Recruiting Football Talk VII

Anyone listen to swain today? Apparently he was very critical of recruiting but I didn’t hear it today. Just saw someone on Twitter talking about it

Anyone listen to swain today? Apparently he was very critical of recruiting but I didn’t hear it today. Just saw someone on Twitter talking about it

I get it we didn’t land a top 5 class but we also are all about to watch the ~16th best roster (Michigan) play the ~30th best roster (Washington) for a national title.

NIL, the transfer portal and the playoff may finally be changing the formula for how to win titles. Stacking top 5 classes may no longer be the guarantee/necessity it once was.

That’s what I hope is happening anyway.

Time will tell!

He was talking about whoever recruits the o-line needs to close better. He said it may not be the o line coach as sometimes the position coach doesn't always recruit that position. As his main recruiter was the RB coach.

Reactions: drvenner and ugg
Exactly, this current signing class more than likely has very little impact on the next two seasons. Nico's two-year window will make or break Heupel's tenure at Tennessee.
I think we can chill out on that a little bit... From what I've seen, Nico's floor is very high. It seems highly unlikely barring injury that he is anything but a top 5 QB in the SEC in the next two seasons.

But statements like this make it sound like we have a Caleb Williams or even a Cam Newton for the next two years. I'm not saying we definitely don't but that is not the sort of thing you can assume before you've seen more evidence than one start.

I think we have a major asset there and Heupel and company over paying to make sure we can protect him is a no brainer. Not sure it's fair to say Nico is a generational player and it's NC or bust for Heupel. Maybe we are saying that for the 2025 season but not yet.

Hopefully we have GMac come in right behind him and we have solid QB play locked up for a long while here.

I think we can chill out on that a little bit... From what I've seen, Nico's floor is very high. It seems highly unlikely barring injury that he is anything but a top 5 QB in the SEC in the next two seasons.

But statements like this make it sound like we have a Caleb Williams or even a Cam Newton for the next two years. I'm not saying we definitely don't but that is not the sort of thing you can assume before you've seen more evidence than one start.

I think we have a major asset there and Heupel and company over paying to make sure we can protect him is a no brainer. Not sure it's fair to say Nico is a generational player and it's NC or bust for Heupel. Maybe we are saying that for the 2025 season but not yet.

Hopefully we have GMac come in right behind him and we have solid QB play locked up for a long while here.
Skip over Merk at your own peril.

Yeah who wants an OL that helps a team be the #1 offense in the country and follows up with #1 rushing attack in the SEC
It's truly MINDBOGGLING

I can at least fathom the Martinez...maybe, maybe even the Banks disappointment...but our ******** OL?!?

Do these people even watch?!?

I think we need to discuss our lack of a scholarship kicker and how that is a complete and udder (yes I know) failure by this staff that's gonna come back and bite them in the butt.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't think we should fire any coaches, unless CWM has signed an extension that hasn't been announced. Just let his contract expire.

VN Store

Back