Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on the verge of something great, but he's probably being truthful on how long he thinks. He's putting together great classes, but he may be thinking that recruiting will be even better once the results start showing. Results in 2015 = A good recruiting class in 2016/17. Those recruits will be JR/SR in year 7.

Maybe he meant build a program that is a national contender each year.

You can win 10+ games and not be fully built by his standards.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know how else to interpret. It screams "I need more time". Maybe I am just looking into it too much but Butch is saying 2019 or 2020 is when our time is? LOL gtfo.
2016 is the year we need a 9 or 10+ season or he will NEVER get it done. we have 17 out of 22 upperclassmen starting next year. If he says some crap about being young again next year I will go off.

Will you ever learn not to take his public comments seriously?

Even if you do, he probably means to be a contender every year. After next year, we will lose some good players. It takes a little more time to reload every year like Bama.

He really needs to chill with them whole lowering expectations thing.

It made sense in 2013 and 2014. This year, it was questionable. Next year the excuses have to stop.

Hate to quote Horse Face, but I loved the quote he made earlier this year. It was something like "You gotta understand something about me, I believe I can win with my pet dog" (meaning he can coach anyone to win games)

Will you ever learn not to take his public comments seriously?

Even if you do, he probably means to be a contender every year. After next year, we will lose some good players. It takes a little more time to reload every year like Bama.

It just makes him sound stupid with that sort of attitude in my opinion

It just makes him look stupid in my opinion

He is a salesman. He doesn't say everything for the benefit of fans.

John Calipari has been saying stupid and untrue things for years. He is the ultimate salesman. But people don't care because he wins.

Yeah, I'd much rather Butch put the world on notice he's gonna curb stomp every team we play, and then, when we lose 2-4 games, everyone can b!tch about him underperforming and not meeting his own expectations.

Reactions: 4 people

John Calipari has been saying stupid and untrue things for years. He is the ultimate salesman. But people don't care because he wins.

That hit the nail on the head. Winning makes everything better

I just don't understand why people get bent out of shape about what he says. Heard the same things for 3 years, and the program has improved for 3 years.

Reactions: 9 people
Florida was loaded on defense when horse face arrived.

How quickly we forget the lack of talent Jones faced when he stepped off that plane.

Maybe he's raising expectations. Maybe 10+ wins a year isn't the definition of "back" to him.

I hope it isn't. I want a coach who is NEVER satisfied.

Reactions: 5 people
Sometimes, when I have a jury trial, I like to tell the jurors in my opening statement about all this amazing evidence I intend to enter, and then, when the other side rests their case, I like to stand up and announce we have no proof.

Just because I like that initial feeling when they think "man, this guy must really know what he's doing."

I can't understand why you would get so hung up on Butch saying things like that, especially at this point in his tenure. I could understand if it rubbed you the wrong way early on, but you know you're going to get measured words from him. Another "Butchism" is that he doesn't ride emotions so he's not going to make emotionally-driven comments.

@Vol_Football: JONES: @KIRK_Era is going to be one of our great leaders down the road. He brings it every day. #OrangeSwarm 🍊🌪

McElwain said his team was a little underwhelming (can't remember the exact quote) before the season to save face in case of a total train wreck.

UF has and will always be loaded with talent.

I know what you all are saying. What I mean is, if we go into say... Virginia Tech next year and blow another game. He can't keep saying this stuff like he has been. The excuse phase of 2013, 2014, and 2015 is over. It won't fly like it did several times this year. He can't say we are young. He can't say we are inexperienced. He can't say we were out talented.

Please quit quoting the GA troll. He is not just some funny negative UT fan. He is a Dawg fan who is trolling this site.

I know what you all are saying. What I mean is, if we go into say... Virginia Tech next year and blow another game. He can't keep saying this stuff like he has been. The excuse phase of 2013, 2014, and 2015 is over. It won't fly like it did several times this year. He can't say we are young. He can't say we are inexperienced. He can't say we were out talented.

Got it. I'm with you in that we don't have any excuses. Now that I'm thinking about it, in spite of all the coach speak, I think Butch has always given a pretty honest assessment on the team. I wonder how that changes next year if at all.

South Carolina is 95th in total defense despite having played Vandy, Mizzou, and UCF. Those schools rank 97th, 125, and 127th in total offense

Remember, Greyson Lambert was 24/25 for 330 yards and 3 td's vs South Carolina.

I would guess he's talking as much about relationships, pipeline, and reputation as he is anything else. Tennessee still hasn't rebuilt it's national brand. It's still got to get recruiters into certain geographical locations. It still has to convince the nation it's a great destination again with players and coaches at every level.

He's got to put back-to-back-to-back-to-back classes to have high caliber guys top to bottom. His first class isn't on par with what he wants every year. Not only is he recruiting players, he's got to make sure quality coaches want to be here. They don't stay forever when you're successful. GA's and QC guys are just as important.

He's talking about all of it. The wins will come while the rest is still building. Calm down. :)

fire up your popcorn gifs

This bit is intriguing considering how Pruitt is considered their recruiting golden boy, " He made it clear he is no fan of defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.

Tarkenton said Pruitt won’t be a head coach at Georgia or anywhere else ever.

“I think he has come over and been very boisterous, been very loud,” Tarkenton said. “I think he’s taken advantage of things over there. He personally has hired four of the assistant coaches over there including the weight guy. I’m not a great fan of Jeremy Pruitt. That has not been a good, workable solution.”

That's just it. He's not saying we won't have good teams. In fact, he's said in the past few weeks we are a good/great "football team" right now, that nobody takes these losses harder than him, and that he expects to win.

He has said since day 1 that he will build a football PROGRAM, not just a winning team.

That's what I took his quote to mean, and I think he's right. He's willing to put in the work and establish something great. He's not a boy band coach that wants a 1 hit wonder song. He wants a damn room full of platinum albums.

Reactions: 9 people
"program" : when ish rolling so tight coach defections, blue chips leaving early, and injuries have the same impact as a gnat on a semi to your playoff run.

see also Bama

see also dynasty

see also Butch gets it

Reactions: 8 people
I just feel like there's a really good chance we're going to blast South Carolina. This makes me nervous because I was nervous about the Kentucky game and we ended up blasting them, but now I'm not nervous about this game, so maybe that means we'll lose. But not being nervous about this game is actually making me nervous, which makes me wonder what that means.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back