Recruiting Football Talk VII

You means guys that are switching to wooden bats and facing professional pitchers might suddenly not be quite as good at hitting? Unpossible.
Not only that but Trey Lipscomb is in the majors. Jordan Beck has had 2 seasons of 20+ home runs. Drew Gilbert hit 18 HR’s last year but was never a huge power guy. Jorel Ortega hit 14 HR’s and 75 RBI’s last year. Our guys are producing in the professional ranks.

My FIL was born in 1914 joined the army after Pearl Harbor, so 27+
He was called ”old man or pops” by his buddies because they were 17-19 years old.
His Lieutenant was 22
Wars are always fought by kids/young men😔
Not always..see the 77th ID...those "Old Bastards" kicked the 💩 out of the Japanese.

Also the "Old Contemptibles" the British Expeditionary Force which was the small but absolutely deadly professional British Army that they started WW1 with...those particular guys are the biggest reason why..in my opinion..the Germans Schlieffen plan ultimately failed.

It is true that war mostly fought by very young men for a lot of obvious reasons...but SOMETIMES..the old guys make the biggest difference.

Not arguing with you...your post just made me think about those "old" guys.

Isn’t true anyways….. our HR guys that went to the league absolutely still smash the baseball lol

Not only that but Trey Lipscomb is in the majors. Jordan Beck has had 2 seasons of 20+ home runs. Drew Gilbert hit 18 HR’s last year but was never a huge power guy. Jorel Ortega hit 14 HR’s and 75 RBI’s last year. Our guys are producing in the professional ranks.
Yeah, I just took it at face value, so my apologies to our pro-baseball Vols. But even if it were true, guys who are great in college (in any sport) are often worse in the pros just because it’s a step up in difficulty. The idea that it’s evidence that they were cheating in college is ludicrous.

While it may be the highest corporate contribution, Spyre generates a good chunk of money for NIL. It’s $5 million per year, and I would guess Spyre has some pretty good donors.
We need some super rich Vols to go A&M fans and make some stupid huge donations if we are going to do better than just compete for elite players in this no holds barred landscape going forward.

We need some super rich Vols to go A&M fans and make some stupid huge donations if we are going to do better than just compete for elite players in this no holds barred landscape going forward.
The interesting thing that UT can provide is more cash upon success as a player. I understand that guys want promises, but Jalin Hyatt and Dalton Knecht made boatloads of money at UT after great performances. The power in numbers.

Yeah, I just took it at face value, so my apologies to our pro-baseball Vols. But even if it were true, guys who are great in college (in any sport) are often worse in the pros just because it’s a step up in difficulty. The idea that it’s evidence that they were cheating in college is ludicrous.
We had a kid hitting .340 down in AA. Brought him up in September - all the sudden couldn’t hit a damn thing…

Shoulda brought his loaded bat up with him! 😵‍💫

I agree with your overall point, but the education standards back then were more rigorous. Laura Ingles Wilder taught poor farmer kids who could do things only really really smart kids can do today.

Intelligence and smart need to be defined.

Intelligence is capacity/abiloty to learn and apply.
Smart is intelligence + education/experience.

People are not more or less intelligent I'd think. The average smartness probably has gone up simply due to more widely available education.

But there is some truth in what he's saying that the top kids back then could do what we would consider advanced calculus and had the periodic table memorized in high school. But that's because they viewed it as higher education and by then filtered out anyone without the foundational learning required.
Someone was talking about the ACT scores - the test has changed. Social Studies isn’t even tested for any more:

• 1959 – The American College Testing Program was formed to administer the ACT Assessment, which was designed to help students make better decisions about which colleges to attend and which programs to study, and provide information helpful to colleges in the process of admitting students. The exam was administered for the first time in November, with more than 75,000 students taking the exam.
  • 1989 – ACT introduced a revised exam, replacing the Social Studies section with a Reading section and renaming the Natural Science section as Science. Updates to the Math and English sections were also made and the overall ACT became longer.
  • 2015 – ACT changed its scoring methodology. Students began receiving four new subscores for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), English language arts, career readiness and text complexity. In addition, the optional ACT Writing test changed, giving test-takers three perspectives on a topic and inviting analysis of those three perspectives.
  • 2019 – ACT announced that in 2020, students would be able to test online during national ACT test dates, take single section retests, and report their best individual section scores, also known as superscoring.
Of course, both the SAT and ACT have gone through many other changes through the years: splitting into different sections, addition/removal of various content, scoring methodology changes and more.

VN Store

Back