Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you. Sure, Tennessee recruits top 20 classes itself as long as the head coach has a pulse.

But I would argue that all top 20 ranked recruiting class aren't equal. In the same way that all 1st round picks in the NFL draft aren't equal....

The job doesn't end with the ranking. At the end of the day the success or failure comes down to the evaluation and the development of each recruit. That hasn't been done very well around here in awhile.

That being said your prediction is probably fair as things stand. But I think we'll take a big step forward overall as a program next season. I see no reason for 8 or 9 wins not to be on the table for us. Especially if we add somebody like Hurts to the mix.

Agreed that not all classes are the same, even if ranked that way. But coming from 247, a major recruiting ranking service, I don't see how you could read any deeper than that.

I haven't really expressed this too frequently but Hurts, Tee as WR coach, Pittman as OL coach, and recruits like Bogle, Haselwood, and Cain are all messageboard pipe dreams.. fun to think about and hypothesize, sure. But extremely low likelihoods.. I'll eat may fair share of crow if I'm wrong.

I think we can only assume that we'll carry our coaching staff as it stands today, and add Wright, Russell, Harris, and maaayybe To'oto'o, if we impress him enough before his final visit to wherever. Chaney and keeping Fitz are the most significant off-season successes, outside of recruiting the studs we have ready to get onto the gridiron.

That said, I'm looking at the schedule, and you may be onto something.. we could have a marginally successful season if (BIG IF) our OL takes a reasonable step forward.

Georgia State: W

BYU: W (more of a toss-up call)

Chatt: W

at Florida: L (interesting note: I saw someone post they lost 4/5 of their OL starters.. on top of a couple front seven departures.. upsetting UF in 19 would be akin to the 18 Auburn game)

BYE-- love having two of them. Wish it were like this every year.

Georgia: L

Miss State: W (gonna be a toss-up this year)

at Bama: L

South Carolina: W (their schedule is brutal, and there will be Muschamp-hot seat talk)

UAB: W

at Kentucky: W

BYE

at Mizzou: L (calling it just to hedge our bets.. they have Kelly Bryant, and we'll have a brand new starting DL. It'll be much closer than the last two years though)

Vandy: Better be a W.

I mean, maybe we will have an 8-4 year next year.. I'll revise my previous guess to 6-6 MINIMUM. Can't see us losing to GaSt, Chatt, Carolina, UAB, Kentucky, AND Vandy next year.

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
We have 17 - 19 OL returning from last year. With the addition of all the OL guys we signed this year plus the two PWOs we signed. We have about 8 guys from last year who can start right now and atleast two coming in that will fight for starting time immediately.

Again do research. Also, get your 400 post self outta here.

Even tho Richmond was inconsistent as hell. He was our best Lineman last year. Which isn’t saying too much. But he played really well against auburn and Kentucky. It sucks to lose him.

Even tho Richmond was inconsistent as hell. He was our best Lineman last year. Which isn’t saying too much. But he played really well against auburn and Kentucky. It sucks to lose him.

Cost us two games because he doesn’t know how to watch a football two people away from him and because of holding.

Edit: Obviously if the coaches pushed him out the door something was up.

Still sucks to lose him. You could make the case he’s exactly the same player that we are doing backflips over as Aubrey Solomon was at Michigan.

It just makes me think about what could have been, just like the players who chose Clemson over UT. Just like with those guys though, it's time to move on.

It was probably not worth the bad example he was showing to the younger guys. We need everybody all-in.

And track. And volleyball. UT is solid in multiple sports, but traditionally, the marquee sports have been football and BB for men and BB for women. UT was once profitable in all three and can be Top 5 in attendance when we field elite teams. Probably need to invest more in baseball.
Fulmer is investing more in Baseball. They will have a brand new field before the season starts and I believe they will upgrade the stadium and clubhouse. We have a very good baseball coach and an excellent staff. Recruiting is going well in baseball and the wins are not far behind.

Reactions: T Dog and Rishvol
Ranting about depth then doesn’t see why losing your most experienced Olinemen isn’t good for depth. Seems logical😂

Ig he thinks only the starting 5 matter

Reactions: OrangenSC

Not sure I agree with him being the best OL.

I think Jamir Johnson played exceptionally well considering he's 230lbs. I believe he's starting at one of the tackle spots most of '19 (could see DW or WM starting inside - probably DW).

Reactions: seaofORANGE22

I think Jamir Johnson played exceptionally well considering he's 230lbs. I believe he's starting at one of the tackle spots most of '19 (could see DW or WM starting inside - probably DW).
Johnson was worse than Richmond considering many sacks and wiffs came from him

Ranting about depth then doesn’t see why losing your most experienced Olinemen isn’t good for depth. Seems logical😂

Ig he thinks only the starting 5 matter

You are just upset because you had him projected to start at RT. Lol

Never said it wasn’t good for depth but we have so many OL guys it honestly doesn’t matter. He wouldn’t of been starting.

From what i understood he was a slacker and didnt give enough effort. Weed them out. We arent going to be great this year regardless on the OL.

Richmond was a lackadaisical part timer. He played only when he wanted to play.. Last year I saw him give a good effort at times and there were other times when he didn't even bother to come out of his stance and make contact when the ball was snapped.

ea0afb13-63b7-4967-9015-14ca4f5b9503-KNS-vols_vs_kentucky_12.JPG

The kid has ability. He just needs an attitude adjustment.

You are just upset because you had him projected to start at RT. Lol

Never said it wasn’t good for depth but we have so many OL guys it honestly doesn’t matter. He wouldn’t of been starting.
Why would that make me mad? 😂 Can you show me where I’ve ever said Richmond would start? Thanks.
The only thing I’ve ever said is I expect him to Stay or go pro, not transfer.

Uh oh, someone was ranting about depth and thinks you can just plug anyone in and be fine....

Yea I could definitely see JJ moving outside. He’s quick, but iirc the coaches said they like him inside.

Reactions: volsvols15
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back