Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AL.com All-Access: 5 bold SEC football predictions for 2019

“2. Tennessee will be the most-improved team in the conference

The Volunteers obviously have a lot of room to get better in 2019 after going 5-7 a year ago (and losing to Vanderbilt for the third straight year), but they showed signs of a breakthrough in Jeremy Pruitt’s first season. Tennessee scored wins over bowl teams Auburn and Kentucky, and had a near-miss vs. South Carolina. I think the Volunteers take the next step this fall, going 9-3 by sweeping through their non-conference slate of Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga and UAB, then finishing 5-3 in the SEC. Tennessee will beat Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vanderbilt, but lose to Florida, Georgia and Alabama”

I don't know enough about BB recruiting to make a judgment here, but you know the CRB haters are going to be out in full force because this guy is just a 3 star.
He's made a living coaching up 3 star. All of our 2019 commits are well inside the top 175 in the country. We haven't done that in a while. I think Barnes will be just fine.

He's made a living coaching up 3 star. All of our 2019 commits are well inside the top 175 in the country. We haven't done that in a while. I think Barnes will be just fine.
I agree. But there are some folks who are going to state he's already cashing his checks and phoning it in.

Can someone truly answer why we are offering all these very low rated players? I'm not very confident in our recruiting right now. Nearly all the highly rated players we were "in a good spot" for we have lost some traction with. Not saying the class will be bad. Just doesn't seem like it's going to be all that good at the moment.

The Volunteers obviously have a lot of room to get better in 2019 after going 5-7 a year ago (and losing to Vanderbilt for the third straight year), but they showed signs of a breakthrough in Jeremy Pruitt’s first season. Tennessee scored wins over bowl teams Auburn and Kentucky, and had a near-miss vs. South Carolina. I think the Volunteers take the next step this fall, going 9-3 by sweeping through their non-conference slate of Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga and UAB, then finishing 5-3 in the SEC. Tennessee will beat Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vanderbilt, but lose to Florida, Georgia and Alabama”

I bet recruiting picks up if this is the case. :)

source.gif

I hate losing to Florida, but I would be very happy with that result.

Truth be told I don't think the team quit on Pruitt. I think it was legit endurance, for whatever reason the rotation on defense was slim the DL specifically had a very small rotation. And with an offense that never found it's ability to churn out long drives the team (who was still lifting during the season) seemed to fade more than quit.

Dooley & Butch both absolutely lost their teams. I think Pruitt just didn't have enough horses in the stable.

Dont see how butch lost the team. JG was literally on his knees about to cry after losing to USC. Gave UF all they could handle and JK absolutely put the team on his freakin back and gave them the old gator chomp. I saw plenty of emotion and want that season. It was just a bad team.

I hate the excuse that the team gives up and blaming the kids that give their blood and sweat (unless kids are literally throwing in the towel). I dont think any of those kids didnt have the pride to want to avoid such a season.

Sign me up right now.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Can someone truly answer why we are offering all these very low rated players? I'm not very confident in our recruiting right now. Nearly all the highly rated players we were "in a good spot" for we have lost some traction with. Not saying the class will be bad. Just doesn't seem like it's going to be all that good at the moment.

It's May.

Dont see how butch lost the team. JG was literally on his knees about to cry after losing to USC. Gave UF all they could handle and JK absolutely put the team on his freakin back and gave them the old gator chomp. I saw plenty of emotion and want that season. It was just a bad team.

I hate the excuse that the team gives up and blaming the kids that give their blood and sweat (unless kids are literally throwing in the towel). I dont think any of those kids didnt have the pride to want to avoid such a season.

1) It's possible for individuals to care when the bulk of the team doesn't... Notice it was Five-head McGee Jake Bentley that went over to pick JG up off the turf, not anyone in orange. I think towards the end of 2017 it was pretty much down to JG and Trey who actually cared enough to stick around with post-game pressers.

2) I can't remember who said it and when (Kongbo for the Athletic? Someone else down the line?), but there was a blurb that the team quit after that Florida loss. There was enough hope to will them to the GT victory, but 2017 UF was an absolute back-breaker.

I don't like calling players out by name, because they are young adults who have poured more of themselves into the program than anyone here. But I reiterate my point earlier today, it's hugely possible for the team to mail it in while individuals still give their 110%. Do you really think the team had Butch's back down the stretch when everyone in the western hemisphere knew he was a dead man walking? After a lot of them occupied the same locker room as Jalen Hurd and Preston Williams?

Saying 'the team quit' doesn't mean all 11 guys on the field are half-assing it in protest or lethargy. It's as easy as a few guys taking the wrong plays off and allowing the subsequent catastrophic plays dictate their psyche for the rest of the game. Compound that over a few more games, and it goes from three guys taking a few plays off, to four, to five, to getting blown out at home against Vandy.

We're building relationships........with high school coaches. We're getting exposure for their players. They appreciate that. One of these days, and for many that day may never come, they may have someone we really want. We'll be in a position to call in the favor.

1557260758086.jpeg

Which teams would we lose to if we went 7-5?

Bama
UGA
???
???
???

I ain't losing to Pansybilt anymore.
AS long as its not Florida I don't care.

Missouri, BYU and So Car? Beat Florida, Vandy Kentucky and Ole Miss?

Ill take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back