Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah end of the day Kirby has at least been able to deal with motivating those diva 5 stars to pull the same direction and he's been humble enough to pull in staff that aren't just mouthpieces for him.

And regardless of what the outside noise is around his inability to manage his QB talent he looks like he got it right since they won and Stetson's play was a part in doing it.

I just don't like dealing in "ifs" cause by the time Heupel gets equal talent I could be in the ground.

I think Heupel is a better coach, but Kirby is doing something right. If you don't want to give him credit that's fine, but it's one man's opinion...that will regardless of what you think be shared by very few.
F*** Kirby.

If anybody in knox media knows anything, it would be him. He doesn’t just make stuff up. He has a lot of connections
I don’t remember Swain always being positive.
Both true, but he has said several times that he won’t talk down on his university until he has to. He knew about all the Pruitt stuff but wouldn’t cover it until news broke to protect UT. He admitted as much on one of his shows in December of 2020. Can’t remember the exact show, though.

I just don't like dealing in "ifs" cause by the time Heupel gets equal talent I could be in the ground.

I think Heupel is a better coach, but Kirby is doing something right. If you don't want to give him credit that's fine, but it's one man's opinion...that will regardless of what you think be shared by very few.
How many years has Kirby been at UGA now?

Reactions: RiseToTheTop
Lol. Your best friend steals your wife and your like, "I'm an adult, I harbor no ill feelings toward you, best of luck to the both of you. Let's grab coffee some time. Cheers."

That's not prideful.

There's a word for that but won't use it here.

That's also not what happened here. Could you be any more dramatic?

hes been there almost 7 yrs.

heupel has been around exactly 1 yr lol

Not fair to Heupel right now. Like what are you even talking about?

Reactions: NMVol
So, in reality, unless a surprise happens, we have one legit shot at a high school prospect, and that's the Mitchell kid choosing between us and Florida.

So the only way to add to our class is through the portal. And per AP last night, we aren't recruiting anyone in the portal.

they said we arent recruiting any portal players?

they said we arent recruiting any portal players?
Yes. They aren't recruiting anyone currently in the portal. That's the confusing thing to me about this staff. Sure, you can go crazy and add a bunch of bodies that don't help you. Nobody wants that. SC has done some of that, but they have also added some quality players that will improve their team next year. We saw how MSU improved their team this year through the portal.

We have holes all over this roster. Even if there isn't a 5 star caliber player in the portal, there has to be a bunch of dudes in there better than what we have at LB and in the secondary. Our staff chose not to pursue Zach Evans, we missed on Gibbs and Verse, and apparently that Wake Forest RB who committed to SC was a miss also. and we have added 2 quality pieces. We need a lot more.

Maybe they want to see who is in there after spring practice. But in my mind, the sooner the better since they'd be able to go through spring

Another "can't win the big one" narrative busted last night. Kirby Dumb, 40 years, yada, yada, yada.

There are only 2 teams in the country who can line up with overall team talent like that. Bama was playing short handed at key positions as McGill pointed out. Georgia won. With former walk-on Stetson Bennett at QB. No 5 star ranking at the most key position on the field.

There are many ways to get to the top. Some of it involves good fortune. Some of it involves trusting guys who don't look good on paper or in practice to make plays.

We will not be doing it by out-talenting UGA and Bama anytime soon or possibly ever. We know Heup can out scheme teams on O, including both Bama and UGA, and score a lot of points in short bursts of time. The playbook was not even halfway open this past season. We know Clemson beat Bama twice for the NC with less overall team talent and a stud at QB. For star watchers that is not disputable - look at the class rankings. For all the rest of us, we saw better scheming on D, discipline and intensity pushing them over the top. Those are keys to Venables type D's. Clemson was the program that forced Saban to rethink his approach and offensive philosophies. Venables had just enough to keep them in games against elite teams while the O scored a lot of points.

So, how do we counter that with our D, knowing that like Clemson was back then, we are not going to get the top three recruiting class every year? That question will be answered over the next couple of years IMO. It starts with the DC - is Banks the DC who can get it done? Based on PSU D's, his schemes will work. Will he and his staff be able to recruit at a high enough level and develop the secondary? We know Garner can handle the front end - it's the back end I am most concerned about. Bama showed last night that inexperience and/or poor technique can cause you to lose football games even against the Stetson Bennett's of the world. Next season will tell us a lot. Can the D take a major step forward? What say you, Willie and Tim?

With the current secondary roster, we won't even come close--- there must be upgrades in the secondary and LB positions to keep us in games and hold better teams in check... but as of today, it doesn't look like we are actively pursuing the portal in those position groups, so I guess we will see. Swain said we were in talks with some kids not in the portal yet, so lets hope and pray it is on the defensive side of the ball where we need all the help we can get.

Another thing we hear every year. “Swain said this, or AP said that about players/recruits” and then we end up with some guy from San Diego Western Bible College later.
If he plays like AK or Cordarrelle idc what little school or JUCO he comes from lol

I get what you're saying though, honestly though being optimist beats being a pessimist for 90% of the time (the other 10% is the negative results that are more disappointing for sun-shine pumpers like me)

Yes. They aren't recruiting anyone currently in the portal. That's the confusing thing to me about this staff. Sure, you can go crazy and add a bunch of bodies that don't help you. Nobody wants that. SC has done some of that, but they have also added some quality players that will improve their team next year. We saw how MSU improved their team this year through the portal.

We have holes all over this roster. Even if there isn't a 5 star caliber player in the portal, there has to be a bunch of dudes in there better than what we have at LB and in the secondary. Our staff chose not to pursue Zach Evans, we missed on Gibbs and Verse, and apparently that Wake Forest RB who committed to SC was a miss also. and we have added 2 quality pieces. We need a lot more.

Maybe they want to see who is in there after spring practice. But in my mind, the sooner the better since they'd be able to go through spring

thanks

yeh i dont see how they watched that secondary, pass rush and LB play this yr and still have no real urgency to address it. Hopefully it'll play out and we pickup a few guys. Need it bad for sure.

Reactions: walkenvol
hes been there almost 7 yrs.

heupel has been around exactly 1 yr lol

Not fair to Heupel right now. Like what are you even talking about?

Nothing about that statement has anything to do with Heupel though....as McGill has pointed out the buy-in from Georgia is there and unmatched. If we're all objective here, removing the orange tinted glasses when can you remember the last time any UT coach stacking 6+ years of top 10 classes? We need more than just Heupel and staff to be killing it to get to this level of talent is my point and it's the same thing McGill is saying as well I think. Until everyone involved (boosters, admin, coaches, staff, etc.) are all at the same level as folks in Bama or Georgia we're not going to have equal talent.

Where Kirby's classes have ended up:
2022 - 3rd
2021 - 4th
2020 - 1st
2019 - 2nd
2018 - 1st
2017 - 3rd
2016 - 6th

The 3 previous classes Kirby inherited:
2015 - 6th
2014 - 8th
2013 - 12th

Missing on Verse was a big L but I got roasted for stating the obvious. We are gonna need the existing players on DL to step up big time. Not as worried about LB or secondary. It all starts upfront and it’s been pretty bad for several years now.
Last nights game is a great example. NEED A PASS RUSH!!!

Do you understand that Kurby isn't a "great recruiter"? He has a machine buying players for him just like Saban has for the last fifteen years.

I am old now, and it has taken a long time for me to understand this fact.."Great recruiters" are a myth, and always have been. It is all about who has the best, most efficient machine behind them.

Thanks-- good post--- the sooner folks understand this, the better--- and now with unlimited NIL money, it will be which school's boosters want to pay the most for a national championship by buying up all the players they want.

Missing on Verse was a big L but I got roasted for stating the obvious. We are gonna need the existing players on DL to step up big time. Not as worried about LB or secondary. It all starts upfront and it’s been pretty bad for several years now.
If we have hit on Pearce and Josephs, and land Herring in this class, our pass rush should be immensely better in the coming years. We need to be patient while those players turn into juniors and seniors. That defense for GA was all upperclassmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back