Recruiting Football Talk VII

If you were going to show someone the Star Wars films, who had never seen them, and try and present a coherent story arc - In what order would you show them?

Lay the foundation. Establish Luke, Leia, Han, and Vader’s identity:

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back

Flashback to the Anakin arc:

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Segue back:

Rogue One

Luke’s ascendency, Anakin fulfills the prophecy:

Return of the Jedi

Han’s arc, Luke’s transfer:

Solo
The Force Awakens

Then tell them it’s over lol

If you were going to show someone the Star Wars films, who had never seen them, and try and present a coherent story arc - In what order would you show them?

Lay the foundation. Establish Luke, Leia, Han, and Vader’s identity:

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back

Flashback to the Anakin arc:

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Segue back:

Rogue One

Luke’s ascendency, Anakin fulfills the prophecy:

Return of the Jedi

Han’s arc, Luke’s transfer:

Solo
The Force Awakens

Then tell them it’s over lol
I did this with a gf who vaguely knew of Star Wars and was aware of the Vader plot twist (spoiler alert lol). We watched them in movie order including watching the Clone Wars show(s) in between AotC and RotS and Rogue One before ANH. This way it shows Anakin's innocence, fall, and eventual redemption in one coherent arc. It was very satisfying to watch her reactions to the saga in this order, especially the payoff in the 3rd act of RotJ.

I refused to allow the sequels to be watched lmao. They significantly diminish both the stories told in the both the Prequel and Classic trilogies imo.

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are by far and away the worst.

Attack of the clones was so a snoozer..more of a love story in my opinion.only thing I could see making it worth it was the cast.a lot of legends in that movie at a earlier part in their careers.so I agree in that sense…but come on “little ani”? In phantom menace? And Darth How could you not?..I was a young kid when that came out.it was the first Star Wars movie I’d ever seen at that time so between the two..I’ll give the worst Star Wars movie to attack of the clones.. wonder what

@DarthVol1 opinion is on it🤔

Last edited:
I did this with a gf who vaguely knew of Star Wars and was aware of the Vader plot twist (spoiler alert lol). We watched them in movie order including watching the Clone Wars show(s) in between AotC and RotS and Rogue One before ANH. This way it shows Anakin's innocence, fall, and eventual redemption in one coherent arc. It was very satisfying to watch her reactions to the saga in this order, especially the payoff in the 3rd act of RotJ.

I refused to allow the sequels to be watched lmao. They significantly diminish both the stories told in the both the Prequel and Classic trilogies imo.
Interesting take. I guess the only downside is knowing Vader’s identity prior to the big reveal in Empire.

I think The Force Awakens is Ok, and a fine conclusion - especially as a conclusion to Han’s arc.

Interesting take. I guess the only downside is knowing Vader’s identity prior to the big reveal in Empire.

I think The Force Awakens is Ok, and a fine conclusion - especially as a conclusion to Han’s arc.
Yeah, at this point in my experience, it's just sort of expected that everyone at least vaguely knows the twist because the "No, I am your father" line is just such a part of the pop culture lexicon. Keeping the focus squarely on Anakin's entire arc and filling out his character in the prequels pays off in a HUGE way when he is eventually redeemed. That is why this is my preferred order.

I liked TFA when it came out but (imo) the TLJ and TRoS trash fires retroactively make it worse. I can never, ever forgive the sequels for never having the Big 3 onscreen together at the same time. Just the easiest missed layup of all time. I also think it pretty much being a re-skinned ANH didn't age super well.

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point in my experience, it's just sort of expected that everyone at least vaguely knows the twist because the "No, I am your father" line is just such a part of the pop culture lexicon. Keeping the focus squarely on Anakin's entire arc and filling out his character in the prequels pays off in a HUGE way when he is eventually redeemed. That is why this is my preferred order.

I liked TFA when it came out but (imo) the TLJ and TRoS trash fires retroactively make it worse. I can never, ever forgive the sequels for never having the Big 3 onscreen together at the same time. Just the easiest missed layup of all time. I also think it pretty much to being a re-skinned ANH didn't age super well.
Awakens is 100% a re-cut of Hope. A fine ending to the series imo.

Star Wars: A Definitive Ranking

This is Mother ‘Effin Star Wars, Man

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One

Quality Star Wars Flicks

4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of The Jedi
6. The Force Awakens

Good, Campy, Star Wars Fun

7. Solo: A Star Wars Story
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Caravan of Courage: Ewok Adventure

Abomination

12. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
13. The Last Jedi
Just speaking on the trilogies, the first one was great. The prequel trilogies, first one wasn't good IMO, second one was okay, third one was great just based on Obi Wan and Anakin's lightsaber duel. Third trilogy was lacking. For anyone who read Star Wars books, the original expanded universe was so much better. If they had worked off of that, I think those movies could have been great.

Just speaking on the trilogies, the first one was great. The prequel trilogies, first one wasn't good IMO, second one was okay, third one was great just based on Obi Wan and Anakin's lightsaber duel. Third trilogy was lacking. For anyone who read Star Wars books, the original expanded universe was so much better. If they had worked off of that, I think those movies could have been great.
The Admiral Thrawn series? I enjoyed those greatly.

The Thrawn Trilogy is one of the finest pieces of SW media that exists and I wish the Sequels would have adapted that tbh. Instead they went with....essentially Dark Empire? Gross lol

There is some GARBAGE EU content out there for sure.

The Admiral Thrawn series? I enjoyed those greatly.
The first three Timothy Zahn books. Started with Heir to the Empire. Forgetting the names of the other two books. But expanded universe went so much deeper. Before it became non-canon, they had advanced to a point where Luke had a teenage son training to be a Jedi. When they sold to Disney, they made that all non-canon.

Jaco Pastorius
Jon Paul Jones
Geddy Lee
Billy Sheehan
Ron Carter
Stanley Clarke
Cliff Burton
Tal Wilkenfeld
Billy Sherwood
Bootsy Collins
Chris Squire
Les Claypool

Just a few names who are vastly superior to McCartney in bass playing.
Add Flea, Geezer Butler, Roger Waters, and Barry Oakley to the list.

Jaco Pastorius
Jon Paul Jones
Geddy Lee
Billy Sheehan
Ron Carter
Stanley Clarke
Cliff Burton
Tal Wilkenfeld
Billy Sherwood
Bootsy Collins
Chris Squire
Les Claypool

Just a few names who are vastly superior to McCartney in bass playing.
Years ago, I went to see Bela Fleck in concert at Royce Hall at UCLA and my then-teenage nephew took his bass with him because Victor Wooten was one of his bass heroes. After the show, Victor hung around to greet fans and signed my nephew's bass. Kid was thrilled. Wooten is a freakin master, gotta say.

Edit: Should have mentioned, I went down to the stage with my nephew and Wooten was a really nice guy, very accessible and humble, almost seemed surprised that someone would want him to sign their guitar.

Last edited:
No such thing as too much Rocky Top!
It means as much the 1,000th time during a game where we’re kicking the crap out of the tide, gators, insert team here as it does when the team takes the field running through the T.

Blasphemy is not tolerated here.

Sing Rocky Top in penance for your transgressions.

Remember this at the end of this season.

15-0 🤠
Not after every first down

VN Store

Back