Recruiting Football Talk VII

Same here in Orlando area about an hour and half away south from Gainesville. Not even raining or cloudy here. Beautiful night.
All the times I’ve been to Orlando and I never realized how close it was to gainesville. ☹️

All the missed opportunities for mayhem, mischief and gator terrorizing makes me sad. I feel like a failure. 😞

While the turf was the likely factor in the glioblastoma out, one has to ask “what if it wasn’t”? Multiple teams had artificial turf. Was the Phillies turf different from others? Did players on other teams suffer the same fate? Those answers I don’t know.

Three of the affected players were pitchers and two were catchers. Only Vukovich was neither. He was a utility infielder…but later a manager/coach. What IF the cause was a foreign substance used by some of the pitchers on the team? Just a thought.

As stated, the turf was the likely cause…but inquiring minds……

Regardless, what a strange set of circumstances.

Edit: Veterans Stadium was home to the Phillies from 1971 - 2003 and home to the Eagles from 1971 - 2002. Did any Eagles players develop glioblastoma? Just curious.
No Eagles players developed it but they were exposed less than baseball players. I wonder what caused it.

They worked on an unruly 8 or 9 year old. My grandmother would wait until me and my brothers and sisters came on the front porch when it became dark, give us a wack with those hot wheels things as we went past her. We totally deserved it. She was smart, she didn’t chase after us, she waited patiently, fanning herself, while waiting for us to file in front of her. That was before air conditioning younguns.
Hot Wheels tracks were not invented before air conditioning. 🤔

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
lol could have fooled me! He wore my butt out but I was a very dedicated offender.

I'm a very nice and law-abiding citizen now though.
My Mother realized that spanking didn’t work on me. Of course she cried more than I did when she spanked me. She was such a gentle soul.

I’m not sure if she ever realized that when she told me that she was disappointed in me that hurt way more than anything else punishment wise.

Did I then walk the straight and narrow? Nope, typical dumbass teenage boy. However, I became much better at not getting caught. 😳

Attack of the clones was so a snoozer..more of a love story in my opinion.only thing I could see making it worth it was the cast.a lot of legends in that movie at a earlier part in their careers.so I agree in that sense…but come on “little ani”? In phantom menace? And Darth How could you not?..I was a young kid when that came out.it was the first Star Wars movie I’d ever seen at that time so between the two..I’ll give the worst Star Wars movie to attack of the clones.. wonder what

@DarthVol1 opinion is on it🤔
My personal rank is:
Empire Strikes Back
New Hope
Revenge of The Sith
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Attack of The Clones
Phantom Menace

The rest, you can pretty much throw in a pile. I did like the Solo movie pretty well. Disney has screwed everything up with all of these disjointed series ( Mando, Ahsoka, etc). Just producing stuff to produce it.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to never have a problem with alcohol, but I definitely went overboard way too many times during my late teens and early 20s. Wish I had never touched the stuff.

As I’ve gotten older and now have kids of my own, the funny memories and stories from college that center around booze and being drunk seem a lot less funny.
One of my favorite stories about college.
About 10-12 of us got drunk at the Tap Room (on the strip). We were trying to walk back to our frat house, but a couple guys were too drunk to walk up the hill. There was a little park about 1/3 of the way back . One of the really drunk guys said that he was going to sleep it off in the park.
The rest of us decided to stay there too. Couldn’t just leave him there and definitely too drunk to carry him.
We all laid down around the park. On the ground, a picnic table and park benches. We were all passed out/sleeping within minutes.
Shortly thereafter, a group of girls came walking through the park. One of them noticed us, must have thought we were dead and screamed.
At her bloodcurdling scream, we all sat up. Then every other girl screamed too and they ran back towards the Strip.

Did I mention that Dawn of the Dead was rereleased in one of the locale late night movie theaters? They probably thought we were zombies instead of drunks! 😂

We probably did look like zombies as we then staggered back home. 😎

My personal rank is:
Empire Strikes Back
New Hope
Revenge of The Sith
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Attack of The Clones
Phantom Menace

The rest, you can pretty much throw in a pile. I did like the Solo movie pretty well. Disney has screwed everything up with all of these disjointed series ( Mando, Ashoka, etc). Just producing stuff to produce it.
I like Solo too. I thought they might do a 2nd one based on the ending, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I have no interest in The Acolyte. I've never missed anything Star Wars related, but this will be the first.

I like Solo too. I thought they might do a 2nd one based on the ending, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I have no interest in The Acolyte. I've never missed anything Star Wars related, but this will be the first.
Supposedly, there is a Solo 2 being written right now. I watch whatever they produce, sigh, as I am afraid I might miss something. Then i can gripe about it.😡

May 5, 1904
On May 5, 1904, 37-year-old Cy Young pitches the first perfect game in modern Major League Baseball history as the Boston Americans defeat the Philadelphia Athletics, 3-0. Young strikes out eight of the 27 batters he faces and benefits from excellent defense in a game that is completed in only 83 minutes. "Unparalleled feat,” a newspaper calls the achievement. A perfect game is achieved when a pitcher retires all the batters he faces in order, with no one reaching base.

Two other pitchers—Lee Richmond and John Ward—recorded perfect games in 1880, but the rules then were significantly different from modern baseball rules, which were established in 1893. Before the modern rules, it took eight balls to walk a batter and the distance from the pitcher's mound to home plate was 45 feet. (The distance is 60 feet, 6 inches today.)

Young's perfect game was part of his then-record 45-inning scoreless streak.

To throw Young off his rhythm, volatile Athletics pitcher Rube Waddell, a future Hall of Famer, ran his mouth to Young before and during the game. According to legend, when Young struck out Waddell to end the game, he yelled, “How do you like that, you hayseed?”

The first modern perfect game also apparently began one of baseball’s more notable superstitions: avoiding a pitcher throwing a perfect game or no-hitter in the dugout. Around the sixth inning, realizing that Young was on the verge of history, his teammates stopped talking to him to prevent the future Hall of Famer from losing focus.

View attachment 638805
511 wins. Never will be approached. My top five pitchers of all time does not include him, though.

1. Walter Johnson
2. Christy Matthewson
3. Greg Maddux
4. Tom Seaver
5. Clayton Kershaw

No Clemens because he juiced.

Let the Debate.

511 wins. Never will be approached. My top five pitchers of all time does not include him, though.

1. Walter Johnson
2. Christy Matthewson
3. Greg Maddux
4. Tom Seaver
5. Clayton Kershaw

No Clemens because he juiced.

Let the Debate.
No Sany Koufax, you disappointed me severely.

Reactions: rikberry31

VN Store

Back