He can express it. You contradicted yourself.

For the record, he and I share the same opinion

I view that guy as a drunken Doyle Hardgrave from Sling Blade. Someone expresses an opinion different from his and he cannot have a lucid argument without descending into name calling, profanity, and generalized stupidity. I would block him but I find his idiocy somewhat hilarious.

Reactions: 1 person
Did you watch them last year? They were a bad football team.

People just don't want to admit Jim Mac is doing a bang up job in year one.

Malzahn did a bang up job year 1. Brady Hoke was awesome year 1 at Michigan. Lane Kiffin was spectacular year 2 at USC. Chizic had a year for the ages year 2 at Auburn. Muschamp made a Sugar Bowl in year 2...

Extreme success in years 1 and 2 is meaningless and shows very little about the long term success of a coach. Let's get real.

Florida beat us on a fluke 4th and 13 play. The trajectory of their season and ours would be very different if not for that play.

Reactions: 4 people
UF has the same # of 5*'s on their roster as ours but all of ours are freshman and sophmores.

They have 6 evenly divided I think it is 2 seniors, 1 JR, 1 Soph and 2 Freshman.

They also have a couple more 4 *'s on their roster than us and once again their 4*'s are older than ours.

McElwain walked into a great situation. He was an offensive coach with a Elite defense that already knew how to perform.

He had some tools to work with on offense (Robinson, Callaway, RB's, Grier, TE) and really just had to get their confidence up and get them to gel.

The only real miracle I see that they have pulled off is with the OL. Not sure how it hasn't been more of a liability.

To act like we lost to some crappy team in the Swamp is ignorant.

It is frustrating knowing how close we were and that we had every right to win, but it did take two trick plays and a few 4th downs for us to ever get in position to be ahead.

They're not a crappy team now. They were before Jim Mac took over.

Last edited:
Chavis, you gonna stick with this anger/disappointment/skepticism/blame it all on Butch bandwagon til next season? Gonna make for a long miserable off-season, my friend.

Whether I am wrong or not on having a lot of optimism and excitement about the future or not, I will at least get some enjoyment and miss out on some dread during the off-season
I'll be okay. Hope you're right.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the pc, or even read the exact quote, just the rumblings on here. However, this is what I read into it! To be a Bama, LSU type team with the needed depth at EVERY position. A team full of upperclassmen leaders, and plenty of young studs to follow them.
Face it, we should have competed for the SEC this year. 3 games later, I think our coaches have learned just as much as the players what it takes to win. I expect nothing but good things to come from here on out!

Truth.

They're not a crappy team now. They were before Jim Mac took over.

They were a group of very talented players that had exceptionally bad offensive coaching and great defensive coaching.

Now they are a group of very talented players with exceptional offensive coaching and still really good defensive coaching.

I actually think they'll be a bit worse next year and then be really good in 2017 on.

They lose a lot of talent after this year and McElwain's first class leaves a lot to be desired. They'll be really young next year where they aren't at all this year except for a couple of offensive spots.

No doubt Mac changed the team for the good

Did he make a vastly underachieving team reach it's Potenial?

Or

Did he make a really bad team vastly overachieve?

More the first but a little the second as well. I hate UF but the staff there has done a great job rebuilding their Oline, transitioning from one QB to another, and designing schemes that compliment the personnel they place on the field. Defensively we knew they would be good and they've pretty much met expectations every game. Offensively I think they're overachieving though. It's hard not to be impressed with the play calls on crucial downs though looking at it as an objective fan. Annoying looking at it as a Vol fan though because likely UF got a good coach.

Reactions: 2 people
More the first but a little the second as well. I hate UF but the staff there has done a great job rebuilding their Oline, transitioning from one QB to another, and designing schemes that compliment the personnel they place on the field. Defensively we knew they would be good and they've pretty much met expectations every game. Offensively I think they're overachieving though. It's hard not to be impressed with the play calls on crucial downs though looking at it as an objective fan. Annoying looking at it as a Vol fan though because likely UF got a good coach.

I agree it's a little bit of both.

Exactly. I think we have a chance to be a playoff team in 2016 but we'll lose a ton of stars in 2017 and we'll probably be relying on some young guys again. Thus it won't be realistic to expect a national title in 2017.

It might be 2019 or 2020 before it gets to the point that each and every season is a potential national title winning season.

You really think KMack class will have a bad year in 2017 when they are juniors???? We'll be extremely strong on the offensive and defensive lines. Playmakers will be everywhere and the Senior class will be loaded as well. Plus the 2016 class with a year of experience and a few impact 2017 players. Down year really?

They were a group of very talented players that had exceptionally bad offensive coaching and great defensive coaching.

Now they are a group of very talented players with exceptional offensive coaching and still really good defensive coaching.

I actually think they'll be a bit worse next year and then be really good in 2017 on.

They lose a lot of talent after this year and McElwain's first class leaves a lot to be desired. They'll be really young next year where they aren't at all this year except for a couple of offensive spots.
I've said this since they announced his hiring. He is a great coach. No doubt about it. His recruiting is suspect. He actually brought CSU's recruiting down compared to previous coaches there (measured by class rank, because I can't find another objectivish way of ranking it). He sure didn't blow anybody's skirt up last year recruiting at Florida. That will determine his long term success in my opinion. He's a great coach, and if he starts recruiting well he'll be a force to be reckoned with (and he's probably got bag men paying folks because he has never been a great recruiter).

I've said this since they announced his hiring. He is a great coach. No doubt about it. His recruiting is suspect. He actually brought CSU's recruiting down compared to previous coaches there (measured by class rank, because I can't find another objectivish way of ranking it). He sure didn't blow anybody's skirt up last year recruiting at Florida. That will determine his long term success in my opinion. He's a great coach, and if he starts recruiting well he'll be a force to be reckoned with (and he's probably got bag men paying folks because he has never been a great recruiter).

A great coach can win big at florida even if he is an average recruiter.

We would Much much rather they have those skills swapped

Agreed, I would think a 8-4 type season would be expected. Looking at their schedule, I see losses to UT, LSU, Arky, and FSU.

A great coach can win big at florida even if he is an average recruiter.

We would Much much rather they have those skills swapped

I agree on both points! If you look at my post history from that time period you'll see I said lots to that effect.

Stuff is going down in Athens. Word that Pruitt may already be gone. He just tweeted something to the effect of, "When one door closes another opens. Those who are complacent in mediocrity are doomed to stay there."

Hold on to your butts.

If Pruitt is gone, than that ship blows up by the end of the year.

*Mark Richt Plays "White Flag" by Dido*

Stuff is going down in Athens. Word that Pruitt may already be gone. He just tweeted something to the effect of, "When one door closes another opens. Those who are complacent in mediocrity are doomed to stay there."

Hold on to your butts.

xO9hWVX.gif

Hold on to your butts.

Wow that's def a shot at them. Pruitt is a jerk. There's a reason he wore out his FSU welcome in 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back