Recruiting Football Talk VII

I generally agree. The only catch is if you have a close friend on another team and you two scheme together to change outcomes and win money.

Is it just really that hard to not bet on the sport you play? Like, bet on any other sport.
What i find pretty stupid is these guys are betting to win $20k. They're risking their career for what a lot of them make in a few days.

Turned Down GIF - 3rd Rock From The Sun John Lithgow Dick Solomon -  Discover & Share GIFs

NFL is a 53 man roster with a practice squad of up to 16. Google tells me the average NFL salary was $2.8 mil last year.
I thought 52 sounded weird when I wrote it but didn't go verify. Thanks.

I didn't include the practice squad in roster size. That may be included in the NFL salary cap but it's usually less than 300-400k/year for an NFL team so easier to talk from active roster standpoint. PL teams also have practice squad players too but in different context, they are usually academy players. Still get paid but a lot less.

As for the 2.8M number, I saw that too but I also saw the below chart for 2020 and my thought here is that the average salary wouldn't go backwards with the cap increasing. Who knows though, maybe it just consistently hovers around $3M.

Another difference in salary reporting is European soccer have much less player bonus incentives. Most teams have basic incentives for players based on team objectives, but it's more rare to see a lot of player incentives in contracts. I think the numbers you see online for NFL are base and may have signing bonus included but idk if player incentives are included in those. So numbers may vary by different reporting based on those.

1713447668949.jpeg

Last edited:
What i find pretty stupid is these guys are betting to win $20k. They're risking their career for what a lot of them make in a few days.
What is really sad is that what a lot of these guys are betting could provide clean drinking water and education for entire communities in some areas of the world for at least a year or more.

What is the random restaurant food you'd eat at least occasionally for which people would judge you?

I think mine would be a bean burrito from Taco Bell. It takes me back to my college days and being broke. They were 39 cents, I think then. I might eat them once a year now, and they are not always great, but they also smack in a weird way. With hot sauce of course. Likely after a night of drinking.

I generally agree. The only catch is if you have a close friend on another team and you two scheme together to change outcomes and win money.

Is it just really that hard to not bet on the sport you play? Like, bet on any other sport.
You know the sport you play better than any other. But I get that it's impossible for a league to police every bet to make sure nothing bad is happening, so they need a blanket policy.

What is the random restaurant food you'd eat at least occasionally for which people would judge you?

I think mine would be a bean burrito from Taco Bell. It takes me back to my college days and being broke. They were 39 cents, I think then. I might eat them once a year now, and they are not always great, but they also smack in a weird way. With hot sauce of course. Likely after a night of drinking.
Bloomin Onion

Baseball lost out to football and basketball because it's simply not as entertaining.

I dont see how baseball is all that complex either? It's slow moving, doesn't display near the athleticism of the other too, isn't as complex as football and is on par with basketball for complexity.

You can leave a baseball game for an hour and the score stays the same. Has nothing to do with people being less educated. It's been surpassed for good reason.
I have coached both baseball and football for years and love both dearly. I have witnessed first hand the dying of baseball. In football you can take an athlete with no experience and find somewhere to plug them in and they can have success. You can watch football and be entertained with little or no understanding of the game (there are many object lessons on VN that will attest to that fact). That is not true of baseball.
I can't tell you how many times, in baseball, a player who hasn't played for a while comes out and they look foolish. Unless the competition is very low, but they ain't gonna cut it on a state caliber or highly competitive team, there is too much to know. There is nowhere to hide in baseball, everyone comes to bat. Experience and knowledge of the game is massively important.
I submit Michael Jordan as exhibit #1. One of the greatest athletes to ever walk the planet and arguably the best basketball player of all time (morans please don't go there). He sucked in his foray into professional baseball. I mean as an old man I could have hit better than him in AA.
Baseball can make athletes look like idiots

I wasn't insulting anyone. I was making a general statement about society, sorry that was not clear. Everyone has personal preferences and I understand baseball isn't for everyone nor is football (ask my momma). I was just saying that society in general has become too dumb and desensitized for baseball. If you don't think society has gotten a lot dumber, I will die on that hill, average people of a hundred years ago would be considered genius today.
And I doubt you could find a history book that I would find boring, I am usually reading three books (depending on what room I am in) at a time and currently one is the six volume history of WWII by Winston Churchill. I am a math/science man by trade but history is one of my loves.
I would challenge the assertion that the average person 100 years ago would be a "genius" today. Firstly, you have no sources to back that up. Secondly, it's false.

Let me introduce to you the "Flynn Effect."

James Flynn invented the standardized IQ tests 100 years ago. Researchers have been testing people all over the world since. What they've documented is that every generation worldwide has scored higher on average than the generation before it. Today's average person would be considered a genius 100 years ago... literally. The worldwide IQ is more than 30 points higher today, on average, than it was in 1920.

The caveat is that since 1975, the developed world (US, Europe, and some Asian countries) has slowed down, and recently some countries have declined slightly in average IQ. Norway started leveling off in the late 60s with ups and downs from year to year. American tests dropped for this first time around 2005, but only a fraction of a point. But still LEAGUES above 100 years ago. Meanwhile, developing countries' IQs are still climbing at a rapid rate today due to technological advancements, improved nutrition, better educational opportunities etc.

People interest or disinterest in baseball has nothing to do with intelligence. You could argue it has to do with attention span, something that is getting shorter on average for Americans due to modern technology and social media. Or you could also argue it's because the horrible umping, unwritten "rules," and crusade against anything fun among other things. You could say the game isn't evolving with the interests and entertainment preferences of modern America at a rapid enough pace. Still wildly popular, so I don't see it getting to the point of NASCAR, but something has to change.

I posted that NIL should be limited/capped on what each player can make….this is why. But I guess if we cap NIL, then we just go back to the old days where people are paying under the table…even though that’s still a thing.

Sports just suck, lol

Per @trillydonovan’s Discord: Jerry Jones (Arkansas booster) is willing to pay freshmen twice as much as they would get at Kentucky.

Reactions: screenthis
I have coached both baseball and football for years and love both dearly. I have witnessed first hand the dying of baseball. In football you can take an athlete with no experience and find somewhere to plug them in and they can have success. You can watch football and be entertained with little or no understanding of the game (there are many object lessons on VN that will attest to that fact). That is not true of baseball.
I can't tell you how many times, in baseball, a player who hasn't played for a while comes out and they look foolish. Unless the competition is very low, but they ain't gonna cut it on a state caliber or highly competitive team, there is too much to know. There is nowhere to hide in baseball, everyone comes to bat. Experience and knowledge of the game is massively important.
I submit Michael Jordan as exhibit #1. One of the greatest athletes to ever walk the planet and arguably the best basketball player of all time (morans please don't go there). He sucked in his foray into professional baseball. I mean as an old man I could have hit better than him in AA.
Baseball can make athletes look like idiots
Intelligence is not what makes a great hitter. There are a lot of DUMB baseball players who can hit. It's just experience. You put in the reps and have the athleticism, you end up being good at it. Jordan would have been an MLB hall of famer if he'd been putting in the reps for baseball since he was 5 instead of using all his reps on basketball.

And no, at any decent level, you cannot put in a random athlete for football and expect them to be good. There's a LOT more knowledge needed to be good at football than baseball. Schemes and positions and assignments and plays and knowing what your teammates are doing simultaneously and reacting to all those variables from the defense as well.

You're pumping up baseball to be much more than it is. It requires more time and more reps to dial in hitting than some specific skills in other sports, sure, but beyond pitch selection it's not all that complicated or complex, and there's sooo much time for the manager to handle most of the complexity (shifts, pitch selection, etc...) that players don't really need to be all that smart.

Edit, by intelligence I mean knowledge of the game, not general intelligence.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back