Recruiting Football Talk VII

Potential coaching candidates could also see that Calamehri didn't feel like he had support from the university or the fans. Why would a proven winning coach want to leave a positive stable situation wherever they are at to jump into a dumpster fire where you may lose the support of the fans, boosters, and AD if you don't win quickly enough for their liking? Might as well stay where you are. An up and comer is their best option, but they are so spoiled that they will throw an extinction burst level tantrum at the mere prospect of such a hire. This is a glorious thing to watch.
It is great. If I was writing a script it wouldn't be near as good.
HOF coach leaves elite basketball school in basketball state for Broke Back Sooie. Fans are happy he's gone because they know they can replace him with anyone whom they desire to bestow the blessing of being their coach. They publically send for the three of top names in the business and two of them make obscene gestures at them and the other moons them. In a complete hissy they hire a half goat/sheep boy who used to be their waterboy. Priceless.

Be sure and email KNS about what lovely journalist they have working down there s***tting on the university @Ulysees E. McGill look at this horse S***

John Adams needs to do better reporting than copy pasting some self righteous extreme feminist’s opinions as if it is newsworthy.

DW made a business decision, and a good one at that. That’s it. Kellie shouldn’t feel any ill will and neither should the fans. We gave her the opportunity. It didn’t work out as well as hoped for. That’s it.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Kentucky was publicly turned down twice?

Worse than that.

Publicly, three times: Oats, Scott, Hurley.

Privately, Donovan also turned them down.

The real surprise is all the potential coaches they could have got between Donovan and Pope that they didn't even pursue.

Y’all remember when McGill said money ruins everything, and it would never be what we loved again?
It will make the stories of dedication and perseverance that end with royalty all the more endearing.

At the end of the day, culture and process still wins out. It’s one thing to take a few talents that appear to be in it for the money, but the core of the purpose/motivation/priorities has to be the same. Hard work, Teamwork, and Winning. See Hurley UConn vs Calipari UK.

Oh lawd! Kim will be within 100 yards of Tony V. I thought we had to slowly acclimate her to the presence of Tony V. Now we are just throwing her into a building containing the man and hoping for the best?
Welp, it's the first pitch and TV will be right there. She may be on TV in more ways than one. They're showing it on national television too!

Reactions: knoxvol52
I would be willing to sit on the opposite side of the stadium from Tony V and create a hotness counterbalance. Just need someone to send me a ticket to the game and provide transportation to and from my home.
Tony V. seeing @Glitch at the ballgame...

tenor.gif

Worse than that.

Publicly, three times: Oats, Scott, Hurley.

Privately, Donovan also turned them down.

The real surprise is all the potential coaches they could have got between Donovan and Pope that they didn't even pursue.
Barnhart definitely panicked and hired a guy he knew would 100% say yes.

Absolutely ridiculous golfers have to play in that wind while the guys who played in the early morning had great weather yesterday…and their scores reflect that. Not sure why this hasn’t been discussed more in golf
Is it not just part of the luck of the draw? Don’t disagree it stinks if you’re on the bad end of it but don’t see how you control that. Delays in sports are usually only due to safety concerns, not decreased performance concerns. I wonder what the consequences could be for all parties involved if they had to delay to ensure the conditions were equal for all participants. Bet viewership in person and via television would tank.

They didn't "get rid" of him either. He wasn't fired. He decided that it was worth walking away from a $32M buyout to get away from the ridiculous expectations and verbal abuse. That should be cautionary and instructive for us here, but I doubt the usual suspects are smart enough to figure it out. Makes you wonder why Coach Barnes seriously considered UCLA. Or maybe you shouldn't wonder. Thank goodness DW was willing to do what it took to keep the man, rather than indulge his hubris and go find a "winner".

As for how it applies to us, just pointing out that DW's handling of the LV has risks, but far more potential reward, whereas the path that many here would insist on looks a lot like what KY has done. KY is a "basketball school" with pedigree, and they still fell face first in crap. I'll take DW's approach every time, particularly since he's demonstrated some aptitude at picking winners.

Which is why I specifically used the term "get rid" vs fired.

The rabid fanbase, boosters, media, and his icy relationship with the athletic department made it clear that his services were no longer welcome in Lexington. They were, in essence, intentionally trying to fire him without being liable for the $32M buyout. Hell, we snitched on our football coach to essentially do the same thing. The difference obviously being that Cal is a HOF coach, still pumping insane amounts of talent through UK to the NBA, and still having a competitive program outside of the postseason snafus of the past couple years.

As for UCLA, I believe Barnes grew up a UCLA fan due to Wooden and that was his dream job (I freely admit I could be remembering that wrong). Ironically, Cal has said privately (according to people who know him well) that he regrets turning down UCLA (when Barnes was also considering it) as that would have been the perfect time to leave UK in retrospect.

TB saying that Aidoo wanted more money than Knecht made this season so that’s part of why he’s leaving. Essentially another school is going to overpay for him. I like Aidoo a lot and it sucks to lose him, but I would probably do the same for that type of $$.
How much money we talking about?

Is it not just part of the luck of the draw? Don’t disagree it stinks if you’re on the bad end of it but don’t see how you control that. Delays in sports are usually only due to safety concerns, not decreased performance concerns. I wonder what the consequences could be for all parties involved if they had to delay to ensure the conditions were equal for all participants. Bet viewership in person and via television would tank.
Trust me I get that just sucks

VN Store

Back