Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been shooting and editing video for 25 years and I have no idea what you are talking about. I have shot a lot in log mode and then graded but I dont I see how there would be much difference in shooting 8 bit vs 10 bit. Resolution is a much better indicator of quality.
While 10-bit reaches 1024 colors per channel, 8-bit will only reach 256 per channel. This means that 8-bit files will display 16.7 million colors, while 10-bit will display about 1.07 billion.
Most monitors only display 8bit, but the benefit comes in color grading. Log3 10bit gives a massive advantage in dynamic range and allows much more precise color grading.

Generally, rec. 709 is the color format displayed on most broadcasts. The delog LUT I'm looking for transforms 10bit log3 into rec. 709.

4k TV 8 Bit vs 10 Bit – Gadget Review

Last edited:
Any of you morans know anything about video editing, specifically delogging 10-bit log3 video to rec. 709?

Purchased the Filmic Pro app and an additional "kit" they offer that allows my phone to shoot in 10-bit. They claimed to offer delog LUTS for Android and iOS, but the only 10-bit delog LUT they actually give is for iOS, only 8-bit for Android.

Now I can't seem to find a 10-bit android delog to rec. 709 LUT anywhere. I would make my own, but I'm a dang rookie and don't know how to color grade that accurately.

Well let me just say this upfront, delog isn't a real thing at all. LOG is basically a picture profile that flattens colors so when you color grade you have more dynamic range to mess with. A LUT (look up table) is basically just a pre-created color grade that takes the log footage and expands the levels to another picture profile (like rec. 709).

But short answer to your question is that without knowing how you're editing the footage it's hard to say what LUT you need. The footage has to be in 10-bit though, no lut or app can make 8-bit footage 10-bit.

So to better answer the question I'd need to know the phone so I could verify specs, the "kit" you purchased and then what the NLE (non-linear editor) you use is.

10-bit and 8-bit really isn't a big difference you'll notice without really pushing a color grade...and then depending on how you view that final video you still may not see the difference. YouTube for example has serious compression on every video, so it's damn near impossible to see the difference between a 10-bit and 8-bit video on there. In short 10-bit captures more colors than 8-bit. If you're heavily involved in color grading you can benefit...but considering you're filming on a phone and throwing a LUT on it...it's kind of pointless.

Reactions: 74volz
Well let me just say this upfront, delog isn't a real thing at all. LOG is basically a picture profile that flattens colors so when you color grade you have more dynamic range to mess with. A LUT (look up table) is basically just a pre-created color grade that takes the log footage and expands the levels to another picture profile (like rec. 709).

But short answer to your question is that without knowing how you're editing the footage it's hard to say what LUT you need. The footage has to be in 10-bit though, no lut or app can make 8-bit footage 10-bit.

So to better answer the question I'd need to know the phone so I could verify specs, the "kit" you purchased and then what the NLE (non-linear editor) you use is.

10-bit and 8-bit really isn't a big difference you'll notice without really pushing a color grade...and then depending on how you view that final video you still may not see the difference. YouTube for example has serious compression on every video, so it's damn near impossible to see the difference between a 10-bit and 8-bit video on there. In short 10-bit captures more colors than 8-bit. If you're heavily involved in color grading you can benefit...but considering you're filming on a phone and throwing a LUT on it...it's kind of pointless.

Also once you are done grading it sounds like he wants to push it back down to 8 bit as that is what most monitors can process so it kinda defeats the purpose. Like when I shoot in 5k but it is only shown in 1080p. It gives me latitude to crop in while editing but unless there is an upscaler you aren't really gaining anything.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

LG g8. Filmic pro w/ cinematographer's kit for 10bit. Vegas Pro 20.
Just trying to get it to standard rec 709 and then adjust the grade how I like it.
Screenshot_20220819-101840.pngScreenshot_20220819-101854.pngScreenshot_20220819-101927~2.png

Also once you are done grading it sounds like he wants to push it back down to 8 bit as that is what most monitors can process so it kinda defeats the purpose. Like when I shoot in 5k but it is only shown in 1080p. It gives me latitude to crop in while editing but unless there is an upscaler you aren't really gaining anything.
Yes, shooting in 4k to help with crop. It isn't scaled to 8bit in post. If you have a 10bit tv/monitor, it will playback in 10bit color.

The final day of Tennessee practice viewing has come and gone. And we weren’t allowed to shoot anything but stretching and one individual period. The reason, however, is because they gave us some 1-on-1 viewing periods again. That was cool, but more on that in a moment.

First, let’s cycle through roll call. We did not see running back Lyn-J Dixon nor tight end Jacob Warren today. Wide receiver Jimmy Calloway, defensive tackle DJ Terry and offensive guard Jerome Carvin were not in pads. Wesley Walker looked to be in shells but off to the side in the indoor.

Defensive backs Cheyenne Labruzzza, Christian Harrison and Dee Williams were all in red jerseys. Linebacker Solon Page was in a red jersey. Defensive lineman LaTrell Bumphus was back in shells and with the team today after not practicing Wednesday. Freshman defensive lineman Jayson Jenkins was dressed in shells but off stretching to the side in the indoor. He later joined in for individual work alongside Rodney Garner and the rest of the front-group.

The team did their normal stretch and circuit work in the indoor to kick things off this morning before heading outside to begin individual work. Same thing as always for the defense as the line worked the bags, linebackers repped stance & steps and the defensive backs got some route recognition drills in.

After the five-minute block, the offense and defense came together for some 1-on-1 work in a competition setting. The skill players worked passing into the end zone from the 10-yard line while the linemen got after it in the far end zone. Lots of veterans did not take place in the big-man 1-on-1s.

We’ll start with who looked the best and you really don’t have to think too hard about it. Cedric Tillman ‘Moss’d’ Warren Burrell twice on the far sideline. Both were fade routes and good balls from Hendon Hooker, who gave his big wide receiver a chance to go and make a play.

Jalin Hyatt looked extremely smooth running routes out there today. He won every battle he took part in, besting both Trevon Flowers and Doneiko Slaughter, though he did drop one pass. Still he got by the defensive back with ease each time, showing his ability to be a threat in the red area.

Squirrel White got behind Jaylen McCollough for a touchdown reception. Walker Merrill had a nice catch on the sideline (just out of bounds though) with Dee Williams in coverage. Bru McCoy and Princeton Fant each hauled in touchdown receptions on slant passes. Charlie Browder, who will have to play some this year in our opinion, did not look great running routes. Lots of offensive pass interferences that would have been called.

Defensively, Kamal Hadden made a couple of plays. He batted down a pass intended for Bru McCoy and later picked off Joe Milton on a lob intended for Ramel Keyton. Freshman Jourdan Thomas recorded a PBU – as did Tamarion McDonald covering Fant on a slant.

Looked to me like the offense clearly won the competition, but the defense made some plays. Lots of energy and ‘juice’ (as AP would say) during the block as the Vols are closing out camp here this morning.

Tennessee will enter game week mode starting tomorrow and practice will now be closed to the media from here on out. Josh Heupel will check in with us here in about an hour and that will serve as the final time we speak to him until Ball State game week.

No players will speak today.

- Eric Cain

Yeah, ultimately I see no benefit to pushing the phone to film 10-bit. The main benefit of a Filmic Pro app is basically to control focus and iso on the phone while you shoot.

I randomly decided to look up Harrison Bailey news… is he really running 3rd sting at UNLV?

He's probably going to win the job, but this quote is insane:

Bailey, a former 4-star recruit, said he has benefited from the keen attention Arroyo is paying to the quarterbacks.

“He’s taken me (to) levels I’ve never been to this fall camp,” Bailey said. “Just teaching me things that nobody has ever really told me. It’s the little things with coach Arroyo. I’ve never really had that type of coaching.

“Little things like stepping up in the pocket,” Bailey continued
. “Like when a ball is supposed to be out instead of my old ways of maybe holding onto the ball until I see something or whatnot.”

Did Pruitt/Cheney ever talk to this kid? He didn't know about stepping up in the pocket?

I'm still angry for Wright's sake (setting aside my own) that Wright had his bowl-winning TD stolen from him. It would have been a lifetime memory and a pretty big deal as a freshman. I hope he is going to get his revenge this year. I see him running second after Small in the drill. And Sampson third. Sampson is one of those new guys I can hardly wait to see this year. And I am a huge Small fan. I like the whole room now. And I think people are underestimating our ground game.

Rule Changes

"In an attempt to crack down on teams awarded an injury timeout after a player fakes an injury, schools and conferences will be able to report questionable scenarios to the national coordinator of officials. The coordinator will provide feedback. Any penalties levied would be up to the conference office or school involved."

This will do nothing to curb fake injuries. There has to be an in-game response. So dumb

The DBs have been a known issue. We tried to get some guys in the portal, but it is what it is. We're going to have similar struggles to last year, assuming the DBs don't improve at all.

The good news is that we've gotten deeper and more talented on the DL. Better bodies, fresher bodies, on the DL = better pass rush, which directly benefits the DBs.

The other, bigger factor here is that our offense and our starting QB have had an entire offseason to take their execution to the next level. If the offense can keep the 1st Quarter pedal-to-the-metal pace going into the second quarter at a minimum, then we are 2 wins better. That's without the defense improving at all.

Our staff and players have also had an entire offseason and bowl camp, spring camp, fall camp to know exactly what our issues are.

From a strategy standpoint, we will have to lean on our more experienced safeties, and have them play 2-deep essentially. Don't get beat over the top, which is what ruined us in the bowl game. We know our CBs need time to grow, or will struggle all season. Keep the safeties over the top to limit the huge plays, surrender the run, essentially, and hope we can get aggressive in the red zone. If we can stop the opponent from converting red zone trips into TDs or FGs, or force turnovers in a tighter space, we know our offense can outscore most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back