Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You write up a contract that benefits you and give him a lot of money. Make sure his buyout for leaving is ENORMOUS!!

Also, I feel we should spam the hell outta state run just to hear them squirm. They're talking coaching hires. We all just need to call in a suggest Kiffin to hear Rice and Ainge get all in their feelings..
They both like Kiffin as an option.

I have a conspiracy theory on how the NCAA punishment on UT vs Pruitt may play out.

We think the NCAA will go easy on us since we fell on our own sword. When's the last time the NCAA did what you thought they would do?

We also know how close Sabin and NCAA chair Mark Emmert are... and Pruitt is Sabin's boy and Sabin wants Pruitt to be his DC again ASAP.

From listening to Plowman's PC, It doesn't sound like the investigation found direct evidence of Pruitt's knowledge of the violations. (we know he knew). Mark Emmert could spin the "no evidence" to no "show cause" for Pruitt while at the same time slam TN with more penalties similar to what USC received (30+ schollys lost over a few years and multiple years of no bowl).

It wouldn't surprise me if this is how it plays out. Sabin gets what he wants especially when the NCAA gets involved.

This is a possibility, unfortunately.

But the way I see it, the NCAA has to tread carefully here. This a high profile case that a lot of other schools will be paying attention to. The Power 5 schools are already talking about ditching the NCAA for the big sports. If they hammer a school that self-reported to the extent we did, then let the head coach skate, not only will schools realize there’s no value in self-reporting, they’ll also have to wonder for who’s interest the NCAA is really working.

I think you just made my point. It seems all our targets will be there next year. Maybe new targets emerge when the NCAA brings down their punishments and they're not as bad as expected. Not to mention it gives you a full year to work on a replacement. I don't hate the idea. I would rather wait and make the right hire than to find ourselves the same spot in 3-4 years.

Why would you waste a year of recruiting and development by the eventual candidates when they are all ready to be had right now? These people are trusted to make big decisions. They've known it's coming for a while. Yes, it might not be a disaster, but that's not what I want to hang my hat on. Make a decision and get the ball rolling.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
The mantra that we can’t hire any of the winning coaches cuz “red flags” is akin to JP repeatedly telling us JG gave us the best chance to win. Every other SEC school including those with sanctions looming has no fear of hiring winners.... Calipari, Pearl, Kiffin, and on and on all had issues as have many before them and a ton of those guys walked into jobs where the prior coaching staff had committed violations. Kiffin committed them here and took over a hammered USC. We are the only school AP this rule applies too and only because we are dumb enough to buy the logic. Truth is NCAA comes in rules on something then goes on about their business. They don’t care who you hire as long as that person isn’t under a current show cause.

I think it's pretty obvious we will be put on probation of some sort. We will self impose a bowl ban, which doesn't matter anyway because we don't make important bowl games.

The real issue is scholarship limitations. If that's on the table, and I'm sure it is, any coach who can wait a year will wait on another job.

UT would have self-imposed the bowl ban and minimal scholarship reductions. I can see the NCAA wanting to up that somewhat. There's just too much there-- and the NCAA knows when the violations permeate throughout the program, there's more out there. Falling on the sword doesn't always help. I think any coach not willing to ride out a mess and rebuild a roster that could get worse will consider the risk/reward at UT right now.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I just don’t think that’s a winning formula. Throw a match on the 2021 class, not 2022. I guess it depends on what you see as the tiers. I’d rather Chadwell or Marrone get to work right now than wait a year for Neal Brown to.

It’s just hard for me to see interest from quality candidates in late 2021 being any stronger. And unless we hire a coach who isn’t sitting, well have another very short ESD to work with.
Why the 21 class? Its in the books. I guess you have to determine what's tier 1 vs tier 2. I think realistic and by realistic I mean would come here, tier 1 coaches are LK and HF. Both will be there next year. Kitten will have given OM 2 years making it easier to leave. Freeze would be one more year removed from his shenanigans. Other hot, young coaches will emerge. Chadwell will have another year under his belt. I think in a year the job would be more attractive.

Everything that I have read about Tom Herman leads me to believe he would not be a good fit here. It sounds like from the start in Austin, he had a massive ego problem, did not practice what he preached to his team, and treated players poorly. You hear these things about coaches after they are fired so I can take that with a grain of salt, but I don't think he is what we need for coming in and trying to fix this situation. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Why would you waste a year of recruiting and development by the eventual candidates when they are all ready to be had right now? These people are trusted to make big decisions. They've known it's coming for a while. Yes, it might not be a disaster, but that's not what I want to hang my hat on. Make a decision and get the ball rolling.
Because most likely we'll be here again in 3-4 years. All the coaches mentioned that are realistic come at a huge risk. This is almost identical as when Kif left the last time. We hurried and made a decision because no one wanted to the job. NCAA sanctions were looming then too. If we could find the right guy now, id say do it. Otherwise wait until you get it right.

It sacrifices the 22 class for no reason though
I would gladly sacrifice a single recruiting class to make the absolute right hires for both AD and HC. That’s IF they make the right hire, outside of their “good ole boy” system. Recruits are crap shoots that could pan out or not and with the new transfer portal in the pipeline you’re not guaranteed any length of stay with them. If Tennessee doesn’t get the next hire right they fade into the oblivion for the next decade plus. Barring the sanctions, the hire has to be absolutely proven. 98% of the names suggested here over the last few months I would not consider to be the “IT” hire UT needs to make for longevity sake. But we also will probably not have the luxury of being so selective with the impending sanctions.

In the words of Dooley... #opportunityisnowhere

Reactions: 05_never_again
Everything that I have read about Tom Herman leads me to believe he would not be a good fit here. It sounds like from the start in Austin, he had a massive ego problem, did not practice what he preached to his team, and treated players poorly. You hear these things about coaches after they are fired so I can take that with a grain of salt, but I don't think he is what we need for coming in and trying to fix this situation. Just my opinion.
Some of the same issues in dealing with staff, boosters and admin as Pruitt from what I hear. Not the right way to go IMO.

Reactions: give_him 6
I would gladly sacrifice a single recruiting class to make the absolute right hires for both AD and HC. That’s IF they make the right hire, outside of their “good ole boy” system. Recruits are crap shoots that could pan out or not and with the new transfer portal in the pipeline you’re not guaranteed any length of stay with them. If Tennessee doesn’t get the next hire right they fade into the oblivion for the next decade plus. Barring the sanctions, the hire has to be absolutely proven. 98% of the names suggested here over the last few months I would not consider to be the “IT” hire UT needs to make for longevity sake. But we also will probably not have the luxury of being so selective with the impending sanctions.

In the words of Dooley... #opportunityisnowhere
But if you're going to hire someone from the lists provided anyway, why waste the class? Just make the hire now.

If next year includes a different candidate then fine but who? I think making that decision without a target would be foolish.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back