Recruiting Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derrick Walker Jr. has narrowed his list to 3: Tennessee, St. John's and Georgia...Walker has already used 4/5 official visits, he will use his last this upcoming weekend on a visit to Knoxville. He will then unofficially visit Georgia and St. John's before making a final decision, have to think him choosing Tennessee for his final official is a positive sign.

I have now made an individual recruit thread for Walker here: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...-17-mo-pf-derrick-walker-jr.html#post13409005

I meant in terms of ability and style, but is Williams really only 6-6?

Gotcha, I agree with that thought, think I even said it early on when the offer to Walker was reported. Walker appears to be in better shape than Williams was at this stage of their careers, so that's a positive as well. I think as you mentioned he's not as developed away from the basket as Williams, but I do think he's probably more of a developed/willing bruiser down low than Williams.

I think Williams is probably 6'6"-6'7", Walker to me from watching some of his tape looks taller than that, I could be wrong but JMO

So previously the depth chart looked like:

Seniors: Hubbs, Evans
Juniors: Mostella
Sophomores: Alexander, Schofield, Phillips
Freshman: Turner, Bone, Parker, Bowden, Fulkerson, Williams, Johnson

Hypothetically now next year:

Seniors: Mostella
Juniors: Alexander, Philips
Sophomores: Turner, Bone, Parker, Bowden, Fulkerson**, Williams
Freshman: Johnson, Kent, Pons, Walker Jr.

**Fulkerson could also be moved to freshman class if he applies for a medical redshirt

Much better balance in the classes with redshirts and possibly 3 signees in 2017

Last edited:
Realistically what's our chances with Pons and/or Walker? Trying not to get my hopes up.

In my personal opinion, better with Pons than with Walker. Having said that, Walker only has 3 schools left to choose from on his lists while Pons doesn't have that many really because he's basically unknown. So, you could call it a toss-up I guess.

Reactions: 1 person
Any word if Jr Clay PG from McCallie (Chattanooga) is being looked at by UT? He is a 2018 kid and very good. I saw him play this year and he's grown a little. Probably 6'. I saw him play last year as a sophomore, he more than held his own against Jordan Bone and the kid from Hamilton Heights who signed with Kentucky.

Saw him tonight, will see him tomorrow and Thursday at least at Arby's Classic.

Very small. Would be a walk-on talent IMO. Didn't see enough from him to think he's even ETSU good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Very small. Would be a walk-on talent IMO. Didn't see enough from him to think he's even ETSU good. Hopefully I'm wrong.
He's also class of 2018. He's got two years to improve.

Also, factor in the poor level of competition, you play up to or below your competition. I feel like that's why a vast majority of E. TN guys are overlooked. People think their game won't translate to college but in most cases than not, it will.

So previously the depth chart looked like:

Seniors: Hubbs, Evans
Juniors: Mostella
Sophomores: Alexander, Schofield, Phillips
Freshman: Turner, Bone, Parker, Bowden, Fulkerson, Williams, Johnson

Hypothetically now next year:

Seniors: Mostella
Juniors: Alexander, Philips
Sophomores: Turner, Bone, Parker, Bowden, Fulkerson**, Williams
Freshman: Johnson, Kent, Pons, Walker Jr.

**Fulkerson could also be moved to freshman class if he applies for a medical redshirt

Much better balance in the classes with redshirts and possibly 3 signees in 2017

Looks way more balanced than we originally thought. This team will be dangerous if we can keep them mostly all together in Phillips senior year!

He's about 5'11" - 6' But a 2018 kid and looks like he will grow A little more. I've seen him against Jordan Bone head to head, and the kids from Hamilton Heights. Also saw him play agains Oak Hill last year as a sophomore. He will definately play D-1 basketball somewhere. No one ever really looks amazing in the system McCallie runs, but it's a good system and they are a well coached team. But in the Oak Hill game, and in most of there big games he kinda takes over and keeps them in it. Fun to watch.

Junior year highlights so far.

Junior year Highlights - Junior Clay highlights - Hudl

Last edited:
He's about 5'11" - 6' But a 2018 kid and looks like he will grow A little more. I've seen him against Jordan Bone head to head, and the kids from Hamilton Heights. Also saw him play agains Oak Hill last year as a sophomore. He will definately play D-1 basketball somewhere. No one ever really looks amazing in the system McCallie runs, but it's a good system and they are a well coached team. But in the Oak Hill game, and in most of there big games he kinda takes over and keeps them in it. Fun to watch.

Junior year highlights so far.

Junior year Highlights - Junior Clay highlights - Hudl

I've saw him 3 nights in a row, and have some crow to eat. Team is rolling through a good field, and his play as well as others are to show for it. Should/Will play D1 basketball. It he grows and improves, its possible he's a Vol. At this point, still a W/O here, but Chatt/Belmont/Appy/ETSU really need to give him a look. Strong player for his size.

I've saw him 3 nights in a row, and have some crow to eat. Team is rolling through a good field, and his play as well as others are to show for it. Should/Will play D1 basketball. It he grows and improves, its possible he's a Vol. At this point, still a W/O here, but Chatt/Belmont/Appy/ETSU really need to give him a look. Strong player for his size.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. He has another year to grow and get better, but should definately play D1 somewhere. Good to see McCallie doing good at the Arby's Classic.

Wouldn't surprise me that we'd need to go get 3 more for this class. Attrition is crazy under CRB. I'm not complaining though.

How many has there been? I wouldn't count anyone when he took the job because that's routine anywhere I feel, so just kasongo after season 1, and so far just Mostella season 2? That's CBB, it's extremely rare for a team not to lose at least 1 if not more each season, if 2-3 leave after the season I would consider that crazy, but 1-2 a year is the norm for CBB.

If I was CRB I would push for Pons & Walker and then see what happens, if someone leaves after the season look for a graduate transfer guard/wing to give you a 2018 scholarship. JMO

How many has there been? I wouldn't count anyone when he took the job because that's routine anywhere I feel, so just kasongo after season 1, and so far just Mostella season 2? That's CBB, it's extremely rare for a team not to lose at least 1 if not more each season, if 2-3 leave after the season I would consider that crazy, but 1-2 a year is the norm for CBB.

If I was CRB I would push for Pons & Walker and then see what happens, if someone leaves after the season look for a graduate transfer guard/wing to give you a 2018 scholarship. JMO

You forgot McGhee.

You forgot McGhee.

Didn't forget him, just would group him with the "when he took the job" crowd. I know he stayed and played a few games, but to me he appeared to have one foot out the door and the limited playing time like most Barnes' players have seen from time to time just pushed him out.

Just now catching up. Had the same idea in another thread. Should have came here instead of the player thread 1st. Overall, I am still excited about recruiting to come. In-state has a lot of good players in 18' and 19' and if we are winning, watch out.

4* FL PF

52a3393c85b126ad1e90b5c4b38cdaff.png

Tennessee was in to see '17 Darien Jackson last night, a 2 guard out of Kansas...they've also checked out a few JUCO guards, looks like they may be trying to bring a guard in with the '17 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back