Recruiting Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not been anything, most likely seems that Reese is on pace to graduate and transfer elsewhere. Typically you don't see a JUCO come in and transfer out for his senior season making him have to sit a year, so that eliminated Punter and Baulkman most likely. You would think that Tyndall likely won't run off any of his guys so that eliminates Mostella, Owens, McGhee and Carmichael most likely, although I will say one of the 3 freshman posts could say they want out because of the log jam. You doubt Moore going into his senior year would, that just leaves Hubbs, hard to know but hard to imagine him leaving and sitting out now, seems he would've left with the change.

In my opinion from most likely to least likely...

Reese
Mostella
Owens
McGhee
Carmichael
Hubbs
Baulkman
Punter
Moore

I hope McGhee does not leave. I like his hustle and he will be a very good player.

VQ is saying the staff loved what they saw in Rob Gray and are about to go all in on him, he's originally from North Carolina and has an aunt that lives in Knoxville...Gonzaga, Colorado, Creighton and Texas Tech are all involved with him, but the idea of coming back closer to him apparently is appealing.

Sounds like after an in person evaluation from CDT things are likely to cool a bit with Kimani Jackson, which is really not all that surprising to me at least.

Tennessee does not need more 6'8" 200lb post guys, they want to add size, so I think ideally they're gonna pass on Jackson, Hicks etc.

The other thing Tennessee needs to consider, at least IMO, is balancing the classes. Heading into next year you'll have: 4 seniors, 1 junior, 3 sophomores and 3 freshman. Rob Gray would go into the sophomore class, Jackson and Hicks also would, I think while 3 years of eligibility is nice you're creating a mass log jam and stunting development. I would look to add Gray, a normal JUCO that would come in as a junior, and either a grad transfer, another JUCO, or a freshman only if he's highky rated or a can't miss potential guy.

Kyle Meyer should be high on this staffs list imo, 6'10" 225lbs, and a 38% shooter from 3, very similar to the big white guy from Vandy last night that can bang inside and stretch the defense as well. He's on their radar but hasn't seemed very high, that should change IMO.

I would also to a lesser extent even consider Brandon Walters from Walter State, he's definitely a big guy, in the 6'10" 285lbs range, but he's averaging 14ppg 8rpg and shooting 50% from 3...if he has continued to make a commitment to improving his conditioning I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a look as a late fall back.

One more thought...outside of Richardson we see the struggles everyone has to score. NOW, let me say, in an ideal world Gray is a facilitator and can create and setup up for others better than Richardson, Hubbs becomes a 5* junior like Hopdon or McRae, Baulkman becomes consistent after surgery, Mostella makes a huge leap and Punter becomes a 15ppg guy in his senior season...HOWEVER, that's a lot of ifs and a lot of hoping, you have to look at, what if none of those wings make a big jump? I have been opposed to bringing in anymore wings, but maybe a JUCO wing that can fill it up like a Ty Outlaw wouldn't be a bad idea if you've got the room.

Last edited:
VQ is saying the staff loved what they saw in Rob Gray and are about to go all in on him, he's originally from North Carolina and has an aunt that lives in Knoxville...Gonzaga, Colorado, Creighton and Texas Tech are all involved with him, but the idea of coming back closer to him apparently is appealing.

Sounds like after an in person evaluation from CDT things are likely to cool a bit with Kimani Jackson, which is really not all that surprising to me at least.

Tennessee does not need more 6'8" 200lb post guys, they want to add size, so I think ideally they're gonna pass on Jackson, Hicks etc.

The other thing Tennessee needs to consider, at least IMO, is balancing the classes. Heading into next year you'll have: 4 seniors, 1 junior, 4 sophomores and 2 freshman. Rob Gray would go into the sophomore class, Jackson and Hicks also would, I think while 3 years of eligibility is nice you're creating a mass log jam and stunting development. I would look to add Gray, a normal JUCO that would come in as a junior, and either a grad transfer, another JUCO, or a freshman only if he's highky rated or a can't miss potential guy.

Kyle Meyer should be high on this staffs list imo, 6'10" 225lbs, and a 38% shooter from 3, very similar to the big white guy from Vandy last night that can bang inside and stretch the defense as well. He's on their radar but hasn't seemed very high, that should change IMO.

I would also to a lesser extent even consider Brandon Walters from Walter State, he's definitely a big guy, in the 6'10" 285lbs range, but he's averaging 14ppg 8rpg and shooting 50% from 3...if he has continued to make a commitment to improving his conditioning I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a look as a late fall back.

One more thought...outside of Richardson we see the struggles everyone has to score. NOW, let me say, in an ideal world Gray is a facilitator and can create and setup up for others better than Richardson, Hubbs becomes a 5* junior like Hopdon or McRae, Baulkman becomes consistent after surgery, Mostella makes a huge leap and Punter becomes a 15ppg guy in his senior season...HOWEVER, that's a lot of ifs and a lot of hoping, you have to look at, what if none of those wings make a big jump? I have been opposed to bringing in anymore wings, but maybe a JUCO wing that can fill it up like a Ty Outlaw wouldn't be a bad idea if you've got the room.

Of the 4 sophomores, I'm assuming McGhee is counted in there, but he would actually be a rFR, so that helps space that class out a little.

Of the 4 sophomores, I'm assuming McGhee is counted in there, but he would actually be a rFR, so that helps space that class out a little.

Good catch, I edited that, thanks. Let's just assume for a minute Tennessee lands Gray, next season breakdown...

4 seniors- Reese, Moore, Punter, Baulkman
1 junior- Hubbs
4 sophomore- Owens, Carmichael, Mostella, Gray
3 freshman- Phillips, Schofield, McGhee

That leaves room for 1 more players, possibly 2 if someone is leaving, I would definitely look to the junior ranks for a big and probably a scoring wing if you can find a high level one. That would really even the classes out.

Reactions: 1 person
Good catch, I edited that, thanks. Let's just assume for a minute Tennessee lands Gray, next season breakdown...

1 junior- Hubbs

That leaves room for 1 more players, possibly 2 if someone is leaving, I would definitely look to the junior ranks for a big and probably a scoring wing if you can find a high level one. That would really even the classes out.

One question. Will Bonds be on scholarship or do you think he will still be a walk on?

I believe he will remain a walk on unless there's just an extra a scholarship available like we saw this season with Campbell

Gotcha.

I think what you mentioned with Punter and Baulkman is something that may become a big topic next season. IF those two don't improve and become the shooters/scorers that we need then will the question of CDT really developing players come out or will we just label them as busts? JMO.

1 junior- Hubbs

Taking two more JUCOs or a JUCO and grad transfer would really help to add balance. That would also develop the roster to the point of not needing to rely heavily on JUCOs going forward, which is something Tyndall recently stated he wanted to get away from.

1 junior- Hubbs

I'm looking forward to watching this team. But more so than that...The orange team should be awesome on its way to the NCAA Championship!

Gotcha.

I think what you mentioned with Punter and Baulkman is something that may become a big topic next season. IF those two don't improve and become the shooters/scorers that we need then will the question of CDT really developing players come out or will we just label them as busts? JMO.

That's the issue with JUCO's, only 2 years to develop them, and typically half of year 1 at least is them adjusting to the length and speed of the game.

Taking two more JUCOs or a JUCO and grad transfer would really help to add balance. That would also develop the roster to the point of not needing to rely heavily on JUCOs going forward, which is something Tyndall recently stated he wanted to get away from.

Exactly my thoughts while typing that. He almost by saying that was basically setting us up to expect 2-3 JUCO players added this spring, and then from there you would see few which would be a positive sign IMO.

I'm looking forward to watching this team. But more so than that...The orange team should be awesome on its way to the NCAA Championship!

I know you're giddy for all things orange, and have probably the most orange tinted glasses of us all, but typically your NCAA champion teams aren't chock full of a bunch of 3*. Would it be awesome to prove everyone wrong, absolutely, but one thing I've learned over the years of watching CBB and rooting for Tennessee is don't expect firsts for things and miracles, the laws of average tend to work out, meaning if that squad is gonna win a national championship there is going to have to be some star power added to it IMO

Exactly my thoughts while typing that. He almost by saying that was basically setting us up to expect 2-3 JUCO players added this spring, and then from there you would see few which would be a positive sign IMO.

I expect that. I just hope whether it is JUCO or high school we get a legit PG and a couple of above average post men.

Outside of Gray things could be quiet for awhile, I would expect they wanna see what out there for grad transfers before they take flyers on JUCO bigs or wings

Which isn't that bad. If he can just learn he's not a guard

The problem is though, is he's not really a post player either. He rebounds well, but he can't create much offensively from the block and he can't defend SEC PFs in the paint.

I know you're giddy for all things orange, and have probably the most orange tinted glasses of us all, but typically your NCAA champion teams aren't chock full of a bunch of 3*. Would it be awesome to prove everyone wrong, absolutely, but one thing I've learned over the years of watching CBB and rooting for Tennessee is don't expect firsts for things and miracles, the laws of average tend to work out, meaning if that squad is gonna win a national championship there is going to have to be some star power added to it IMO

I'm giddy for all things BLUE and GOLD. Those are my Alma Mater's colors. Go Rams!

And you are so right...it would be AWESOME to prove y'all wrong. BTW...I believe in Miracles even with the 3*!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back