Recruiting Football Talk VII

Hey now. Without YouTube, I wouldn't have so easily known how to repair my car, the microwave, the washing machine, the shower diverter, and much, much more.
I thought about that when I hit "post reply."

But YouTube lead to Tic-Tok and all that BS..............So yea.............screw TJ. ;)

This is a ridiculous video. Wetzl and Forde should be ashamed of themselves. I would expect nothing more from someone wearing a Memphis Tigers hoodie.
Can you imagine if they were making fun of a black athlete's name? Would that be okay? Why do they think it's okay to disrespect polynesians?

After reading thoughts on the LS.

I'm starting to think through what ifs. What if there is no NCAA?

Who will take the mantle of rules enforcement? There HAS to be some sort of agreed upon oversight.

SEC cant even agree on a scheduling format.

Before this lawsuit guess i'd always hated the NCAA. But was ambivalent to the possibly of dissolution.

What next? Should Washington step in with legislation governing enforcement? Seems like most logical step.

Should the States, er the conferences attempt to Unionize, er galvanize behind one Supreme Leader, er Emporer, er Commissioner?

There is too much money at stake. Athletes livlihood are at stake. Universities bottom lines. And then the folks who make a living working and supporting these Universities.

NCAA should look in the mirror as ask the pertinent questions, such as 'is what i'm doing best for this sport?'

'Is it more about us, or, student athlete?'

'Are Tennessee's transgressions truly that abhorrent, or, are we really just wanting to save face?'

'Should we just admit we're wrong?'

The outcome of this lawsuit, and the glacial impact it has dredging CFB along with it will have a detrimental effect. No way we go back to any shred of normalcy.

It is my sincere hope that someone with some sort of ability to make change will smack NCAA on the nose with newspaper and say 'no'. 'Bad boy.' And that they will make necessary changes. Unfortunately, being honest I dont think their collective egos will allow that.

TN will have to leave the NCAA.

I don’t know if it has been discussed here but Adam Sparks was on Basilio yesterday. He said that we shouldn’t be surprised if we wake up and find that the NCAA has suspended Nico. It will likely be their next move. Then he said that we shouldn’t be surprised to see Tennessee give them the double Gaulden’s and play him anyway.
That's their MO. Remember Maui Ahuna. He missed 8 games and UT self-suspended Tony V 3 games for a trivial, unintentional L3 violation. That's ludicrous for an L3, but UT bent over backward to try and obtain a quick resolution so Ahuna could play. Play nice with a bully and the bully wants more. Different strategy this time around. UT's disdain comes through loud and clear in the chancellor's letter, and it's unlikely to change.

Who will take the mantle of rules enforcement? There HAS to be some sort of agreed upon oversight.

Before this lawsuit guess i'd always hated the NCAA. But was ambivalent to the possibly of dissolution.

What next? Should Washington step in with legislation governing enforcement? Seems like most logical step.

Should the States, er the conferences attempt to Unionize, er galvanize behind one Supreme Leader, er Emporer, er Commissioner?

There is too much money at stake. Athletes livlihood are at stake. Universities bottom lines. And then the folks who make a living working and supporting these Universities.

NCAA should look in the mirror as ask the pertinent questions, such as 'is what i'm doing best for this sport?'

'Are Tennessee's transgressions truly that abhorrent, or, are we really just wanting to save face?'

The outcome of this lawsuit, and the glacial impact it has dredging CFB along with it will have a detrimental effect. No way we go back to any shred of normalcy.

It is my sincere hope that someone with some sort of ability to make change will smack NCAA on the nose with newspaper and say 'no'. 'Bad boy.' And that they will make necessary changes. Unfortunately, being honest I dont think their collective egos will allow that.

Easiest answer is just stop trying to enforce payments of any type. It has always happened and enforcement has seemed arbitrary and in many instances was weaponized against a few. Manage what you should good refs, player safety, calendars etc.

So in my example schools could absolutely get hit for recruiting inside dead periods, but not for saying they will pay a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devo182

There needs to be an oversight org that is/has checks and balances. The NCAA==the Universities==The NCAA. There are no checks. There are no balances. The fox is running the hen house. Any structure going forward must build in oversight of the colluding/enforcement members.

What Spyre did with Nico is literally the blueprint of how every other collective structured themselves and write contracts. If they enforce against UT/Spyre, they have to attack every other program/collective in the system.

Their claims against Spyre/UT per inducement are apparently factually wrong, and Spyre quotes the contract to prove it. No reason to confess wrongdoing there, IMO.

Their claims that Spyre/jet/Nico was improper recruiting is apparently factually untrue, according to Spyre and Knoxville reporting. No reason to confess wrongdoing there, IMO.

If we were on the wrong side of any current rules, it is morally bankrupt to charge us for what was not illegal at the time. No reason to confess wrongdoing there, IMO.

UT is facing repeat offender status. Why on earth would they roll over and accept it? It'd hammer the program and set it back another 10 years. Just to appease an immoral, totalitarian system that was created to horde money and prevent paying the cash cows?

There it was. NCAA wants student athletes to commit/sign to a school then do an NIL agreement/contract. That’s not going to fly with anyone including the courts.
This would absolutely curtail an athlete’s ability to earn a fair market value for their NIL opportunities.
How? If anything, signing with a school would drastically increase a kid's NIL valuation. Assuming by NIL value you mean "The value of their name, image, and likeness". If you mean NIL as a stand in for their pay-to-play market value... That's the number that goes down after they have already signed.

Which is the NCAA's primary point. A point I agree with. There are two major problems:

1) State laws on the books that make enforcing that rules against NIL on kids before they have signed illegal. Because of this, even if I agree with the principle, the NCAA does not have the ability to violate state law in pursuit of its rules.

2) A system where everyone is guilty between 2021-2023. So the NCAA can just arbitrarily pick and choose who they want to apply enforcement to. So because the NCAA had zero foresight and made it the wild west for two years, they get rewarded with a free pass to go after any school by retroactively applying current rules (that violate state law anyway)?

The combination is obviously untenable. It was always going to end this way. It was just a matter of what state/school was going to end it.

It's a shame. The idea that we are a billion dollar sport with personnel costs being paid out by people working 9-5's like the Volunteer Club is absurd. But we are here because the adults in the room (NCAA and others) are dumb ****s.

I'd rather be punched in the mouth
dickflick-kennypowers.gif

VN Store

Back